Forums
Posted By: DavidB Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 3:25pm
Coming across a few oldies from the 80's:

[Linked Image]

Who remembers the 64 and the 64a. This used to take me straight to my house from Birkenhead.

Basking in the low evening sunlight Merseybus Leyland Atlantean AN68, A232 GLV goes about it's business. This very late example of the breed, in production concurrently with the Olympian, had bodywork by W. Alexander of Falkirk. For me, this was the most attractive of all the MPTE colour scemes. The ventilator towers for one of the Mersey river tunnels can be seen against the skyline.

This very bus is now preserved in St Helen's transport museum.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 3:28pm
[Linked Image]

Merseybus 1922, a 1981 Leyland Atlantean AN68 with Alexander bodywork seen in Birkenhead in the Autumn of 1990.

Posted By: DavidB Re: Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 3:35pm
[Linked Image]

Crosville National at Woodside 18th July 1985
Posted By: DavidB Re: Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 3:36pm
[Linked Image]

Out of service First-PMT/Crosville Leyland Lynx SLC850 (G936YRY), pulling out of Heswall Bus Station, Wirral in June1998.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 3:39pm
[Linked Image]

Ticket kiosks in the old Woodside Ferry Terminal Building, Birkenhead in June 1985.

Nice and 'warm' compared to the sterile bright terminals of today!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 3:50pm
Violet, used to drive for the old Corpy and then MPTE. I knew the 64 alright. Used to take Dixie Dean on it. That was known as the twerly route, loads and loads of pensioners trying to get on before 9 oclock. "Sorry love, twerly" I am one myself now but they are good foties. The 70a there as well, brought back some memories, cheers.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 3:55pm
Didn't Dixie Dean work as a hotel caretaker or porter? Was it the village? I can't remember, think he lived near where I used to live.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 3:58pm
Revered for his sportsmanship as well as his burgeoning talent, he was never once booked or dismissed - despite the kind of provocation which once saw him lose a testicle in a match.

Flippin heck!!
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 6:22pm
Excellent pictures. They have brought back memorys of being 12/ 13 ish and getting various buses to school. Mersey bus where always dirty and shabby and stank. Crossville where a bit more rare but they where clean, warm and had nice comfy seats. Red rider when they first started only had a handful of buses that where all rather old and for some reason driven like maniacs by the drivers which we atchelly used to love.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Random old photos - 20th Oct 2009 6:41pm
^ Yeah, that hit the nail on the head. The black floors on Merseybus were always sticky with caramelised soft drinks, with the odd coke can rolling back and forth down the bus as it braked/accelerated. They had hard vinyl, (sometimes solid plastic) seats, which had evil chromed handrails that you always banged your head on. Sitting at the back over the engine was really hot. Rarely got a Crosville bus, but they were more comfy, and posh, I remember.
Posted By: only1pj Re: Random old photos - 25th Jan 2011 3:07am
Are you sure that "this very bus is now preserved in St Helen's transport museum"? It is not listed on their fleet list! They have several MPTE buses but no with this registration number. Click
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Random old photos - 25th Jan 2011 12:05pm
Originally Posted by DavidB
Coming across a few oldies from the 80's:

[Linked Image]

Who remembers the 64 and the 64a. This used to take me straight to my house from Birkenhead.

i remember the 64 & 64a, and look at the old bus shelter! don't see them like that now! look like plastic now, useally with a smashed window!!

Basking in the low evening sunlight Merseybus Leyland Atlantean AN68, A232 GLV goes about it's business. This very late example of the breed, in production concurrently with the Olympian, had bodywork by W. Alexander of Falkirk. For me, this was the most attractive of all the MPTE colour scemes. The ventilator towers for one of the Mersey river tunnels can be seen against the skyline.

This very bus is now preserved in St Helen's transport museum.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Random old photos - 25th Jan 2011 12:12pm
I remember them, used to drive them. You knew where a bus was going in them days, haven't a clue now. Dixie Dean used to be a regular passenger on the 64, Happy Days.
Even the 70a behind, brilliant.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Random old photos - 25th Jan 2011 12:15pm
I'm getting old, answered this post ages ago, forgot.
oldman
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Random old photos - 25th Jan 2011 3:50pm
Yeah Merseybus was always a bit shabby looking and found braking down, I remember Crosville getting like airplane style seats on the newer buses and all the kids thought it was great.

Merseybus was a bit dirty until silver service came along lol.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Random old photos - 25th Jan 2011 4:19pm
The ferry terminal in 1985 had not changed from the 1950s when I used it!
Bri
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Random old photos - 25th Jan 2011 5:04pm
Remember the puddle river on the upper decks, with fag ends floating in it.
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Random old photos - 26th Jan 2011 9:01pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Violet, used to drive for the old Corpy and then MPTE. I knew the 64 alright. Used to take Dixie Dean on it. That was known as the twerly route, loads and loads of pensioners trying to get on before 9 oclock. "Sorry love, twerly" I am one myself now but they are good foties. The 70a there as well, brought back some memories, cheers.

Used to get the 64 all the time. Broadway was were you used to hear "Am I twerly" a lot.

Posted By: chriskay Re: Random old photos - 27th Jan 2011 10:38am
64 was my route too. Irvine Rd. was my stop.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral