Forums
Posted By: RobBB Birkenhead General PO Argyle St. - 9th Sep 2010 7:48pm
Late 50's I think.
Hope I'm not repeating anyone's past posts.

Attached picture B'head general PO Argyle St. 2.jpg
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Birkenhead General PO Argyle St. - 9th Sep 2010 8:31pm
Only closed a couple of years ago!
Posted By: Hiekel_Essterol Re: Birkenhead General PO Argyle St. - 10th Sep 2010 9:40am
But just before it closed the inside definitely didnt match the grandeur of the outside.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Birkenhead General PO Argyle St. - 10th Sep 2010 8:43pm
Thats true !
Posted By: Frankg Re: Birkenhead General PO Argyle St. - 10th Sep 2015 10:14am
It was the old Ministry of Works building I believe.

i worked in there for the PO for quite a number of years.....nice building.
Posted By: Norton Re: Birkenhead General PO Argyle St. - 10th Sep 2015 10:30am
The date on the building is 1907. On a 1911 map it is shown as General Post Office, which it was until fairly recently.

It had the usual counter positions on the public side and a sorting office inside with loading bays to the rear.

So if it was MoW, when would that have been?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead General PO Argyle St. - 10th Sep 2015 11:37am
The Ministry of Labour (works) was in 1923, 63 Argyle Street, previously in 1910 the address is shown as being occupied by, J Roberts & Co, Silk Merchants. Later in 1938, 63 Argyle St was the address of, Harris Bros, Tailors, Boilermakers Society, Society Of Woodworkers, Fred Wharton, Steward. Perhaps part of the PO was used before moving to Bridge St.

Images, 1923 & 1938 directories.

Attached picture ministry of labour.JPG
Attached picture 1938 post off.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead General PO Argyle St. - 10th Sep 2015 12:03pm
Come to think of it, Frank must mean, Ministry of Works, Wartime and after.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Birkenhead General PO Argyle St. - 10th Sep 2015 5:32pm
I can remember going there to pick up a parcel in the late 40s early 50s, I was sent round the back, where there were horses and stables, must have been the last of the horse drawn wagons.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral