Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 22nd Mar 2010 5:01pm
got this at St Georges sunday also Wirral street names book
here are a few pics (have had permission off Countyvise to put on site)
If ordering save postage Countyvise are local in Birkenhead
just off Argyle st south

If any mods feel up to it maybe put pics in appropiate topics

Attached picture bhead book.jpg

Description: Astor
Attached picture Astor.jpg

Description: co op
Attached picture co op2.jpg

Description: by Astor I remember this shop
Attached picture last standing.jpg

Description: Was the building on the left the Happy Valley pub
Attached picture poss Happy Valley pub.jpg
Posted By: ronnie Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 22nd Mar 2010 6:02pm
Great pics them Derek, where about on Argyle Street South is Countyvise?
never been to them

just google Countryvise and see list of books and address

Where the old railway and coal sidings used to be half way up Argle st south

now an industrial estate
Posted By: ronnie Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 22nd Mar 2010 6:37pm
Cheers Derek, I know where you mean, definately looks interesting that book. thumbsup
72 pages only about 6 are text rest photos

If you go there ask to look at
Two Up and Two Down by John Fagan, and see if there are many pics in it please and let me know
Posted By: jimbob Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 22nd Mar 2010 7:32pm
Yes that is the Happy Valley pub on the right of that photo and the building on the oposit corner just at the rear of the wagons tail gate was Inghams the gents outfitters. Stood in the doorway of Ignhams waiting for the bride on are first date 54 years ago.
Posted By: ronnie Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 22nd Mar 2010 7:42pm
I'll probably go in there on Thursday Derek, so I'll let you know then.
wow thats brought back memories.
The pile of bricks with the shop in the background, I remember well. The bricks were Hardings, Atherton Hall and the Music Hall Pub. Corner of Oliver Street, Atherton Street.
One of the fellas who worked in the shop went to live in Thingwall.
Last time i saw him was in the 80's.

Would be good to see more pics.

nice pics derek thanks for shearing bud thumbsup
Posted By: ronnie Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 25th Mar 2010 1:29pm
Derek I have just been there and the book you asked about doesn't have photographs just small sketches and poems.
thanks ronnie
Didyou see anything else interesting there
Posted By: ronnie Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 25th Mar 2010 4:18pm
They had quite a few other titles on display in there but I didn't look at anything else though Derek, well worth a visit.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 27th Mar 2010 8:26am
Used to go in the paper shop opposite the fire station every day,I lived in Lowther Street and went to the Charing Cross Methodist youth club,the shop used to get me the NME,Practical Wireless,Wireless World and various other monthly books,that picture brought back memories,when they were knocking the area down ,I was living in Liverpool and working in Scotland, missed out on them blowing up Oak and Eldon Gardens as I was working in the Middle East but did see it on the local news.
They've got a website

http://countyvise.tbpcontrol.co.uk/...amp;s=C&r=10000796&ui=0&bc=0
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 27th Mar 2010 12:33pm
I often purchase books from Countywise. In fact, orderd two books yesterday.

I recommend them.
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 29th Mar 2010 7:13pm
Because of this thread I ordered that book direct from Countryvise on Friday, I think, and it arrived the next day. Excellent service and a very interesting book imho. Thanks for putting it up derekdwc.
does anyone remember marion street and the old cathcart street school
Yes i remember Marion st my Nan lived on the corner next st then was Roland st Good times as i lived in Kinmel st just down the road i also went to Cathcart st school cant remember Heads name she always had a big jar of sweets on her desk i must be going back to middle 60s...
has anyone got pictures of marion street and the old cathcart street school.
Posted By: dingle Re: Birkenhead not so long ago book by Peter Reid - 13th Jul 2010 10:36am
Hi Jimbob, I used to work in Inghams. Iwas a delivery boy with a bike. Lovely people Mr and Mrs Ingham.
Originally Posted by jimbob
Yes that is the Happy Valley pub on the right of that photo and the building on the oposit corner just at the rear of the wagons tail gate was Inghams the gents outfitters. Stood in the doorway of Ignhams waiting for the bride on are first date 54 years ago.

looking at the picture there seems to be a street between the buildings which if you look at the map puts the pub doorway as where you waited on your first date

from 1916 street directory

Pickering, John, Happy Valley Hotel,
348 Borough road,

Attached picture poss_Happy_Valley_pub.jpg
Attached picture happy_valley.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral