Forums
Posted By: Christo Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 18th Feb 2011 9:47pm
Vaguely remember Summer asking for photos - just found this! :)http://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/homes/ROCKF02.html

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 18th Feb 2011 10:00pm
Good picture Chris, but it is Dacre House not Dacre Lodge

NEW CLICKY
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 18th Feb 2011 10:30pm
Dacre House was off Bebington Road, just North West of the little road called "Autumn Grove"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 18th Feb 2011 10:45pm
The write up says it closed in 1976, too much to hope that it's still standing is it?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 18th Feb 2011 10:48pm
Sorry, I thought I'd read to the end but I obviously hadn't. This was by Tesco?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 18th Feb 2011 10:48pm
Opposite side of the road from Tesco
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 18th Feb 2011 11:05pm
Its well gone, the houses to the left of Autumn Grove are on its land, as well as Autumn Grove, the house itself was set back some distance. Some of the original driveways are still there - look up the hill at the extra wide alleygates - I think that was a back entrance.

I think many other buildings around there are older, included the tenement type buildings (forgotten their name) at start of the hill from the lights, Fairs Camera building, and the Charles Stephen building.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 19th Feb 2011 7:03am
I used to go there in the sixties and help out at weekends, dig the gardens and bits and pieces, we were volunteered into it by our RI teacher from Woodchurch Sec, she always told us it was our first step to heaven, hope she was right. I remember it as Dacre Hill orphanage, most of the children i can recall were just baby's around the ages of 3/4 and very well looked after. It did seem a happy place.
Posted By: Christo Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 19th Feb 2011 8:31am
I was originally looking around Highfield Road, as I had relatives who lived near there, and ended up with this:-

http://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/homes/ROCKF01.html

(from where I found the one I assumed to be Summer's place).

On reading, the Home then moved to 12 Derby Place (I couldn't trace this), which I assumed to be where Derby House was (on the opposite corner to The Abbottsford by New Chester Road) but no sign of it. Any ideas, anyone?
smile
Posted By: BettyTurnip1 Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 19th Feb 2011 10:20am
Originally Posted by bert1
I used to go there in the sixties and help out at weekends, dig the gardens and bits and pieces, we were volunteered into it by our RI teacher from Woodchurch Sec, she always told us it was our first step to heaven, hope she was right. I remember it as Dacre Hill orphanage, most of the children i can recall were just baby's around the ages of 3/4 and very well looked after. It did seem a happy place.

I used to go to Well Lane Middle School in Tranmere,in the 70's, and we had a boy from this home at our school. He was a lovely lad,very well dressed and well mannered. I dont mean to be rude when i say this but he was the first coloured person I had seen in my life! I thought him quite handsome. He had to move away when the home closed...
Posted By: woodley Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 21st Feb 2011 1:02pm
Bert. This is probably asking too much, but would you have any info on a house named "Revelstoke" in Rock Lane West. It was My paternal grandparents house (passed to daughter Evelyn Redrobe Nee Graham on their death). My aunt died in 1959 and her husband Pat remarried. It was opposite No. 20 (a row of terraces )which was maternal grandparents house. In 1992 I saw that the terrace house is now divided into flats and Revelstoke has gone. Tried everything I knew to discover how No.20 was acquired by Merseyside housing as when my grandmother (Illidge) died, the house was willed to my mother's sister as she always lived there and contents to my mother. Of course my mother couldn't claim her inheritance being out here and my aunt (Joan Wrench) died much later, having lost her only child in a car accident early sixties. If you or anyone could shed a glimmer I'm most curious.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 21st Feb 2011 3:19pm
Originally Posted by ruth0339
Bert. This is probably asking too much, but would you have any info on a house named "Revelstoke" in Rock Lane West. It was My paternal grandparents house (passed to daughter Evelyn Redrobe Nee Graham on their death). My aunt died in 1959 and her husband Pat remarried. It was opposite No. 20 (a row of terraces )which was maternal grandparents house. In 1992 I saw that the terrace house is now divided into flats and Revelstoke has gone. Tried everything I knew to discover how No.20 was acquired by Merseyside housing as when my grandmother (Illidge) died, the house was willed to my mother's sister as she always lived there and contents to my mother. Of course my mother couldn't claim her inheritance being out here and my aunt (Joan Wrench) died much later, having lost her only child in a car accident early sixties. If you or anyone could shed a glimmer I'm most curious.

Sorry Ruth, can't help you on that one, Revelstoke being an unusual name, Lord Revelstoke was one of the Baring's of the bankers world, perhaps they put up the money for the building of those premises, the only other obscure link is that Baring's used to sub Nathaniel Hawthorne, resident of Rock Park.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 21st Feb 2011 4:50pm
Just a little snippet

Attached picture r.JPG
Posted By: woodley Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 22nd Feb 2011 1:45am
Thanks for trying Bert. My folks used to rent out rooms in Revelstoke which really rubbed my other Gran the wrong way. They would have bought the house (I'm guessing) in the thirties "cos my mum and dad married in 1937. I was really hoping someone may have had a photo of it.
Posted By: ap493 Re: Rock Ferry - Dacre Hill - 17th Aug 2023 10:05am
Late to the party, but Revelstoke is the house on the left. Its coach house still stands. Big place back in the day. To the right are Tynwald followed by Victoria Drive and Dunraven.

Attached picture 1948_rf_revelstoke_tynwald_dunroamin.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral