Forums
Posted By: Northender Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 3:34am
The Iceland store closed down yesterday (Sat 24/01/09), so it looks like the demolition will go ahead soon.

According to the council website, the Blood Tub demolition was scheduled to start on Jan 4th but so far only the utilities have been disconnected.

I also noticed a sign opposite St James junction saying "Welcome to Ilchester Park"
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 7:47am
icelands doors shut for the last time hi to netto!

Attached picture kwick.JPG
Posted By: Ducko Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 11:21am
aka the se n se
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 6:02pm
what is ilchester park gonna be,more houses ?...makes it sound posh when you stick the word park on the end.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 6:24pm
The park is staying mate!
Posted By: Mark Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 8:01pm
As i was passing today lol

Attached picture 2009_0125-10006.JPG
Attached picture 2009_0125-10002.JPG
Attached picture 2009_0125-10004.JPG
Attached picture 2009_0125-10005.JPG
Attached picture 2009_0125-10007.JPG
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 8:21pm
Nice one mate!
Posted By: jimbob Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 10:16pm
Ilchester Park. so thats more of my council tax been wasted by putting up a stupid sign. Its the same as Hoylake Road getting that stupid Bidston Rise sign.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 10:26pm
Ilchester SQAURE not park are you nutz!!! council??? Wheres the lake ? The trees ? the nice things you see in a park ???????? Honestly to me its still Ilchester Square sorry!
Posted By: jimbob Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 10:38pm
The next thing will be a fancy name going up on a sign for the River Streets area
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 11:16pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Wheres the lake ? The trees ? the nice things you see in a park ????????

empty white lightening bottles floating in the lake
smackheads and chavs
burnt out cars and wrecked stolen bikes.....yes, where are all the nice things? lol
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 11:19pm
This site were Kwik Save is, its suppose to be getting takin over by Netto and there is also going to be a B&M put there.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 25th Jan 2009 11:23pm
thats a good posibility,netto took over the kwik save site by seacombe ferry recently.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Jan 2009 12:02am
I think its pretty set in stone - the planning application has gone through. I posted the details on here a while ago -= maybe even in this thread.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums..._kwick_save_by_blood_tub.html#Post267482
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Jan 2009 10:12pm
used to spend my time looking at the fish in the little pet shop while missus was running around iceland.welcome to the "ilchester lee tapestry park and gardens" branch of netto
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Jan 2009 3:48am
I remember the original store that was in there after the Tapestry works closed. It was the C and C and later became a Kwik Save. There was also a DIY shop in there where the Iceland was.
It could have been worse. If the Kwik Save had become a Somerfield nobody could afforded to shop there. I saw an news item about the Co-op taking Somerfield over this week as well. I reckon when those side streets in Laird Street are gone, Tesco will build another Metro there to kill off the rest of the small shops, like they are doing in claughton Village.
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Jan 2009 10:58am
Ive just heard news that the work will be started or finished (not sure) by april.
And its suppose to be the same building and there going to be a Netto, B&M, Iceland on that site.
Posted By: Ducko Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Jan 2009 2:46pm
the iceland was allso the x caterlog shop
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 5th Feb 2009 2:39am
Here are some pictures of the Kwik Save from the late 80's when they were finishing off the new roof and cladding.

A General View
[Linked Image]

Workmen completing the new frontage
[Linked Image]

There are no houses along the Townsend Street side of the Car Park at this time. The old playground on the park has no fencing as this is the original one donated by Mobil which had a wooden slide which was regularly set alight by local scals.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 5th Feb 2009 7:20am
Good pics Northender. I use to live on Wallasaey Bridge Road when these were taken and my sister lived on Townsend Street.

Nice memories.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 5th Feb 2009 7:32am
Nice pixs
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 5th Feb 2009 3:03pm
A wodden slide? Makes me think splinters in the bum!

