Forums
Posted By: derekdwc A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 19th Oct 2012 9:24am
I like this map click

click on "Click here to view large Image"
then use mouse scroll button to enlarge and make smaller

A Bryant 1831

Little is known about this cartographer other than that he produced 12 county maps in the 1820s and 1830s. They were the peak of achievement for the private surveyor, soon to be eclipsed by the Ordnance Survey venturing further into commercial map production. At 1¼ “ to 1 mile, a slightly larger scale than Greenwood’s map, Bryant’s map is very similar in content but carries more detail in some areas. It is found in two versions: six sheets (plain) or, as seen here, two large sheets (coloured), folded in a slip case. Both versions can be seen at the Cheshire Record Office.

also look at the
Christopher Greenwood 1819

A Yorkshire surveyor, like Saxton, Greenwood emulated him in trying to produce an atlas of all the counties of England and Wales. He nearly succeeded. Working with his brother John and other partners, first in Yorkshire, then in London, he surveyed 33 English and 4 Welsh counties, most at a scale of 1” to the mile. Unlike Burdett, who had to do all his own surveying, Greenwood had the great advantage of being able to obtain trigonometrical data from the Board of Ordnance. The four sheets of Greenwood’s Cheshire map show more detail than those of Burdett and are noted for the quality of their design and engraving.

Attached picture 1831 bryantfull  map.jpg
Attached picture 1831 bryant map.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 19th Oct 2012 10:47am
Excellent find Derek ! Hours of fun studying that one later. Interesting that Woodchurch Rd (section that is now twixt top of Singleton Ave and Woodchurch Rd Pri.School) is called Slush Lane - with a Slush Lane Cottage too! Never come across that before.
Posted By: Norton Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 19th Oct 2012 11:43am
Well spotted, Derek. Like Pinz, I'll have some fun looking around it.
Being 1831, it predates some of the Tithe Maps, so is very helpful in dating some buildings.
I noticed that the Boode Monument on Poulton Road is on the map, and an area near Seacombe Ferry would be is called 'Codling Gap', predating the use of 'Guinea Gap'. In addition, there a number of footbridges crossing water courses south of Poulton Road, that lead into the north side of Wallasey Pool.

Great stuff.
Posted By: chriskay Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 19th Oct 2012 3:12pm
Yes, lots to look at. Some points I've noted:
The signal posts on Bidston Hill.
The rail line from Flaybrick quarry.
No Vyner Rd. North or South.
The Ford hill diversion not yet built; Upton Rd. goes down what is now the Thermopylae Pass.

And so much more.
Posted By: davew3 Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 19th Oct 2012 10:49pm
Nice find, it's surprising how many roads that you expect to be there but are not, Sally Carr lane what a cracker.
Posted By: chriskay Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 20th Oct 2012 10:13am
I've now looked at the 1840 O.S. map, which shows the new Ford Hill route, so it was constructed between 1831 and 1840. Can anyone pin it down further?
Posted By: TommyThumb Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 21st Oct 2012 8:57am
Intresting that bromborough was considered to have the largest desingnated park area, not quite the same nowadays with the business park and industries.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 21st Oct 2012 5:57pm
Looking at the map there is "Cannon Rocks" marked at Thurstaston.
Anyone know why?
Would there have been cannon there at one time overlooking and protecting the Dee and its ports just as Fort Perch Rock protected the Mersey

Attached picture cannon rocks Thurstaston2.jpg
Posted By: dave_h Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 25th Oct 2012 6:03pm
fab mate, cheers
Posted By: willoughby Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 25th Oct 2012 9:24pm
Great map Derek.Interesting to see some publichouses/hotels shown such as The Adelphi and at the end of Church Street a hotel which would have been The Birkenhead Hotel owned by the Willoughby brothers who ran the Birkenhead and Tranmere ferries, and also The Black Horse and Ship Inn in Wallasey Village. Great detail. I am enjoying too parts of the Cheshire map such as Tarvin shown in great detail. I have Littler ancestors from there.
Big thanks
Posted By: TommyThumb Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 26th Oct 2012 11:08am
Does anybody have informtion when the A41 "New chester road" was conceived as an idea and was subsenquently built?
Noticed there is no crossing over Bromborough pool on the map where the white stone bridge currently spans the river outlet.
Posted By: Norton Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 26th Oct 2012 1:43pm
There is lots of information on both Old Chester Road and New Chester Road in one or more of the 'Old Chestre Road' topics on this site.

