Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Boys clubs in Birkenhead - 25th Sep 2009 10:09am
In the 1950s I used to go to the Shaftesbury Boys Club in Jackson st/Thomas st and also to Birkenhead Boys club
I can remember later playing table tennis against Vikings club in Rock Ferry and McAlisters by Hamilton Square

What did the girls of that era have in the way of youth clubs
rhat's there for the youth of today
Any photos will be appreciated

Description: is this/was McAlisters building
Attached picture McAlisters .jpg

Description: Birkenhead Boys Club 2009
Attached picture Birkenhead Boys Club.jpg
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: Boys clubs in Birkenhead - 25th Sep 2009 10:24am
I went to the 11th Birkenhead cubs which was off Cleveland Street around Park Street if my memory serves me right!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Boys clubs in Birkenhead - 25th Sep 2009 10:38am
Used to go the Birkenhead Boys and the Shafts didn't quite do it for me for some reason. B Boys always crosses my mind when I have a hot Oxo drink. About as near as we could get to a beef joint then.
Posted By: queensferry Re: Boys clubs in Birkenhead - 16th Apr 2010 8:14pm
i use to go to the shafts and was in zeigler house so it said on my tally that was inthe 1960s
Posted By: jimbob Re: Boys clubs in Birkenhead - 16th Apr 2010 8:40pm
went to the shafts in the early 50s dont remember which house i was in. what i do remeber very clear was what was called the rough house down in the basement. you could have a right rough and tumble with your mates, all good clean fun.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Boys clubs in Birkenhead - 16th Apr 2010 8:46pm
from book about the Shafts lent me by Bert
Ziegler
Bickersteth
Norrish
Paul

Bear ye one anothers burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ

ask about film jelly jamboree

We are the members of the S.B.C.
Everybody knows
We know our manners
How to spend our tanners
We are respected whereever we may go
And when we travel on a railway train
We open the windows wide
We know how to use our feet
I tiddly i ti down the street
We are the Shaftesbury Boys
Posted By: ColinW Re: Boys clubs in Birkenhead - 30th Apr 2013 2:11am
I always new this club as "the Callister youth club" or the Cally used to go to the Friday night disco every week, the leader at the time was Eve Canell who later went on to become youth Leader at the Birkenhead Boys Club on Watson Street.
Posted By: mikekong Re: Boys clubs in Birkenhead - 11th Dec 2013 9:50pm
Originally Posted by ColinW
I always new this club as "the Callister youth club" or the Cally used to go to the Friday night disco every week, the leader at the time was Eve Canell who later went on to become youth Leader at the Birkenhead Boys Club on Watson Street.

I used to go the "Cally" & I also remember Eve, she had bleach blonde hair didn't she?
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: Boys clubs in Birkenhead - 12th Dec 2013 12:37am
Hi Derek I have the Jelly Jamboree on dvd...along with shafts camps from 1966 and 67.......knock next door when you are in your daughters....ill run up a copy for you.........
Frank
© Wirral-Wikiwirral