Attached picture IMG_0054 (800x631).jpg
Posted By: Longnails Re: Old Work Places - 23rd Apr 2011 10:55am
Thanks,I'll save them.
Regards
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Old Work Places - 23rd Apr 2011 10:57am
Originally Posted by Longnails
Thanks,I'll save them.
Regards
Your welcome, going to have a look for some more!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Old Work Places - 23rd Apr 2011 10:59am
Lamonts. Bakers on St.Paul's Rd,Seacombe.

Attached picture IMG_0042 (797x800).jpg
Posted By: cameraman Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 1:12pm
got loads from Stone Managanese Marine Propellers (Foundry) early 80's and Kelvinators ( Candy Domestic Appliances )86 to about 2000 including picket line shots of when we were on strike. Will have to scan them and put them on in the next couple of weeks.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 5:38pm
anyone on here work at kwik save new ferry, the original were iceland is now or the present one and got any pics
Posted By: oldbirkonian1 Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 6:45pm
wow, what a good idea! has anyone got any old work pics of the old General hospital in Birkenhead or St Cath's from the early 70's? I would love to see if I could recognise any old friends.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 7:25pm
Well thankyou, was beginning to think this was a silly idea!
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 8:35pm
Originally Posted by cameraman
got loads from Stone Managanese Marine Propellers (Foundry) early 80's and Kelvinators ( Candy Domestic Appliances )86 to about 2000 including picket line shots of when we were on strike. Will have to scan them and put them on in the next couple of weeks.

Would like to see the Stone Manganese photos , I was a moulder there from 1980 to 1985 .
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 8:57pm
I've asked this before on here-----but does anyone remember Sam Scotts Millinary? it was in Lord St Birkenhead, it was in the 60s,it was my first job at 16.

and what about Berwicks Wallasey, Stylewear Rock Ferry, Jacksons Grove Rd Rock Ferry, Wesley Press New Ferry, Austin Packaging, Perry Blouses-they took over Sam Scotts Millinery, Wetheralls Colquit St Liverpool------they're all gone now-----i worked in all those places----well that was when you could finish one job on the friday and start another the following monday, if anyone has any pics of any of these places i would love to see them.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 9:01pm
Berwicks Toys. I went for an interview for an office job there, but didn't get it. Ended up in sales up the road at The Gandy!.
Posted By: nodding2 Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 9:51pm
my mum used to work in style ware, any pics?
Posted By: Helles Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 9:54pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Berwicks Toys. I went for an interview for an office job there, but didn't get it. Ended up in sales up the road at The Gandy!.

Was on the building of the new front on the Gandy offices. Very small bricks and they looked really good. Still do I think. Also built an electricity sub station inside. How the hell anyone could work in there was beyond me. Stank plus all that asbestos must have caused real problems for people in later life.
Posted By: jenn1948 Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 10:34pm

The one on Birkenhead Road, Wallasey? I remember that place, all the boys in school used to scavenge the reject toys and bring them into school, mainly missile throwing toys too if I remember right.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 10:45pm

i was a machinist in the factory, making kids cowboy suits,etc--and overlocking squares of fabric for embroidery sets, got a bit boring after a while.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Old Work Places - 27th Apr 2011 10:49pm
Originally Posted by nodding2
my mum used to work in style ware, any pics?

what year was your mum there? think i was there late 60s early 70s,they made mens trousers,i made the flies!!sometimes!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Old Work Places - 28th Apr 2011 10:35am
Originally Posted by Helles

Was on the building of the new front on the Gandy offices. Very small bricks and they looked really good. Still do I think. Also built an electricity sub station inside. How the hell anyone could work in there was beyond me. Stank plus all that asbestos must have caused real problems for people in later life.
What year would that be Helles?
Posted By: Helles Re: Old Work Places - 28th Apr 2011 6:12pm
Roughly 1967-69.
Posted By: cameraman Re: Old Work Places - 28th Apr 2011 6:42pm
Originally Posted by zigzagwanderer

Would like to see the Stone Manganese photos , I was a moulder there from 1980 to 1985 .

smile So was I....... During the same time.......so we must know each other as there was only about 15 of us. Will scan them next week and put them on. I took the redundancy in 1986
Posted By: cameraman Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2011 5:58am
ZIGZAGWANDERER, your first name doesn't start with P by any chance smile
I served my time from 81 till 85 then left 86
Mike
Posted By: jemarc Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2011 6:53am
ive got no photies of st caths etc but my mum and auntie used to work at st caths they were domestics as they were called then
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2011 1:56pm
The British Leather Co. Ltd.
The brochure and the reality

Attached picture British Leather Co Ltd page 6 [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture British Leather Co Ltd page 7 [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture British Leather Co Ltd page 13 [1600x1200].jpg

Description: my office
Attached picture my office [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture img016 [1600x1200].jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2011 1:59pm
more The British Leather Co. Ltd.
Anyone else worked there

Attached picture img024 [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture img029 [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture img179 [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture img258 [1600x1200].jpg
Attached picture img274 [1600x1200].jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2011 2:18pm
Wow amazing Derek, is that the one that was in bidston?

Got any of orbro?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2011 2:46pm
New Chester rd on main road sandwiched between Cammell Lairds.
Just past the main gates
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Old Work Places - 5th May 2011 4:59pm
ZIGZAGWANDERER, your first name doesn't start with P by any chance smile
I served my time from 81 till 85 then left 86
Mike

Initials P.G. - bound to know each other.
Posted By: cameraman Re: Old Work Places - 6th May 2011 12:46pm
Thought it was you mate, It's Mike W , I started my apprenticship in 81 after you came from the other foundry. Remember I asked you about growing my hair long hahaha.You still into Bowie. Have had a number 1 for the last 20 odd years with being in the Navy. The last time I bumped into you was by Victoria park in Tranmere about 20 odd years ago, you were painting and decorating. Will scan the negs over the next couple of weeks and bang them on here. Got one of you ramming the rough sand up in a mould top, happy days eh.
Hope your well and happy. Bumped into a few of the old guys at my auntie Jackies funeral a couple of years ago. Alan Gee, Georgie Weeks and Young Jackie Hill, all very grey now but could still recognise them. I look totally different from then, not got much hair left and had a beard for the past 16 years
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Old Work Places - 8th May 2011 12:50pm
'cameraman' - should have realised it was you Mike from the name!
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos - should bring back a lot of memories.
PM me with your email.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Old Work Places - 29th Jul 2011 8:19pm
Just looking back at some old posts.Like this one as it re-united old friends!
Originally Posted by zigzagwanderer
'cameraman' - should have realised it was you Mike from the name!
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos - should bring back a lot of memories.
PM me with your email.
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Old Work Places - 2nd Apr 2012 6:51am
My first job I had was in a grocers shop in Market street that was called Stranaghan And Nixons would like to get a photo of this I use to work on the order bike with a big basket it in front of it and I use to make deliveries on it I felt like the hovis kid.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Old Work Places - 2nd Apr 2012 8:01am
What year was this Capernicus?
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Old Work Places - 2nd Apr 2012 8:35am
I was 8 at the time this would be 1957 my school at that time was Trinity Street Primary School but I kept going there till I was about thirteen and in my secondary School Hamilton Secondary Modern School or Hemmie for short.
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Old Work Places - 6th Apr 2012 6:59am
It was 1964-1966 It was a shop that sold provisions like cheese cooked meats bacon sausage it had a cellar where all the stuff was stored it was about three quarters of the way up on the left. They also had a order bike which I used to do deliveries.
Posted By: TommyThumb Re: Old Work Places - 9th Apr 2012 6:14pm
I had a relative that worked at Viota in Bromborough now Cereal Partners I think. There must be some picturs or stories out there???
Posted By: nettie Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2012 8:03pm
yep i worked in kwik save new ferry . early eighties sorry no pics though x
Posted By: nettie Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2012 8:04pm
yep i worked in kwik save new ferry . early eighties sorry no pics though x
Posted By: arsenal Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2012 8:24pm
my wife worked there in 1968-69 she had to memorise all the prices in the shop. no photos tho
Posted By: dave_g Re: Old Work Places - 29th Apr 2012 9:00pm
was it the old kwik save where the roof collapsed?
Posted By: SUExx Re: Old Work Places - 30th Apr 2012 5:05am
Originally Posted by dave_g
was it the old kwik save where the roof collapsed?

I worked at the new ferry one as well, i was there when the roof fell in ,in the old one where iceland is now.
Posted By: marzie Re: Old Work Places - 31st May 2012 9:39pm
can anyone remember the stylewear factory in new ferry
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Old Work Places - 31st May 2012 10:25pm
My Mum worked there for years.....she even helped make the pants the Everton team wore for an FA Cup final ....it was in the Birkenhead News at the time !!
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Old Work Places - 5th Jun 2012 1:46am
Originally Posted by marzie

was that the old "jacksons" place on grove rd? my mum worked there
Posted By: marzie Re: Old Work Places - 6th Jun 2012 3:29pm
grove rd is in rock ferry not new ferry
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Old Work Places - 6th Jun 2012 5:32pm

yes----i worked there for a while many years ago, it was in Rock Ferry not New Ferry, it was off Bedford Rd---can't remember the name of the rd, and part of it was in the old church that was on New Chester Rd.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Old Work Places - 6th Jun 2012 5:35pm
Originally Posted by oxtonmac

was that the old "jacksons" place on grove rd? my mum worked there

i also worked in Jacksons in Grove Rd, they made overalls, it was called ''Jacksons the tailors'' why 'tailors' i don't know coz as i said they made overalls!!
Posted By: marzie Re: Old Work Places - 6th Jun 2012 5:59pm
when i worked for stylewear in the early sixties we made mens trousers for the likes of m&s and bhs, i worked as an hoffman presser.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Old Work Places - 6th Jun 2012 8:25pm
when i worked for stylewear in the early sixties we made mens trousers for the likes of m&s and bhs, i worked as an hoffman presser.

early 60s i was still at school, i left 67, so must of been early 70s, yeah, made mens trousers, i remember i was given the job of putting the flies in lol !did'nt know they made them for m&s and bhs!
don't think i was there long? i went from job to job----well you could then! i also worked in Berwicks in Wallasey, Wetheralls Liverpool,i even went to work in Butlins once! Austen Packaging Bromborough!
Posted By: TheComebackKid Re: Old Work Places - 8th Jun 2012 12:25pm
Yes I worked for British Leather too Derek, I was a Pipe Fitter Welder there around 1962, I repaired the leaking pipes in the boiler and replaced all the steam pipes in the tanning pits? I think thats what they were called.
I enjoyed working there.
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: Old Work Places - 2nd Oct 2012 11:05pm
I had an uncle who worked in the tannery(leather factory)
in the 40-50s, his name was Mackey Warhurst.
Does anyone remember the awful smell?
Posted By: cameraman Re: Old Work Places - 10th Feb 2013 12:43am
Candy Domestic Appliances strike action in the late 80's

Attached picture candy1.jpg
Posted By: cameraman Re: Old Work Places - 10th Feb 2013 12:47am
four more shots from the strike action

Attached picture candy2.jpg
Attached picture candy3.jpg
Attached picture candy4.jpg
Attached picture candy5.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old Work Places - 10th Feb 2013 5:14pm
W.H.Smiths, Grange Rd., next door to Pyke's. My first job was here in 1952.

Attached picture WH Smith small.jpg
Posted By: lansyp Re: Old Work Places - 10th Feb 2013 6:24pm
i used to work for corfe ,used to be great job and worked with great people .my sister used to work for gandy in the office as was mentioned on here
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: Old Work Places - 10th Feb 2013 8:31pm
my brother eddy worked in the pits there,,smelly at the best of times,,, and later I worked upstairs in packing, under Jim Manley...sorting and grading and packing, with the lovely smell of fresh dyed leather....hated brushing the suede, machines...it was a real nice and friendly floor....
Posted By: georgetheking Re: Old Work Places - 13th Feb 2013 3:17pm
I think I know that girl in the front on the left, is her name Pauline Whitby? Thank you.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral