Forums
Posted By: molong prenton secondry school for girls - 15th Jun 2011 5:05pm
i have a query for a friend.she wants info on prenton secondry school for girls.shewent there from 1947 to 1955.thanks.molong
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: prenton secondry school for girls - 15th Jun 2011 5:10pm
What sort of info is she looking for? There's plenty of ex-prenton girls around.
Posted By: molong Re: prenton secondry school for girls - 16th Jun 2011 11:13am
re: prenton secondary school for girls was in temple rd apparently when my friend went there.headmistress was myffanwy jones. interested in memories of girls in upper 4 a about 1949-51.is anyone out there? thanks,molong
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: prenton secondry school for girls - 16th Jun 2011 11:54am
I guess she has looked on friendsreunited.

Prenton Secondary School for Girls and Prenton Secondary Modern (for boys) were on the same site on the corner of Temple Road and Prentonpark Road. The school is now Devonshire Park Primary School, although for a number of years it was also a "middle" school (around 1973 onwards).
Posted By: jimbob Re: prenton secondry school for girls - 16th Jun 2011 9:38pm
Notice the name of the headmistress been Jones in the early 50s at Prenton secondary school for girls. During my time at Prenton secondary school for boys, 1951 to 1955. The head masters surname was also JONES. One of the unusual things about his mode of dress compared to all the masters was he always wore SPATS.
Posted By: chriskay Re: prenton secondry school for girls - 17th Jun 2011 10:41am
Originally Posted by jimbob
One of the unusual things about his mode of dress compared to all the masters was he always wore SPATS.

Wow, Jim, I bet there aren't many here who know what spats are (were).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: prenton secondry school for girls - 17th Jun 2011 10:55am
Jimbob: Was that G.H.Jones ? He was the Head when I started there (1956). The epitome of a true gent. A kindly soul. I don't recall the spats, but it would be very much "his" style of dress. He retired in 1957 or 58 (?) and went to Hawarden Theological College. Eventually became a Minister. He was replaced by "Basher" Bailey. A different kettle of fish altogether !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: prenton secondry school for girls - 17th Jun 2011 11:41am
I remember Bailey, I didn't go to the school but used to hang around in the playground in the evenings - caretaker was good to us.
Posted By: kenisherwood Re: prenton secondry school for girls - 25th Nov 2011 4:20pm
Jimbob I went to Prenton Sec. from 1945-49 the headmaster when I started was named Cooper I think he was appointed to a position on the education board and he was succeeded by Mr Jones and your description of him is just as I remember. He had a very high voice and I think he sang in the choir at St Pauls so I can understand him ' Taking the Cloth'
© Wirral-Wikiwirral