I think you will find what you are asking for here (click).
Posted By: Helles Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 7th Nov 2012 8:19pm
How about Moss cottage on Bidston Moss? What's that all about. There is a Black Horse shown round about where the Magazines pub is. Never heard of that one!
Posted By: OkeyCokey Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 31st Dec 2012 12:33pm
Originally Posted by davew3
Nice find, it's surprising how many roads that you expect to be there but are not, Sally Carr lane what a cracker.

Just had a quick look at the link then followed the chat...then this! I only briefly looked at the map of my area...of all the names to find!!!
Posted By: Erainn Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 4th Jan 2013 2:00pm
Derek, Great work on sharing that. As an aside, has anyone else noticed the frequency of pubs called 'Black Horse' on the western end Wirral at that period, and presumably going back even further.
Posted By: bert1 Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 4th Jan 2013 2:32pm
Originally Posted by Erainn
Derek, Great work on sharing that. As an aside, has anyone else noticed the frequency of pubs called 'Black Horse' on the western end Wirral at that period, and presumably going back even further.

Pehaps, Black Bess related.
Posted By: Erainn Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 4th Jan 2013 2:43pm
Bert, or fellow readers, do you recall from many years ago now a tale about a Black Horse pub somewhere on the Wirral, and archaeological remains being unearthed?
Posted By: bert1 Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 4th Jan 2013 2:58pm
No immediate recollection, interesting though.
Posted By: Erainn Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 4th Jan 2013 11:25pm
Bert, a little bit of digging has suggested that the site in question was in Tranmere, the findings of which may have been recorded in the transactions of the Lancashire & Cheshire Historical Society (circa 1870). Seems a horse burial was found cut into the rock and covered with sandstone slabs. The discovery was not it appears directly under a pub, but not so far removed from the only ale house carrying the name 'Black Horse'. A curiosity, coincidence or ritual association, be fascinating to see if those transactions are still existing.
Posted By: gopher Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 4th Jan 2013 11:51pm
The Black Horse top of Well Lane, it is said further along Church Road on the corner of Marquis St there is a fenced off triangular grass area it is said Wellingtons horse died coming up Argyle St South and he buried it there.
Hence around it has been bulldozed and a new apartment buildings erected and the shops and houses next to it demolished but if true this is why it cannot be touched.
This is somewhere in a history of Wirral/Tranmere book i was informed some years ago.
Posted By: Erainn Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 5th Jan 2013 12:14am
Gopher that's fascinating, wonder if that's the same burial? Do you have any more info on that? If it was then would imagine it would be recorded in the aforementioned transactions.
Posted By: gopher Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 5th Jan 2013 12:33am
I have lived by there for 29 years and its a well discussed topic amongst the older generation in the area.
Posted By: Erainn Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 5th Jan 2013 1:12am
Here's the extract from the Transaction, dated 1874 Lancashire & Cheshire Historical Society containing a description of the contents of that tomb in Tranmere. Looks like you can now inform fellow residents the horse in question was more likely to have been linked to William the Third's passing through the area on route to Ireland
Posted By: bert1 Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 5th Jan 2013 8:13am
I know that piece of land, Marquis St and always thought of it as a little bit of greenery amongst a built up residential area, for the residents to enjoy. Its hard to imagine it hasn't been built on because a horse was buried there, knowing whole graveyards and its occupants have been moved to allow redevelopment. The Duke of Wellington only had one horse of note, Copenhagen, and that was buried on his estate with full military honours. I know its dangerous to dismiss these stories but any other horse that died under Wellington probably ended up in the knackers yard.

A coin found with the skeleton certainly puts a time scale on it, if its anything to do with William the Third, he must have stopped at the hall coming back from Ireland, prior to going at stayed at Gayton Hall, again the only horse of note he was associated with was the white one, which wasn't even his, I think he was only depicted with it in paintings.

No doubting the horse was found but wondering whether it fell down a natural crevice which was covered to stop it happening again, would they prepare a grave for burial in rock, be it a soft rock, like sandstone, which is likely to be in that area. think
Posted By: Tatey Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 5th Jan 2013 9:16am
Get the "Time Team" in. Just tell them it's in Liverpool!
Posted By: granny Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 5th Jan 2013 11:27am
Could the frequency of the pubs in the area being called 'Black Horse', have anything to do with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Dragoon_Guards

Also, could Marquis Street, give a clue to who may have owned the possible horse, or even the name of the horse?

As Bert says, I always understood that William III stayed at Gayton Hall prior to going to Ireland and he sailed from Hoylake.
Posted By: Erainn Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 5th Jan 2013 2:21pm
Granny, an interesting thought, however the frequency and national distribution of the pub name 'Black Horse' tends to suggest other possible associations. It may well be that the pub in Tranmere took its name from the Regiment you cite, do consider though that sometimes such names may stretch way back. Not always for sure, and the findings noted in the Transactions of the Lancashire & Cheshire Historical Society offer credible support that the burial in question relates to the period of William III. He may well have stayed at Gayton Hall, I have not seen the source yet, but of course it's very plausible. As is the alternative that the horse in question could have belonged to one of the King's leading officers?
Posted By: rosa466 Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 14th Jan 2013 4:27pm
does any one know the name of the stream that ran through Tranmere on the map? Is that Whetstone lane now??
Posted By: mikeeb Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 20th Oct 2013 11:01pm
That map is a cracker
It shows a large part of the map as "Part of Bidston" is/was this correct?
On a side note the wirral looks like frankenstien, lol

Posted By: derekdwc Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 1st Mar 2014 7:58pm
At the history fair today

Made up getting these

MAPS OF CHESHIRE 3cds £8 each or the 3 for £20

1819 Greenwood
1831 Bryant

1577 Saxton
1610 Speed

1675 Ogilby's road maps
1777 Burgett's Cheshire

£10
2 cds of The Cheshire Sheaf searchable
(Digital copies of the original publications)

First time on sale The Family History Society of Cheshire
If anyone wants any they'll be at Greasby library 12 April between 10 upto 4pm

Posted By: chriskay Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 2nd Mar 2014 4:17pm
Originally Posted by rosa466
does any one know the name of the stream that ran through Tranmere on the map? Is that Whetstone lane now??

If you mean the stream which ends at Tranmere Pool, that is now Borough Rd. Whetstone Lane is at right angles to it, running down from Holt Hill. The stream was culverted when they built Borough Rd. It used to be called the Happy Valley.
Posted By: yoller Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 2nd Mar 2014 7:16pm
The area was called Happy Valley and I think the stream itself was known as the Rubicon.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 1st Apr 2014 2:03pm
I think it could possibly have originally been called The Birket,
which would have made more sense with their being a Birket Pool which it ran into, and a Birket Wood which have been mentioned earlier than 1830s? ordnance survey.
Over 100 years ago folk were asking why The Birket in Moreton and Bidston was so called
Posted By: yoller Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 1st Apr 2014 5:47pm
In her history of Birkenhead, The Headland With The Birches (1991), Agnes McCulloch says the stream was known as The Rubicon, but adds that the origin of the name is obscure.

The original Rubicon was the river in Italy that Julius Caesar crossed in 49BC - his point of no return.

In his 1903 book Birkenhead and Its Surroundings, Henry Kelsall Aspinall mentions the stream, but does not give it a specific name.

Attached picture head.jpg
Attached picture asp.jpg
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 1st Jul 2014 3:24pm
On page 2 of this topic, derekdwc mentioned that old maps of Cheshire from 1577 (Saxton) have become available on CD. These are now on regular sale at Greasby library. The maps have been commercially scanned and have been put onto CDs as jpgs by Cheshire Local History Association.

CD1
1577 Saxton - Cheshire [colour]
1610 Speed - Cheshire [colour]

CD2
1675 Ogilby's Road Maps (8 local road maps on the CD e.g. Lichfield to Chester) [colour]
1777 Burdett - Cheshire

CD3
1819 Greenwood - Cheshire
1831 Bryant - Cheshire [colour]

Cost
£8 per CD
£20 per set of CDs

An end to having third generation photocopies - wonderful! These maps are all excellent but the Bryant is also beautiful.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 25th Feb 2021 3:47pm
Derek, the link in your opening post to the map, now goes to, https://sites.google.com/site/cheshirelha/ and there is no "Click here to view large Image"
Do you know any other link to view the map?
Posted By: Tiger1050 Re: A Bryant 1831 Wirral map online - 28th Mar 2022 11:35am
The river which ran through the Happy Valley and was culverted under what was originally named Happy Valley Road but now known as Borough Road, was the Rubicon'
© Wirral-Wikiwirral