I remember walking to and from the kwiky as a kid. My mum had a wheelie shopper but i can remember carrying bags on my arm and ending up with welts on my wrists from the bag handles. I truly hated that journey there and back. I liked the big shop that sold all sorts of stuff on the right as you went in. I remember getting a little pencil sharpener in there that was metal and looked like a gramaphone. Even had a little turning handle.
Funny what memories you keep and what ones are discarded.
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Feb 2009 12:34am
There was a DIY shop called Status in there at one time. It was where the Iceland was. There was also a Super drug there at the front of the Kwik Save tills.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Feb 2009 12:57am
do yourself a favour...be a liquasava!! lol remember the jingle?

liquasave at kwiksave
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Feb 2009 1:02am
Not our local but funny nevertheless

[youtube]pLNDeAmVG2A[/youtube]
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Feb 2009 1:39am
raftl
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Feb 2009 4:37am
My mate done the security in the north end one, he said there wasnt much shop lifting eather.
Posted By: daveymoff Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 11th Feb 2009 4:18pm
Another pile of crap from Wirral Borough Council. What a bunch of incompetent dicks. They couldn't organise a beach party on a desert island.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 2nd Mar 2009 9:44pm
Security fencing has finally gone around the Kwik Save in North End today, this means demolition wont be too far off!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 2nd Mar 2009 9:48pm
exellent smile

Watchout for scrap theives coming to a store near you laugh
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 2nd Mar 2009 9:53pm
Its suppose to be staying that building.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 2nd Mar 2009 10:26pm
tisn't there on the plans don't think
Posted By: Northender North End Kwik Save/Iceland Demolition. - 2nd Mar 2009 11:34pm
Hello

Security fencing is being erected around the Kwik Save site at Stanley Road Birkenhead. Looks like the contractors will be on site this week. I will post some pictures soon.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Mar 2009 6:02pm
This is what its like now

Attached picture kwicksave.JPG
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Mar 2009 9:15pm
There is no machinery on site as yet. Just a container.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: SoundLad Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Mar 2009 9:18pm
I remember years ago through those metal doors there was another part of the shop where iceland was it sold different things what was it called?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Mar 2009 9:21pm
nice pixs northender mate!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Mar 2009 9:39pm
MFI were there at one time
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Mar 2009 9:51pm
where thay?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Mar 2009 9:56pm
I don't remember MFI being on the kwik save site, but around 35 years ago they were in Valley Rd. What was on the kwik save site before the Kwik.
Posted By: Jamie_LFC Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 5th Mar 2009 9:06pm
Next thing you know there will be a sign sayen
"Welcome To Corporation road"

Closing Iceland has forced me to resort to buying coleslaw from KFC
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 5th Mar 2009 11:41pm
The Kwik Save building was Arthur H Lee's Tapestry Works which closed down in the early 1970's. Part of it was demolished. There was a high wall around the site originally.

The DIY shop in the Iceland unit was called Status and they sold their own brand of paint etc. The unit then became the Ex Cat shop which sold catalogue returns cheap.

The Kwik Save demolition began today 5 March. They have started round the Townsend Street side. I have pictures which I will post soon.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 1:01am
think Hmmm, interesting photo here, is it HDR?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 1:03am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
think Hmmm, interesting photo here, is it HDR?

[Linked Image]

i know what your thinking wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 1:38am
Originally Posted by bert1
I don't remember MFI being on the kwik save site, but around 35 years ago they were in Valley Rd. What was on the kwik save site before the Kwik.

Not too sure, I remember it was about the time that MFI took over Hygena, might be getting mixed up with the ex-cat shop that was mentioned.

I'm vaguely thinking that you bought the stuff from MFI at one place and went somewhere else to get it.

Dunno - fazy brain
Posted By: bert1 Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 6:10am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by bert1

Not too sure, I remember it was about the time that MFI took over Hygena, might be getting mixed up with the ex-cat shop that was mentioned.

I'm vaguely thinking that you bought the stuff from MFI at one place and went somewhere else to get it.

Dunno - fazy brain

Around the time Mfi where in Valley Rd, if you bought a large item off them like a full kitchen, you paid up front and about 6 weeks later it arrived in bits and bobs on the back of a British Rail wagon, or if you were lucky like me 2 kitchens arrived and no one came and got one back even after they were told. They did take over hygena and i think schreiber. At the premises in Bidston when you bought an item you had to drive your car down the side of the building to the store room to pick it up which seemed like going else where.
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 12:16pm
nice pixz dude i only live up the road from the kwiky
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 6:12pm
Right side backend has almost gone!
Posted By: Bandageman Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 6:56pm
Yes MFI was there before it moved to Bidson, but I can not remember what was there before Kwik Save
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 7:34pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
Right side backend has almost gone!

any pics sir?
Posted By: hoseman Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 7:39pm
Company pulling it down is Reddish demolition from manchester. Got one machine onsite at present, 20 tonner and due another one soon! Was in with the contractors organising repairs on their machines!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 7:50pm
best shot kid

Attached picture kwick.JPG
Posted By: hoseman Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 7:53pm
Ok, i lied, now they have two machines onsite!!!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 6th Mar 2009 8:01pm
yep kid deffo 2 mate!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 7th Mar 2009 4:19pm
Does anybody know where the pet shop is going? Used to get me fish from there-cheap! And me avon order!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 7th Mar 2009 4:31pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Used to get me fish from there-cheap!

Wasn't that Iceland? wink
Posted By: kimpri Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 7th Mar 2009 5:18pm
The lady that worked there lives across from me. ask her next time i see her if you want
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 7th Mar 2009 5:48pm
its moved to the row of shops by the side of the aldi
Posted By: kimpri Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 7th Mar 2009 6:57pm
mallaby st off laird st
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 7th Mar 2009 6:59pm
Thats the one !
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 7th Mar 2009 8:43pm
Aye happy moved to malleby street.. Its in the old Claughton Glass and Glazing shop smile "Petsave" happy
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 8th Mar 2009 11:35am
Here are some pics of the demolition so far. (8/3/09)

According to council plans the new Netto will be a brand new building: http://www.wirral.gov.uk/planning/registerlisting.asp

I will be setting up a web page soon documenting the demolition.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 8th Mar 2009 11:46am
Let's hope the new buildings include aesthetics in the design...the Kwik Save was truly ugly and utilitarian.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 8th Mar 2009 4:38pm
Right gang too more pix of the kwicksave demo!

Attached picture kwick 1.JPG
Attached picture kwick 2.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 8th Mar 2009 4:39pm
Brilliant pixs, thanks
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 14th Mar 2009 8:29pm
Hello

Here are some updated pics taken this week:

More can be found here:

birkonian.tripod.com

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 15th Mar 2009 11:38pm
New netto from scratch then? Seacombe netto just the kwiky shell done out
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 21st Mar 2009 12:31am
Hello

Here are some pics of the demolition from this week:

More pics at: birkonian.tripod.com

[Linked Image]

Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 23rd Mar 2009 7:10pm
kwick save pix

Attached picture 000000000001.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 23rd Mar 2009 7:17pm
Must be putting up a fight - thought this would be rubble in a couple of days - mind you they did reinforce it after the breakins through walls, roof etc.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 23rd Mar 2009 7:21pm
...once the local kids are let loose on it I doubt it'll be standing by the morning!!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 23rd Mar 2009 7:31pm
yep would not take the kid long?
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 24th Mar 2009 12:23am
Here are some pics from today (23 March)

This morning, the corrugated steel fascia on the building was hanging loose and was removed by around 8:30. I have it on video as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 24th Mar 2009 12:30am
cool shots dude nice 1 wink
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 24th Mar 2009 7:09am
nice one nortender!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Mar 2009 12:06am
wonder how much they'll get for all that scrap steel.. omg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Mar 2009 12:08am
wonder how much they'll get for all that scrap steel.. omg
Not a lot at the moment, nobody wants it.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Mar 2009 10:10am
I heard the prices were coming crashing down but this is ridiculous smile
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Mar 2009 6:16pm
took some pix this morning put them up soon! someone was out snapping aswell i got ya on wikicam mate! camera
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Mar 2009 6:18pm
Good pictured dude i hve to walk past there nealy every day to get th train to town happy
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Mar 2009 12:28am
Here are some pics from 26 March 09.

The last piece of the roof is now down and there is just the brickwork to demolish now. There is also some digging work in the car park.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Mar 2009 1:01am
yerr some pix smile

camera

Attached picture q-1.jpg
Attached picture 1.jpg
Attached picture q2.jpg
Attached picture q3.jpg
Attached picture q5.jpg
Attached picture q6.jpg
Attached picture q7.jpg
Attached picture yerr.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Mar 2009 1:06am
Have you done anything to that last piccy or is it just the way it turned out - certainly effective whichever.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Mar 2009 1:09am
night mode dude smile
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Mar 2009 1:10am
aaw bye bye kwiky
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Mar 2009 1:34am
I may have to go that way, simply to "acquire" some of the signs before they're thrown! Cool pictures.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 27th Mar 2009 7:58am
yerr nice pixs robbo mine up soon! so it was you northender spotted yestaday kid?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 28th Mar 2009 5:15pm
kwicksave is now flat as a pancake!
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 29th Mar 2009 1:32pm
Yes, there is just that building that looks like an electrical substation left standing.

Here are some pics from this morning. I was unable to get pics from some of the usual angles as there were skips parked in the way.

More pictures are on my website which now has a Kwik Save page: http://birkonian.tripod.com

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 29th Mar 2009 3:59pm
They are some awsome pictures dude happy
Posted By: peodude Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 2nd Apr 2009 11:07pm
It's kind of sad. I know it had to go, but it was a fairly iconic building in that area. Went there many a time with my Nan when she lived in the area.

I'm glad to see the blood tub still standing in the background, for now.
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Apr 2009 3:57pm
yeah thats going to be standing for a while now. Because it was surpossed of been the blood tube first but i think the kwick save got it first as it was quite a big store happy and as i used to go there every saturday or sunday with my mum shopping happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Apr 2009 6:14pm
how sad that this grotty little smack rat magnet had so many followers no
Glad to see the back of it, ooops, wait! Where are all the locals gonna get their bacon and coffee from now that the smackheads have nowhere to nick it from confused
Do all you kwik save worshippers not know that asda and tesco are much much cleaner stores and also cheaper?
Saying that i suppose the local bagheads ran an exellent door to door service from kwik save eh?
Once i went in that dive and i walked straight back out, friggin dirty skags at 1:30pm dressed in PAJAMAS??? Wtf? I`d rather not smell some dirty little hoar in crusty pajamas walkin round the food when i`m hungry thanks. sick
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Apr 2009 6:16pm
lol steee
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Apr 2009 8:15pm
I for one take offence at your derogatory statement
Like anywhere else there are good people and bad people
Personally I thought the Kwiksave/Iceland combined a good shop to buy from
We don't all have cars to go and shop miles away from where you live
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Apr 2009 10:43pm
Everybody is starting to come into WORK omg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 3rd Apr 2009 11:50pm
Everybody is starting to come into WORK omg

Exellent, all the more profit for your shop Lee, - more wages wink
Posted By: jimbob Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 4th Apr 2009 2:35pm
the North End Kwik was scruffy, in comparison to the ones in New Ferry and Prenton, tell me why.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 4th Apr 2009 5:29pm
If it was scruffy it must of been down to the cleaning contractors, I can't imagine the shoppers at New ferry and Prenton having a quick dust and a hoover as they went around. no
Posted By: jimbob Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 4th Apr 2009 8:39pm
your missing the point, as an example who leaves there rubish around the bins in the park {not the squirrals}
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 4th Apr 2009 8:46pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
your missing the point, as an example who leaves there rubish around the bins in the park {not the squirrals}
Dogs and pigeons? liar
Posted By: bert1 Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 4th Apr 2009 9:14pm
Originally Posted by jimbob

Well why didn't you say the area outside the kwik save, that then would be lack of funding by wirral borough council for the cleansing department.
Posted By: dingle Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 5th Apr 2009 10:04am
I've been looking for that bloody kitchen mad Now when do I get it back. confused
Posted By: bert1 Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 5th Apr 2009 11:04am
Originally Posted by mindplayer
I've been looking for that bloody kitchen mad Now when do I get it back. confused

So your the one that dropped the clanger, thank you very much.
Posted By: Northender Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 10th Apr 2009 11:47pm
I found this on the Globe website:

If the local scallies have their way, any new trees planted will end up as bonfire wood.
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/4061779.Shoots_of_recovery_in_Birkenhead_North/

Shoots of recovery in Birkenhead North
21st January 2009

By Justin Dunn »

RESIDENTS in North Birkenhead are set to enjoy spring in their very own open space.

Following on from the high level of refurbishment work in the Housing Market Renewal area of Triangles in Birkenhead, Ilchester Park has now been recognised as a public open space for the people of the area.

Fifty vibrant street trees which were planted last November are already taking root.

They are part of The Mersey Forest's Green Streets’ Programme for Merseyside funded by the European Regional Development Fund Objective One Programme, The Forestry Commission through the Northwest Regional Development Agency and United Utilities.

The trees will enhance recent improvements to the house frontages in Norman Street and Mallaby Street as part of the Housing Market Renewal Programme.

HMR will continue to invest in the environmental improvements by funding the future maintenance of the trees.

To mark the park being handed back to the community, and to celebrate the new tree plantings children at the local primary school, Portland Primary, are planting a tree in their school grounds.

Ben Greenaway from The Mersey Forest said: “This project has been incredibly successful as it brings nature back to an urban level.

“It’s great to see the trees starting to grow and I hope that the residents will enjoy the greenery around them which they may not have seen much of in their street before”

Cllr Harry Smith, for Bidston and St James ward, said: “Giving the residents of North Birkenhead a park of their own offers them another lifestyle option and opens the door to other opportunities.

“We are delighted to be handing the park back to the people of the area and we hope that they enjoy it as the spring arrives.”

Cllr George Davies, “cabinet” member for housing and community safety, said: “Housing Market Renewal is not just about building homes for people, it’s about people’s surroundings as well.

“We hope that by investing in the green space of an area it will go some way to contribute to the other work going on in North Birkenhead.”

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th May 2009 7:28pm
Work has started on the site again - it is completely dug over.

Attached picture KwikSave-IMG_0787s.JPG
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th May 2009 7:31pm
yerr d.d. nice pic kid!
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 29th May 2009 8:08am
Going to be a B&M.
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 29th May 2009 10:52am
Its not going to be a B&M its going to be iceland netto and B&M
Posted By: mark1970 Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Jun 2009 11:29pm
Does anyone remember when there was a furniture shop called "Status" there?
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 1st Jul 2009 10:27am
I can only remember back to the mid to late 80's so doubt it was there then....unless I am wrong smirk
Posted By: kezzbag Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 16th Aug 2009 11:41pm
I heard it was gonna be a netto, iceland and home and bargain. Know someone who went for the job as manageress for the home and bargain.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 31st Aug 2009 2:06pm
[Linked Image]

One welcome I don't want, that whole place is unbelievably grim.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 17th Sep 2009 4:55pm
Blood Tub/New Dock gone now unfortunately/fortunately.. (take yer pick on both!)

Weeds already growing on the site.....
Posted By: bigpete Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 17th Sep 2009 4:58pm
I remember that Kwikky being alright in the late 70's and early 80's when smackheadism and 'totting' from Biddy tip was rife.

Maybe the smackheads had more class back then even though there was a big heroin problem at the time - maybe they have it delivered to the door - so they just rob their ma and neighbours for the money...
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 2nd Oct 2009 5:38pm
update

Attached picture Kwiksave update 1 resized.jpg
Attached picture Kwiksave update 2 updated.jpg

Description: new playground in Ilchester Park
Attached picture Ilchester Park new playground resized.jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 2nd Oct 2009 7:25pm
Work seems to have been done quite quick.

Not very big though is it

Least its a bit of improvement for the area (and somewhere new to have Autowirral meets grin )
Posted By: davew3 Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 2nd Oct 2009 8:17pm
Ah yes the memories

Attached picture DSCF0001.JPG
Posted By: DavidB Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 1st Nov 2009 11:43am
^ haha.
When I started a job in Bootle, I drove past the 'Welcome To Bootle' sign, and underneath was a burnt out car, and next to it were two shagging dogs. They should make a red-brick (in tradition with every house being built now) cast of a burnt out car with two shagging dogs next to it as a symbol for the north end. I thought it was quite apt.
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Nov 2009 12:48pm
the new netto/iceland opens today in the north end. first 20 customers get special deals if i remember right.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Nov 2009 1:17pm
Originally Posted by Shadow_Omega
the new netto/iceland opens today in the north end. first 20 customers get special deals if i remember right.
Originally Posted by Shadow_Omega
twenty? Thats a bit crud!
Our netto opened the nite b4 so people could have a nose round and sample food+ drink. The day it opened there was offers for everyone.
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Nov 2009 2:06pm
that reminds me. i need to see if there is indeed a home and bargains in there.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Kwik Save - Birkenhead North End - 26th Nov 2009 2:30pm
Yer cant beat home & bargain, 20 toilet rolls for £2.99, and it passes the wipe test...BARGAIN!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral