Forums
Posted By: Bezzymate Green Shield Stamps - 17th Jan 2011 9:37pm
The supermarkets think they are onto a new thing with thier reward points,but who remembers Green Shield Stamps?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Green Shield Stamps - 17th Jan 2011 9:39pm
ME! ME! ME!!!
And cigarette coupons raftl
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Green Shield Stamps - 17th Jan 2011 9:41pm
Here we go!!!!
Posted By: starakita Re: Green Shield Stamps - 17th Jan 2011 9:44pm
I remember them sticking them in books then taking the books to the shop.My mum and dad have still got a travel rug they got with the stamps.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Green Shield Stamps - 17th Jan 2011 9:45pm
My Grandad owned 'Griffith Funeral Home'on Liscard Rd.
The family joke was that you could use their service or go further down the road to the co-op,where you could also collect GSS!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Green Shield Stamps - 17th Jan 2011 10:17pm
Co-op stamps and Green Shields Stamps were 2 different things.
Co-op gave out their stamps which could be traded in for money off your shopping - known as the Co-op divvie.
GSS you got from Spar, petrol stations and other corner shop / newsagents and these could only be traded in for goods at a GSS showroom.

But yes I remember the jokes that used to fly around about stamps from the Co-op funeral directors particularly about getting double stamps on a Tuesday raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Shield Stamps - 17th Jan 2011 11:16pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
My Grandad owned 'Griffith Funeral Home'on Liscard Rd.
The family joke was that you could use their service or go further down the road to the co-op,where you could also collect GSS!

I remember both Green Shield and Co-op stamps, do you remember those machines attached to the tills that used to spew the stamps out as the checkout girl, (and they were all female back then) tapped out the prices of your purchases?

Somewhat off topic but I used to live above the Co-op funeral parlour on Liscard Road in the 80's.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Green Shield Stamps - 17th Jan 2011 11:39pm
If I remember correctly, the co-op did do green shield stamps for a short while before going on to their co-op blue stamps. Tesco and some petrol stations (Shell & BP possibly) were the main source of green shield stamps.

There were also pink-shield stamps, I think texaco and mobil might have used these.
Posted By: Colgo Re: Green Shield Stamps - 18th Jan 2011 12:04am
There was a bandit in wilkies in New Brighton that paid out in gss
Posted By: Colgo Re: Green Shield Stamps - 18th Jan 2011 12:21am
Ok, how sad is this,just been for root in the "Things that may be useful oneday" drawer and found this
These are the new ones from about 1976 !

Attached picture cover (Medium).jpg
Attached picture inside (Medium).jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Green Shield Stamps - 18th Jan 2011 12:28am
Good one Colgo thumbsup
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Green Shield Stamps - 18th Jan 2011 8:09am
Excellent! clap
Originally Posted by Colgo
Ok, how sad is this,just been for root in the "Things that may be useful oneday" drawer and found this
These are the new ones from about 1976 !
Posted By: chriskay Re: Green Shield Stamps - 18th Jan 2011 8:25am
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner

Co-op gave out their stamps which could be traded in for money off your shopping - known as the Co-op divvie.

Don't remember Co-op stamps, but I remember when you had a number which you gave when you went shopping. Then, maybe once a year, (or 6 months), you went to Catherine St. to collect your divi. My mother's number was 2928 & my gran's was 11035. Anyone else remember their number?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Green Shield Stamps - 18th Jan 2011 9:04am
I can remember using the coop number, but i can't remember exactly what it was, Green shield stamps were never under my control but the old ciggy coupons were, with smoking like a chimney, they used to come in handy around Christmas time for getting a few presents, also for getting on Navel ships in Lairds when i forgot my pass, i used to wave a No6 coupon in front of the security guards eyes, looked very similar.
I can remember fancying a video recorder when they first came out, i thought I'll get one with my coupons, you actually needed about 27,000 to get one, no chance.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Shield Stamps - 18th Jan 2011 9:34am
My Mum's divi number was 82755. Imprinted in the brain after all these years. She used to keep all the little yellow/cream (?) receipts that were torn out of that long duplicate book affair.

I can still taste the adhesive on the backs of those Green Shield Stamps now ! Yuk !!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Green Shield Stamps - 18th Jan 2011 10:31am
Good morning summer ! Can't chat too much, my Zimmer Frame has been nicked. Bas*ards !! I've called the police !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Green Shield Stamps - 9th Jan 2023 3:19am
I remember Green Shield Stamps and Coop stamps but there were others I remember as well.

Pink Stamps, usually called Pink Shield Stamps.

And some Blue Stamps, usually called Blue Shield Stamps.

I found these in my "essential" hoardings but I'm not sure if they were THE "Blue Shield Stamps"?

Attached picture bstamps.jpeg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral