Forums
Posted By: chriskay Bring back any memories? - 1st Sep 2013 12:13pm
I was in Chester the other day and saw this sign at a building in St.Werburgh's St. near the cathedral. Did anyone have a suit made by him when he was in Grange Rd. West? Beno must surely be long gone, but someone thought it worth preserving the name.

Attached picture IMG20130626_001.jpg
Posted By: Salmon Re: Bring back any memories? - 1st Sep 2013 1:34pm
Brian Epstein, the Beatles and me to name but 6 all had suits made by Beno Dorn. Sadly the other 5 became much more affluent than I ever did.This is from Linkedin.

Beno Dorn was one of the most successful bespoke tailoring firms in the UK. They employed a tailoring staff of 70! The firm started out in 1957 in Birkenhead and aquired the Liverpool firm of Clement H Sunderland Ltd in 1965. In 1966 they opened a tailoring service in Chester.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bring back any memories? - 1st Sep 2013 2:14pm
Thanks, Salmon. I'm surprised that the firm only started in 1957 because it seemed to me to be one of my childhood memories, but I joined the RAF in 1956 and have never lived in Birkenhead since, although I've visited regularly.
Posted By: fillbo Re: Bring back any memories? - 1st Sep 2013 4:36pm
I had my suit made there,for my wedding in September 1974.
I also worked at his house in Westkirby, in the late sixties, it was in the middle of winter with thick frost on the ground and his wife made us a pot of tea when we had our dinner in the boiler house she said "I hope you don't mind, I put a little something in it to warm you up" a very large measure of Brandy.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bring back any memories? - 2nd Sep 2013 4:51am
Birkenhead, 1959
Chester, 1984
Chester number, same as on board.

Attached picture birk deno.JPG
Attached picture bd.JPG
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Bring back any memories? - 2nd Sep 2013 8:40am
Thank's Chriskay . It brought back memories however of Wallasey tailors.
My uncles used to get suits made by Beno Dorn.

What was the tailor's in Manor Road Wallasey not far from the Police Station? Was it 'Zabaludo's'?

When I was young my mum's friend managed a sweetshop 'Vaughan's' in Seaview Road. Murray Gould had a tailor's shop opposite and would pop in for chats. He had friends, perhaps left-wing who used to pop into his shop to chat. I must admit I never saw him do much work and now think perhaps he mainly measured and took work over to Liverpool.
One friend was widely travelled and was an interpreter at the Nuremburg Trails and spoke fluent Japanese.
Now and then on Saturday's after he closed the shop,we went to the Pierhead to watch the Speaker's on their soapboxes, where we met more of his friends. I was only about twelve and had never met such outgoing people before. The Catholic Truth Society had a very old lady Speaker. Murray's friends jokingly called her'The Wicked Virgin'.
I do think of this time as an awakening when I realised that the there were many sincere lovely people and that there was far more in life than the world of school.

I used to like the TV programme 'Never mind the quality, feel the width'
Tailor's were revered when I was young and mass produced suits were looked down upon as inferior. It was the time before designer suits.
Do you haveanymore memories of local tailors?
Posted By: marzie Re: Bring back any memories? - 3rd Sep 2013 10:03pm
beno dorn was in grange rd west on the corner of clayton street.i purchased most of my suits from weaver-to warers or Jackson the tailor.beno along with hymy jabos was a bit to dear for me.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Bring back any memories? - 8th Sep 2013 10:30pm
Grange Road West, August 1979. Still using the same logo in Chester.

Attached picture Grange Road West.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral