Forums
Posted By: Norton A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 3:21pm
I came across some old postcards of New Brighton, a few of which I'd not seen before.

To begin with, here is one entitled 'The New Brighton Super Bathing Pool'.

This looked very familiar, until I realised that I'd never seen an example with the bathers standing in the deep end.

Description: The New Brighton Super Bathing Pool, Wallasey
Attached picture NB Super Bathing Pool wr.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 3:46pm
That's a very interesting observation Norton! Those two people who are standing nearest the "splashdown area" are only about tummy deep - say 3' 6" ??? Ermmmmmmmmm. The top board is HOW high ??
Posted By: derekdwc Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 3:48pm
How dangerous was that, both for the divers and swimmers below?
Where were the H&S people?
Posted By: Sneezy Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 3:49pm
That looks really dangerous...Look how any people are in the water under the diving board!!
Posted By: rocks Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 4:17pm
oh gosh norton well spotted!!! strange
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 4:31pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
How dangerous was that, both for the divers and swimmers below?
Where were the H&S people?

They were stll twinkles in their daddies' eyes.
Posted By: Norton Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 5:26pm
Did anybody notice that the sun was shining on the left shoulder of those in the crowd with their backs to us, yet for those standing in the deep end, the sun was over their right shoulder? Obviously it's been nobbled in the dark room, but they missed a bit where the near set of steps go into the pool.

OK, here is another entitled 'New Brighton Tower and Beach'
A nice shot looking inland from the end of the pier, but also very interesting to see the old sea wall, the early layout of the Tower Grounds, and a space where the Tivoli Theatre has yet to be built.

Any idea about the date? What are those two tall poles to the right of the Tower building? They look almost like a pair of radio masts.

Description: New Brighton Tower and Beach
Attached picture NB Tower and Beach wr.jpg
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 6:16pm
Originally Posted by Norton
I came across some old postcards of New Brighton, a few of which I'd not seen before.

To begin with, here is one entitled 'The New Brighton Super Bathing Pool'.

This looked very familiar, until I realised that I'd never seen an example with the bathers standing in the deep end.
Great picture Norton ,but i do feel sorry for the 2 divers that have just jumped from the diving board did they not check the water wasn`t deep enough ?
Posted By: chris7777 Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 8:17pm
Have to say---those divers don't look like they've just jumped from the diving board! and one of them looks as tho he/she has got a nightie on!! something very odd about this photo!lol
Posted By: Helles Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 18th Apr 2012 8:59pm
The two poles in the tower one is a high wire. Must have been brave to walk across that height with no safety net. I have seen close up one's that show it a bit better.
Posted By: Tatey Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 19th Apr 2012 7:55am
Originally Posted by Sneezy
That looks really dangerous...Look how any people are in the water under the diving board!!

And is that a couple flying tandem off the top board? crazy
Posted By: rocks Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 19th Apr 2012 9:47am
you would think if two people were diving from that height that spectators would be looking up but they dont seem to be
Posted By: granny Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 19th Apr 2012 11:31am
This link may explain the layout of the pool better. It was 15ft deep below the diving boards. I didn't go often but always remembered it as being a strange layout for a pool.

http://www.merseyside.net/newbrighton/pages/pool.htm
Posted By: Norton Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 19th Apr 2012 12:37pm
Thanks for the link, it's got some very interesting facts and figures in it. For example, the height of the top diving board was 10 metres - over 32 feet.
As to H&S, there are two white bouys in the water near the landing zone, and I suspect there may have been more if the photographer hadn't doctored the original to give the impression of all those bathers standing in the deep end. As I said before, close examination shows that the sun is shining on their backs from a different angle to the rest of the crowd. The two divers leaving the top diving board may have been added, or perhaps it's just the camera angle during a syncronised jump.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 19th Apr 2012 4:49pm
I still cant believe how big that tower ballroom building was oshocked

Wonder why so many people wore hats back in those days confused

Great photos smile
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 19th Apr 2012 6:01pm
Good postcard. Does anyone remember when New Brighton Pool was used for International water Polo? The reason was because the deep end was same depth at each end and most pools had a shallow and deep end.
I went with my Dad to see a German Water Polo team and it was so cold they sceamed when they jumped in the water.

We used to see at Guinea Gap Baths, the great Olympic swimmer Neil Mckechnie who established there 30 English Records, but sadly he died June 8th 2006
Posted By: Wally1 Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 19th Apr 2012 7:03pm
I took part in a sub-aqua display in the deep
end in my youth. The deep end was about 8 ft
deep at the edge but under the diving boards
was a much deeper bowl shaped area. We jumped
in from the sides, swam down to the bottom of
the bowl (which was full of sticking plasters
and sandwiches etc.) formed a ring and rose to
the surface like a formation team, but not as
good looking.

As others have said the photo has been doctored,
but still very interesting.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 19th Apr 2012 10:30pm
Originally Posted by granny
This link may explain the layout of the pool better. It was 15ft deep below the diving boards. I didn't go often but always remembered it as being a strange layout for a pool.

http://www.merseyside.net/newbrighton/pages/pool.htm
Hello Granny very good point you made there
Posted By: granny Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 20th Apr 2012 9:23am
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum
Good postcard. Does anyone remember when New Brighton Pool was used for International water Polo? The reason was because the deep end was same depth at each end and most pools had a shallow and deep end.
I went with my Dad to see a German Water Polo team and it was so cold they sceamed when they jumped in the water.

We used to see at Guinea Gap Baths, the great Olympic swimmer Neil Mckechnie who established there 30 English Records, but sadly he died June 8th 2006

Paxvo, how strange. My father used to play in the Water Polo team at New Brighton and Guinea Gap and Harrison Drive(Derby Pool). He also used to travel to other parts of the country. I can remember being dragged along to watch some of these matches. Swimming races and diving were other things he did. He won loads of cups and prizes, and now I think about it, it meant absolutley nothing to us as children!
Posted By: Moonstar Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 22nd Apr 2012 12:17pm
Anyone know what the building in the Tower Grounds to the right and below the tower is? I have never seen that picture before.
Posted By: Norton Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 24th Apr 2012 5:33pm
As far as I can establish, the Tower Grounds Company (as it became) purchased the 20 acre Rock Point Estate from the Molyneux family. That three storey building could have been their house. I think I read that somewhere, but I can't confirm that just yet.

The yet-to-be-built Tivoli Theatre opened in 1914.
Posted By: Helles Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 24th Apr 2012 8:57pm
I think you will find the Rock Point was further back going towards Egremont. It was the Rock Point bar and restaurant in my day. I'm not quite sure what that house is at the foot of the tower grounds though but have seen it in a number of photo's.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 25th Apr 2012 10:32am
As Helles says the original Rock Point House was converted by the Tower Company into the Rock Point Castle Restaurant. The large house near the entrance was originally a separate property called West Bank; I believe it was acquired by the Tower company for use as a Manager's house and offices.
Posted By: Norton Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 26th Apr 2012 1:35am
Further information, edited from 'Sandstone & Mortar' by Noel E Smith.

ROCK POINT HOUSE

On the high ground, which later became known as the Tower Grounds, was Rock Point House which was sometimes known as Rock House. It was once the home of Captain Molyneux and his family. The Captain and his wife had eight daughters and, for good measure, an adopted niece! The children had special heavy soles fitted to their shoes as they seemed to wear out their footwear so quickly. The girls' dresses were purchased from Paris already cut and Miss Amy Linaker was employed to make them up.
The mansion was once the home of Lord and Lady Houston and their family. In about 1830 .it was the home of Richard Wharburton and his family.

WEST BANK HOUSE

There was another house nearer the foot of Egerton Street which was called West Bank, where Mr. T. Addison lived. I think this house remained and stood within the Tower Grounds close to the gates on the promenade.

While writing about these buildings, he also mentions 'Blue Cottage' which is described as being almost right on the sands, but nothing else to help locate it.
Posted By: Helles Re: A Postcard from New Brighton - 26th Apr 2012 8:55am
Assuming the Linaker lady mentioned was related to the Linaker brothers who had the blacksmiths in Mason street and were active members of the lifeboat crew?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral