Forums
Posted By: ZipperClub Bidston Iron Ore Cranes - 6th Apr 2013 7:12pm
Just found this old pic, thought some might like to see it. I went up one of these cranes on a school trip some years ago.

Attached picture ore trains docks bidston.jpg
Posted By: pickle1984 Re: Bidston Iron Ore Cranes - 6th Apr 2013 7:22pm
Really wish i had got to see that dock before it was destroyed frown
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Bidston Iron Ore Cranes - 6th Apr 2013 7:31pm
Funny, I Didn't Even Know About The Fire. Coincidence Or What!
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Bidston Iron Ore Cranes - 6th Apr 2013 9:01pm
Going back 40 years or more, my dad told me the workers on the pylons etc stole tons and tons of copper wire and buried it by the roundabout end of Bidston Dock. Where the red containers are in the picture, is about where the wire is supposed to be buried. They used a JCB so no need to get out your shovels... Might be a pile of lies, but I doubt it, Dad never lied.

Attached picture road.jpg
Posted By: Mockbeggar Re: Bidston Iron Ore Cranes - 11th Apr 2013 3:35pm
My dad was a manager for Wm Cubbins on the West Float,they were part of Reas who were then part of Corys which was all taken over by Ocean Transport and Trading.
The Iron Ore berth had a railhead from John Summers at Shotton. I went up one of the cranes with my dad when I was about 13. The crane design was unique to the berth and was copied for the first container terminals. In the site there was an ore samplers Watson Gray.The diesel locos were called Peppal,Wobana and Narvic (I hope I've got the names right) which were vareties of iron ore.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Bidston Iron Ore Cranes - 16th Sep 2013 1:31pm
Rea Bulk Handling Company had a small fleet of nine diesel shunters, which operated all over the dock lines. Names in the 1980s included Theseus, Wabana, Kathleen Nichols, Pegasus, WH Salthouse,Dorothy Lightfoot, Narvik, Teucer ,Pepel and Labrador.

Wabana Ore is from Newfoundland.
Narvik will be from Norway.
Pepel will be ore from Sierra Leone.

These Ores were popular as they did not need reducing in size (pelletizing) to fit into the furnaces at Shotton.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Bidston Iron Ore Cranes - 23rd Sep 2013 8:52pm
After the Iron ore traffic ceased in 1980, imported coal (which had been handled at Duke Street) was dealt with here in 1980 and during 1985.
During late 1988 (I think) there was a very short lived rail service of scrap metal to Fords from the dock.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Bidston Iron Ore Cranes - 25th Sep 2013 1:05pm
Indeed and rubbish slack it was - gummed up the boilers at Fiddlers something chronic - another Tory 'money-saving' idea - cheap (Polish coal in 84 and 85), subsidised to the moon, that created so much clinker that the clean-ups then required negated any savings and a bit more........
Funny how they were happy to buy other countries subsidised goods but not support our own industry - cheapskates....
© Wirral-Wikiwirral