Forums
Posted By: Mark Slingbox - 9th Jun 2006 12:59am
Click me

Available in stores soon...

What you think ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Slingbox - 9th Jun 2006 2:11am
Two problems:

1. 256Kbps is the minimum connection required. At this bitrate the quality would be nigh on terrible. As most home connections have 256Kbps at present it would a bottleneck for most people. Also, to enjoy streamin video, really you need 512Kbps or more for a decent quality stream.

2. Data transfer limits. Nowadays, so many companies are capping the amount of data their users can transfer, that these caps would make the service impractical. Also, the more services like this are used, the more that companies will have to cap users.

All in all, its a very good concept in theory, but put into practice in current industry conditions, it wont work. Maybe in the future it will have more of a chance, but now its not so good a chance.

It will be interesting to see how it goes though smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Slingbox - 9th Jun 2006 9:04am
I have a tv connection thingy built into my computer, im stuffed if i know how to use it or to connect it. its an ATI thingy
Posted By: Mark Re: Slingbox - 9th Jun 2006 9:47am
A friend of mine put me on to it,
there currently being set up in PC world.

She's a sales rep for Microsoft.

I could for see problems with it too.
Apparently Sony have somthing simular.

I dont miss tv that much.
But just shows you where the technology is going.

Suppose the Big Brother Fans would love it lol..

Some nice fearues, like being able to set your video remotely.
But practicaly i dont think it would take off.
But ive been wrong before.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Slingbox - 9th Jun 2006 10:36am
Originally posted by Cali 16v:
I have a tv connection thingy built into my computer, im stuffed if i know how to use it or to connect it. its an ATI thingy
This will most likely be one of two things:

1. TV Tuner card (if it is an "All In Wonder" it will be an ATi card).

2. TV Input/Output ports, which allow you to input PAL and NTSC tv signals into your PC (although you do need an external tuner and approporiate decoder such as a VCR or DSTB to view TV on the PC.

Its does not have to much to do with Slingbox, dont worry smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral