Forums
Posted By: Stranger Woodside Cottage - 14th Mar 2011 3:39pm
I came across this old photo of Woodside Cottage.
I've no idea when it was taken but my question is where was it taken ? smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside Cottage - 14th Mar 2011 4:06pm
Woodside Cottage was the old Storeton Tramway crossing keeper's house. It stood where the tramway crossed Rest Hill Road.
Posted By: Stranger Re: Woodside Cottage - 14th Mar 2011 4:27pm
Give that man a cigar laugh

Anyone have an idea when the photo was taken ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside Cottage - 14th Mar 2011 5:30pm
As a child, I remember it as a ruin. Roof and top storey missing. That would be the mid/late '50's. So photo obviously taken sometime before then. Maybe someone else can chime in with an accurate date and get a cigar too !!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside Cottage - 14th Mar 2011 5:45pm
The last truck passed that way in 1905. I can't tell from the picture whether the doorway has been blocked up; if it has, then the photo is later than that. The cottage was reduced to rubble in the early 1960's,(according to R.C.Jermy's book, The Storeton Tramway). I remember it being in reasonable condition in the late 1940's.
Posted By: Stranger Re: Woodside Cottage - 14th Mar 2011 8:19pm
Thanks Guys.
I would assume that the tramway ran between the two sandstone posts ?
If that's the case, the rather makeshift barbed wire fence between the posts would seem to indicate that trams had finished operating.
Playing with the contrast in Photoshop shows the door to be intact.
I wonder what the numbers carved on the left hand gatepost signified ?
I know there's at least one gatepost still standing.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside Cottage - 14th Mar 2011 10:17pm
Correct about where the trains ran. Correct deduction re. barbed wire, therefore post 1905.
I remember when the rails across the road were still visible (early 1950's)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside Cottage - 15th Mar 2011 4:35am
There was a small section, about 18", of rail still protruding through the edge of the tarmac when I left Birkenhead. That was is 1977. It was on the far side of the road, opposite the site of Woodside Cottage. Maybe under more layers of tarmac by now - or it's been "lifted" ??

Chris... Being a member of the Friends of Storeton Woods, have you any idea where that display length of fish bellied tram rail in the woods is from ? Maybe it was dug up from the crossing ? Just a thought.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside Cottage - 15th Mar 2011 9:11am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Chris... Being a member of the Friends of Storeton Woods, have you any idea where that display length of fish bellied tram rail in the woods is from ? Maybe it was dug up from the crossing ? Just a thought.

That seems possible. My guess is that at some time the whole road bed was taken up & re-laid. Maybe someone up there could go & see if there's still a level section in the quite steep hill where the line crossed. HINT HINT
Posted By: Stranger Re: Woodside Cottage - 15th Mar 2011 1:16pm
I'm taking my dog to the woods later today so it's no bother to take a few pics.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside Cottage - 15th Mar 2011 3:31pm
Here's a lovely sketch of the cottage by Peter Westley, used on the back of the book "The Storeton Tramway" by R.C.Jermy. He's captured the feel of those Scots pines beautifully.

Attached picture 2011-03-15 15-27-06_0157.jpg
Posted By: Stranger Re: Woodside Cottage - 15th Mar 2011 8:42pm
I managed to get to the woods about 5pm.
The right hand gatepost, as you can see is still standing.
The Scots Pines have long gone though........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's no sign of the original tracks on the other side of the road.Possibly concreted over ?

[Linked Image]

The display length of fish bellied tram rail in the woods is at the far end of the old tram path (from the Rest Hill end) on the right hand side.

[Linked Image]

Finally a couple of pics of the display.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside Cottage - 15th Mar 2011 9:27pm
Thanks for posting your pics Stranger. Notice the horizontal light coloured band on the gatepost has remained all these years. I wonder if that was under a metal strap for the original gate hinges ?
Posted By: Stranger Re: Woodside Cottage - 15th Mar 2011 11:23pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Notice the horizontal light coloured band on the gatepost has remained all these years. I wonder if that was under a metal strap for the original gate hinges ?

I suppose that's possible though if you look closely at the pic of the gatepost you can see the original gudgeon, almost covered with ivy, set into the sandstone.
Posted By: kermit Re: Woodside Cottage - 15th Mar 2011 11:33pm
Good Pics
Posted By: chriskay Re: Woodside Cottage - 16th Mar 2011 9:20am
Thanks for the pics. The level section of the trackbed seems to have disappeared from the road. Pity the Scots pines have gone. There also used to be a few at the Marsh Lane end of the wood too; wonder if they're still there, they're one of my favourite trees.
Posted By: Stranger Re: Woodside Cottage - 16th Mar 2011 2:45pm
There's still a few Scots Pines in the woods Chris though a lot of the silver birch have been lost to gales over the past few years. Growing on the spoil of the quarry a lot have very shallow root systems so I suppose the losses are inevitable.
Back to Woodside Cottage.
Does anyone have a theory as to what the '25' carved on the left hand gatepost signified ?
I think it unlikely that it's the house number as there would need to be another twelve houses on that side of Rest Hill !
Posted By: Jolly Re: Woodside Cottage - 23rd Mar 2011 3:39am
I don't thik it is a 2, it is a different size to the 5 and not complete. Certainly a 5. Maybe some type of gate width notification, width looks about 5feet. Maybe somebody can photoshop it.

mindplayer(masquerading as Jolly - (at work and can't remember my mindplayer password.)
Posted By: PearceGenealogy Re: Woodside Cottage - 10th Feb 2016 11:40am
I am looking for my great great great grandfather George Pearce who died in 1818 having lived, I understand, at "Woodside Cottage" at his death. His death is registered at Bebington. I had wondered whether Woodside Cottage was close to Birkenhead Woodside or whether there was a cottage called Woodside in the area where Rock Park was later built where George might have lived and commuted by ferry to work in Liverpool.

However, seeing this picture of what was evidently a cottage near Storeton make me wonder if in fact his was where he lived. Was this Woodside Cottage there in 1818? Who live in it? Would Storeton be considered part of Bebington? Any records of a George Pearce, timber merchant, in Wirral 1790 - 1818?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Woodside Cottage - 10th Feb 2016 3:58pm
Yes, Storeton did come under Bebington.

While the tramway may have been present in 1818 (I'm not sure when it was built), this Woodside Cottage wasn't built until at least 1875.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral