Forums
Posted By: Mark Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 10:18am
Not my strongest subject,
but what would you say is the best price to quality
mobile phone out there??

I'm discovering youtube lol

I am bias to Nokia.

But which do you think is value for money - v - Quality.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 12:40pm
Samsung D900....slimmest 3.0 megapixel camera phone on the market...apparently....and the colours on the phone are incredible...only thing is the price..so i got mine on contract, which a mate who worked at T-mobile sorted out for me...im now payin 20 squid a month..friends and family..free 512 mb memory card free internet....very good in my books
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 12:43pm
I'd agree with Craig.

I have the D600 and thats a pretty decent phone, camera quality is good (Only a 2MP compared to the D900), good audio quality and a memory slot for upgrading memory.

Samsung happy
Posted By: Mark Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 1:27pm
Samsung SGH-D900 Ultra-Slim Mobile Phone

Looks, seems good and the review i found seems pretty decent.

I'm wondering what Nokia have to offer?
Posted By: Pomp Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 2:58pm
Check out the ratings for this phone.
All 9 out of 10 of:

Feature
Usability
Value
Overall

Link shows images/pics taken with the phone
Sony Ericsson K800i
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 3:11pm
Best phone I have used for photo's is by far the Sony Erricson K800i, its also the only phone to incroporate a real flash and uses the same optics as Sony's lower end Cybershot camera's, hence the Cybershot branding.

I think you are all forgetting the N95 has now come to market, and offers a extremely refined 5.0 megapixel camera, which uses Carl Ziess optic's. It doesnt suffer from the shortcomings in colour reproduction that the N73 suffers from, and the optics are even better, so it should right now be the very best camera phone on the market atm.

For video, the best phone would certainly be the N93 and N95, they have near-DVD quality recording. The only downer with the N93 is the fact it is big, and the N95 is it is expensive atm. But then it has intergrated GPS and a million other gadgets on it so...

The N93 also has the advantage of 3.1x optical zoom.

I dunno where people have got the idea that Samsung's are the best on the market to be honest, they, like Motorola's, tend to only offer adequate quality when it comes to imaging, as the manufacturers tend to go for design rather then quality of features.

Here are the pics:

1. Sony Ericsson K800i - Currently the best affordable camera phone on the market. Has a real Xenon flash for taking night photo's and it really is amazing. Battery life is also exceptional, a place where all Nokia's suffer. Video recording is CIF, and is therefore weak, even the Nokia N70 has QCIF.

2. The Nokia N95 - The newest, best and most expensive camera phone on the market currently. Won't be beaten until Sony release the K850 for photographs, and probably wont be beaten for at least another generation or two for video quality.

3. The Nokia N93 - The previous best video camera phone, offers similar quality to the N95 but in a larger format and slightly less refined. Has the advantage of optical zoom however.

Attached picture 431-sony_ericsson_k800i.jpg
Attached picture 432-nokia-n95-331.jpg
Attached picture 433-nokia_n93_b.jpg
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 5:02pm
That N95 basically looks like a camera..with the added option of bein a phone...im also guessing that the prices for the N95 and N93 would be pretty steep..the samsung is not the most expensive..but with a good quality camera....suppose it all depends on how much your willing to spend
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 5:12pm
The K800i is cheaper then the Samsung D900 and offers much better photo quality, it was the best camera phone until the N95 came out.

If any, it is the K800i that looks like a camera with the added features of a phone, however, this is not a true statement for either the K800i, N93 or N95, they are all excellent phones and offer many more features and ease of use with regards to phones then comparable Samsung or Motorola phones.

The N93 is fast coming down in price due to the recent launch of the N95. They can be picked up for free on £30 a month contracts now and have been removed from Expansys, so they will be at clearance price now, and extremely comparable to the D900. It will become even cheaper with the launch of the N93i in the not too distant future. They are still not the cheapest, but the topic is the "best" video, not the cheapest.

To be honest, for affordable video, I would actually recommend the likes of the 6680/N70/N73 etc, they offer QCIF quality video recording, and are as cheap as chips.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 5:40pm
Just for reference, I am finding the N93 is around the £230 level on average, however I have been able to find it for £180. The D900 seems to be around the £200 level, so the price is certainly comparable, and the N93 will go lower in price when the N93i is released and N95 becomes more widely available next month.

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 6:21pm
Yes the Sony Ericsson K800i is a decent phone and the camera quality and flash are amazing, but 2 of my mates in work had one and the crappy joystick-like naviation button broke on both.

Good phone, great quality camera, just a crap design that lets it down - Hence why I'd recommend the D900.

The D900 compared to the others is also slim and has larger and less akward buttons than the other two. I mean, take a look at the N95 and how many buttons there are, the size of them and how close together they are thumbsdown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 7:03pm
But the D900 "cannot" even be compared to the N93/N95 for video quality.

So why people are still talking about it is beyond me.

The thread is for the best video quality, im not sure where the design comes into it... Plus i personally prefer the N95 design to the D900, or indeed any Samsung.

And the K800i is amazingly designed imho, I had a limited edition silver one for a couple of months and it is certainly on of the best looking phones on the market right now, and compared to Scotts E900, the build quality of the phone is just so much better.

And nobody at all can slate the N93 in any way for button's, it is a nigh on perfect design, just a shame its a bit big (although much smaller then a MiniDV camcorder and equal, if not better, video quality).

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 7:13pm
True, the topic is about the best picture and video quality.

On that alone, I'd definately agree with your 3 choices.

If a decent camera is all you're after though, I'd spend the money on a camera, not a camera phone.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 7:22pm
Thats true, you could MiniDV or DVD camcorder for cheaper then most phones.

smile
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 10:46pm
ive had a digital camera for about 2 years..and its only a 2.8 megapixel one...thats 2 less than the ....wait for it....SAMSUNG D900 hahahahaha........dont worry matty....ill stop now
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 23rd Mar 2007 10:53pm
What does the number of pixels have to do with anything??

wink
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 24th Mar 2007 12:19am
better quality picture
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 24th Mar 2007 12:22am
Picture quality has absolutely nothing to do with the pixel count im afraid.

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 24th Mar 2007 9:16am
Megapixels simply determine the detail that is possible to capture in a digital camera on the ccd (the more the detail, the larger the picture)

I've had a 3MP camera for years and the quality on it is far worse than a picture taken on my 2MP camera phone
Posted By: jonah Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 24th Mar 2007 12:10pm
i've got a nokia n91, and that is really good but am upgradin soon to the n95, personal preference really but just find nokia simple to use.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 1st Apr 2007 10:33am
The Nokia's might be good quality photos but they are ugly, unreliable pieces of crap In my opinion.

All of my friends who have had Nokia recently have had to return them or upgrade the firmware countless times.

The sony is a very nice phone with loads of really good features, but the control stick is prone to collecting dust and it eventually gives up the ghost (I went through about 5 different sonys)

Samsung is by far the best phone, reliability, good features, Ok camera quality.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 1st Apr 2007 2:31pm
I had the 6600, 6630, 6680 and N70 one after the other, and never every had a single problem with any. The 6600 was not only way ahead of its time, but also great looking, as was the 6630. The 6680 was a bit of hit and miss with regards to looks, the N70 was much improved. The N73 is one of the nicest looking fones on the market, as are the N75, N95 and N93i, recently Nokia have really started to work on producing classy design's in their high end phones.

They all run Symbian v7/v8 (well the Nokia developed Series60 release of it), so how they can be classed as "unreliable", I don't know. Mind you, it seems manufacturers like Samsung are still trying to get their heads around SymbianOS, hence they are scared of releasing phones with it.

The SonyEricsson K800i joystick is totally fine, it has been improved since the one that had problems. The one that was known for suffering from problems is the K750i, and generally the problems can be sorted out with a quick spray of PC cleaner. My K800i was totally fine, the Nokia 6600 had a joystick, and again it was fine, I preferred it to the D-Pad. Its a case how you look after phones a lot of the time to how well they last.

Samsungs and Motorola's may look good, but for image quality they are nowhere near the quality of Nokia's or SE's. Therefore, the best video/picture quality is not a Samsung or Motorola, and I don't see how questioning the reliability of a certain manufacturer accounts for image quality.

Either way though, its probably cheaper to buy a dedicated camcorder or digital camera then phone with a decent image, and therefore if its what you want, then you should do that instead. I have a Nokia 8850 atm, does nothing but calls and texts and the odd WAP lol, but is the best looking phone ever and won multiple internatiopnal design awards. I have a JVC MiniDV camcorder for video (although have no use for it) and a Kodak digital camera with semi-pro quality Schneider Kreuznach optical zoom lens, which surpasses the quality any phone will be able to produce for a long time.

smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Which Mobile is Best Video / Picture - 1st Apr 2007 4:23pm
Originally Posted by MattyC

Schneider Kreuznach
smile

grin

my Samsung d600 had really good video quality
© Wirral-Wikiwirral