Forums
Posted By: Mark Sony demos new screen technology - 11th Apr 2007 8:58am
[Linked Image]
Sony has been showing off a 19.2inch flat screen display
in Japan that uses a technology called FED
(Field Emission Display). FED is similar to the
SED technology that Canon has been trying to
perfect for some years now.

The really interesting part is that the screen has a contrast ratio of 20,000: 1,
which means it has vastly better contrast performance than the best plasma and LCD tellies
currently available. The high contrast ratio means the display can show more shadow detail
in darker scenes and produce much more naturally looking skin tones. The other advantage of
FED displays is that they consume less power.

Unfortunately, Sony says that the high price of the technology means that FED screens will initially be targeted at professionals rather consumers. The company doesn’t expect to ship its first FED display until 2009
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Sony demos new screen technology - 11th Apr 2007 11:41am
I have said for years that SED is the future anyway, FED will be a stepping stone whilst they correct SED, but mind you the new OLED displays that Sony were displaying last year looked hellishly vibrant even when compared to even an AGCRT.

OLED (or a technology based upon its principles) is the eventual way forward, nobody talks about it much, but its beautiful and uses next to no power. It will crack the notebook market first and then move onto the home market with all these "green" issues in recent years.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Sony demos new screen technology - 11th Apr 2007 6:03pm
FED? SED?? OLED??? I give up! learn
Posted By: Mark Re: Sony demos new screen technology - 12th Apr 2007 1:08am
FED = (Field Emission Display)
SED = "I dont know" doh (It was in the article)
OLED = Ask Matty as know one knows what he's on about.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Sony demos new screen technology - 12th Apr 2007 1:22am
SED - Surface Electron Display
OLED - Organic Light Emmiting Diode

OLED's are interesting, as they are alive! omg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral