Forums
has anyone any memories of Beaufort Square? Half Way House pub on corner and across the road from frankies aka Franensteins and the flour mills.
do you mean ilchester square
Don't know Beaufort Square, but is this the Halfway house pub you mean?

From the O.S. map of 1912

Attached picture Halfway house.jpg
The same area from the 1954 OS sheet. The tenements appear to have been built in the early 30s, but I haven't been able to track down an exact date yet.

Attached picture Beaufort Square.JPG
off a post by Mark
Think it's the Halfway House

Attached picture halfway house bidston.jpg
The Halfway house was at the end of Patten st, not saying that was its official address.Beaufort Square must have been knocked down around the early seventies.

Attached picture untitled.JPG
The only pic of Beaufort Square I can find - enlarged from an aerial view taken just after the War.

Attached picture Beaufort Square.jpg
many thanks Marty, I lived at 49 beaufort square until 1964, we had 1 bedroomed flat, I shared the bedroom with my mum and dad and by the time I was 10 we were moved to Neston Gardens which had just been finished. We were the first tenents in the flats after the janitor and his family (ground floor) I remember my mum and dad had a choice of which floor they wanted to live on so they chose the third floor and there were 13 floors in total. It was good to see beaufort sq again including the Half Way (house)public house where my mum worked as a barmaid.
Beufort Square is now James Brook Close.. In the picture above you can also see the Gas site in Patten Street. Great photo.
Hi,

this photo taken in Beaufort Square about 1951.
me in the pram with my mum and brother.

Attached picture Beaufort square.jpg
thank you Kylix this is how I remeber it pity I don't have any photos like this,
Yes, I remember them flats, I used to there when I was a kid to see a family called "James". Did you know them ?
Hi, found another photo relating to Beaufort Square. This shows the entrance to the Square from Corporation Road. The square had just been demolished and the houses on Corporation road were about to be pulled down. Just a little further up toward St. James' church I believe was the junction where Bonar Colleano the actor was killed in a car crash.

Attached picture 002.jpg
Hi,
found some more pictures of Beaufort Square.

One shows the back of the houses in Corporation Road looking onto the Square, the other showing Corporation Road after the house were demolished.

Attached picture Scan.jpg
It is amazing more people in Birkenhead know of Bonar Colleano and the car crash than by any of his movies.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral