Forums
Posted By: ZipperClub Trafalgar Road - 14th Aug 2013 6:18pm
Just found this pic, says Trafalgar Street but as far as I know its always been "Road".
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Trafalgar Road - 15th Aug 2013 8:56am
Are you sure it's not Invisible Street or road as I can't see any pic
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Trafalgar Road - 16th Aug 2013 7:45pm
Ahh, the illusive/allusive Trafalgar Street..

Attached picture traf%20road.jpg
Posted By: Dilly Re: Trafalgar Road - 16th Aug 2013 7:55pm
Is that you outside the picture house Zipper ? smile
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Trafalgar Road - 16th Aug 2013 8:10pm
I was already inside, pensioners perk :-)
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trafalgar Road - 16th Aug 2013 11:48pm
Think you're right, ZipperClub. Trafalgar Road on 1911 O.S.map.

Attached picture Clip.jpg
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Trafalgar Road - 17th Aug 2013 6:22pm
Wasn't it beautiful? Why couldn't it have been kept like that? frown
Posted By: Norton Re: Trafalgar Road - 24th Aug 2013 2:57pm
Present day photo attached for comparison.

A better scan of the original (or part of it) would be useful, as I can just make out words on one of the cinema posters, the third one. It looks like 'Circus King', with something above it.

For information, there was a Hal Roach film released in March 1916 and entitled 'Lonesome Luke - Circus King' with Harold Lloyd playing the part of Luke. It was a short comedy, silent and in black and white of course.

If it is indeed 1916, then WW1 would explain the absence of men. The man in front of the second poster seems a bit bandy legged. Can you make out the boy and dog as well?

And for those who might wonder why there are cinema posters there at all, then remember that there was a cinema here, in the church building, which later became rebuilt as the Gaumont, then Unit Four - before closing and demolition to become flats. There is a thread on Wiki about it.

Description: Trafalgar Rd from King St.
Attached picture Trafalgar Rd King St rr.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Trafalgar Road - 24th Aug 2013 3:11pm
Hi, its a digital image I have, so what you see is what you get. I`m sure it was off an old postcard and I doubt if we would see any clearer than this image. Get your eyeballs into magnify mode and hope for the best. My eyeballs gave up like the rest of me lol. Cheers
© Wirral-Wikiwirral