Forums
Posted By: Mark PS3 launch - 22nd Mar 2007 7:28pm
[Linked Image]Sony launches its PlayStation 3 (PS3) console in Europe on Friday, attempting to reclaim its title as the powerhouse of video gaming.

The company trails Microsoft and Nintendo in sales of next generation consoles and the launch has been beset with problems in the last year.

But the PlayStation brand remains strong with gamers and one million PS3s will hit shops on day one.

Some gamers have been queuing in London since Wednesday afternoon.

Sony has declared its launch of PlayStation 3 to date as a success, saying early sales are faster than those of its predecessor PS2.

It believes that the combination of a high-definition Blu-ray DVD player, online capabilities and gaming powered by the Cell processor will convince gamers to spend £425 (599 Euros) on the machine.

"High definition is very important to people," said Ray Maguire, head of Sony Computer Entertainment in the UK.

"A lot of people have bought flat panel TVs and they want content to go on it and PlayStation 3 is one of the few places they can get that kind of experience."

Sales figures from the United States, where the console launched last November, suggest that PS3 is being outsold by rivals. Recent figures from sales trackers NPD show that the Nintendo Wii is outselling the PS3 by more than two to one.

But the NPD figures also show that the PS3 is selling slightly faster in the US than the Xbox 360 did at the same stage in its release.

More than 200,000 consoles will be available on launch day in the UK, four month's later than originally planned.

Phil Harrison, Sony's head of worldwide studios, said the delay was "regrettable".

Read all about it BBC News
Posted By: MattLFC Re: PS3 launch - 22nd Mar 2007 7:35pm
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: PS3 launch - 22nd Mar 2007 7:37pm
It will recover, somehow Sony always seem to come out top.

The delay was a blow, yeah, but I don't think it'll affect the overall sales.

The price is far too high though, even for the technology.

It's probably the only real decider which will cause a sale or turn away a sale.

For me, the price has turned me away.
Posted By: Mark Re: PS3 launch - 23rd Mar 2007 10:35am
And not just because they were the first gamers in the UK to get their hands on Sony's long-awaited games console.

Nor was it due to the fact they had been fuelled on free coffee and Coke for the last 24 hours.

They had just been told they had been rewarded for their patience and loyalty with a free £2,500 high-definition TV on which to play their shiny new console.

More BBC News

-----

I Guess this is the long crawl back starting.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: PS3 launch - 23rd Mar 2007 4:39pm
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii - Nice Microsoft made splashpage - http://shkyw.org/

grin
Posted By: MattLFC Re: PS3 launch - 23rd Mar 2007 11:20pm
Interestingly look how close the running is for the vote on the BBC:

Originally Posted by BBC Vote
Who will be king of the consoles?

Wii
- 34.13%

Xbox 360
- 32.19%

PlayStation 3
- 33.68%

9762 Votes Cast

Current sales statistics are approx:

Originally Posted by NexGen Wars
Xbox 360

PlayStation 3

Wii

Interesting, I personally believe Sony have a real battle on their hands now, their manufacturing process is too slow at present to keep up with demand, and the price is just far too high for average casual gamers to consider.

Sony are placing far too much faith in Blu-ray imho.

I think eventually the PS3 will probably become the biggest selling console, however it wont be until it hits at least the sub £200 price range, and by that time, it may be too late for Sony to win the seventh generation of the console wars.

Personally I will be buying a Wii in the summer. The other consoles don't really appeal to me.

smile
Posted By: AX_125 Re: PS3 launch - 26th Mar 2007 2:24pm
I want a wii, i have never liked Playstation and never have.

Pc for serious games, Wii for fun
© Wirral-Wikiwirral