Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Orangemans Parade Late 50's I think. - 17th Mar 2010 12:55am
Here is a picture I found rummaging through my photo box. It's the only 'old' one I have found, unfortunately. I believe it's the Orangemans Parade that used to go through Birkenhead, probably not P.C. anymore! My dad, Sep Bennett is dead centre of the pic. (I hope it uploads)This is on Oxton Road, the Plumbers Arms is now Grange Corner book shop, the vent on the Barton Street wall, far right, just above centre is still there! as is the mark on the wall where the Barton Street sign used to be. Hope this brings back some memories for some of you!
Posted By: mrallen Re: Orangemans Parade Late 50's I think. - 17th Mar 2010 6:46am
I am wondering if my grandmother was further back in the parade out of view. Nice photo willjb.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Orangemans Parade Late 50's I think. - 17th Mar 2010 7:20am
I had a mate in the sixties who's family were heavily in to the lodge' they were all originally from Northern Ireland. At that time the Warwick Arms in Westbourne Rd seemed to be the meeting place, I'm not saying it was the lodge, its where they met after marches. On the 12th of July, Orange Day, the main march for this area took place in Southport.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Orangemans Parade Late 50's I think. - 17th Mar 2010 1:31pm
great photo ok if I put it in the pub section please

Used to watch the Orange Lodge bands as they went down Grange Road ( I think on the way to Woodside )
As they reached St Werburghs church each band would suddenly stop playing until they got past the church and then start up again
Anyone know when the last march down Grange Rd took place
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Orangemans Parade Late 50's I think. - 17th Mar 2010 2:42pm
By all means, Derek. I was going to post it on the Plumbers Arms topic but I thought it would make a better separate subject.
Posted By: nuddy Re: Orangemans Parade Late 50's I think. - 17th Mar 2010 6:33pm
Somebody told me the other day the Orange Lodge club was at the bottom end of Woodchurch road, in between the kids hospital and whats now the art shop. a block of flats is there now.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Orangemans Parade Late 50's I think. - 17th Mar 2010 7:22pm
Originally Posted by nuddy
Somebody told me the other day the Orange Lodge club was at the bottom end of Woodchurch road, in between the kids hospital and whats now the art shop. a block of flats is there now.
It sure was nuddy, smile
I lived round that way?people lined up on oxton road to see them march past,
mid 1960s happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral