Forums
Posted By: derekdwc censuses - 15th Apr 2010 2:05pm
Just comparing this one at
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/pdfs/H1.pdf

with this 1911 one (1 page) sent to me by History
thanks again

not looked yet at the last column but political correctness?

Attached picture 1911 census.jpg
Attached picture cen part.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 2:19pm
imbecile and feeble minded mean more or less the same, describing most of us on here.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 2:21pm
so on next census 1911 we can put wikiwirral as place of residence
Posted By: bert1 Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 2:30pm
The same wording is on the 1901 census, not sure what census they were removed, i briefly looked into the use of those words once and people used them for uneducated members of their family because they couldn't read or write. It didn't necessarily mean they had mental illness.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 2:33pm
hey don't forget us lunatics on wikiwirral

way things going may join Screaming Lord Sutchs' Monster Raving Looney Party
Posted By: bert1 Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 2:36pm
plenty of crazy people on here, WOBBLE
Posted By: derekdwc Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 2:48pm
the more bureacrats we have the longer the census forms get
Next we can add our hobbies, shopping and other things - do away
with all these surveys trying to get info - sell the data make billions and come out of the recession
Posted By: Anonymous Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 2:48pm
Speak for yourself!!!
I am!
Not you!
Oh! Sorry!!!!
Posted By: history Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 3:26pm
Anyone into family history will know that after the 1911 census although they were still every 10 years apart from in ww2(none taken then), the 1921 and 1931 census were damaged in the war. will be very lucky to find anything.

so best check directories for address and then check electoral roll books.

the 1951 census, should not be availble till 2051. Hopefully, the government sees sense(haha) and issues it earlier.

so scan your 2011 census and keep in your family history file!!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 3:39pm
Will it come in the post? I seem to remember in 1991 a couple of clipboards knocked at the door?!
Posted By: history Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 3:47pm
well the 2001 came by post or through the letterbox...took ages to fill out and they wanted to know everything....
I cant remember if I filled everything out correctly.
the next one will be fun.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 4:26pm
Funny, i cant remember the 2001 one? Probably because in 1991 i had just left home and was perhaps a bit 'alarmed' by officialdom-if that makes sense!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 5:10pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Funny, i cant remember the 2001 one?
Were you down the pub? wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: censuses - 15th Apr 2010 5:16pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Funny, i cant remember the 2001 one?
Were you down the pub? wink
shh raftl
Posted By: marty99fred Re: censuses - 20th Apr 2010 9:18am
Originally Posted by bert1
The same wording is on the 1901 census, not sure what census they were removed, i briefly looked into the use of those words once and people used them for uneducated members of their family because they couldn't read or write. It didn't necessarily mean they had mental illness.

Many people aren't aware that terms such as 'imbecile' and 'feeble-minded' were once the subject of strict legal definitions. The 1913 Mental Deficiency Act, for example, defined four grades of Mental Defective. In each case the condition had to be present "from birth or from an early age." The first two consisted of individuals who these days would be classed as having a learning disability, whilst the third often included people of average intelligence who had somehow fallen by the wayside, the "socially inefficient" as they were called in those days:

Idiot – a person "so deeply defective in mind as to be unable to guard against common physical dangers."

Imbecile – a person who could protect themselves from common dangers, but unable to take care of themselves. Imbeciles were not idiots, but were "incapable of managing themselves or their affairs, or, in the case of children, of being taught to do so."

Feeble-minded – persons requiring care to protect themselves. Feeble-minded people were neither idiots nor imbeciles, but if adults, their condition was "so pronounced that they require care, supervision, and control for their own protection or the protection of others." If children of school age, their condition was "so pronounced that they by reason of such defectiveness appear to be personally incapable of receiving proper benefit from instruction in ordinary schools."

Moral Defectives - moral defectives were people who, from an early age, displayed "some permanent mental defect coupled with strong vicious or criminal propensities on which punishment had little or no effect." Unmarried mothers also became absorbed into this category.

These categories remained in force until abolished by the Mental Health Act of 1959.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: censuses - 20th Apr 2010 4:32pm
Interesting, I would have classed "Imbecile" as thicker than "Idiot" in common usage.

I have met a lot of people I would call idiots, but not so many I would call imbeciles .... then I joined WikiWirral raftl
Posted By: derekdwc Re: censuses - 1st Mar 2011 10:23am
When is the 2011 census due to be taken?
Will it all be done by post?

I wonder what the generation of 2111 will think when looking at some of our replies, they'll have 8 pages to trawl through though
Posted By: Sanchez Re: censuses - 1st Mar 2011 10:28am
I want to know why the results are sent off to Skunk works in america (highly restricted military area).
Posted By: Geekus Re: censuses - 1st Mar 2011 10:34am
We'll all be hearing plenty about it in the coming weeks mate. 27 March is the official census day but according to the telly adverts they're saying that you can complete the info earlier than that on line.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral