Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Oldest house in Wallasey - 13th Jan 2009 8:56pm
Is this really Oldest house in Wallasey

Attached picture Oldest house in Wallasey.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 13th Jan 2009 10:57pm
It is indeed the oldest house though its age is a little confusing. A date plate that was on the door says either 1621 or 1691 (The "2" and "9" look similar). To confuse matters even more the "1" could also be a "7". so it could be 1627 or 1697.

I hope that was easy to follow!!

The house is actually called "Bird's House" and is named after the family that originally built it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 13th Jan 2009 11:08pm
Yeah, pretty amazing, i`ve always thought it was, must of been well built to still be here after all those years.

I wonder how much it would be to buy?
It`s not exactly the nicest of areas with the motorway and all the industrial works around it, how has it survived for so long? think

Imagine the sights it has seen over the years and it has survived 2 world wars and earthquakes storms ect!
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 13th Jan 2009 11:08pm
I have been led to believe that the original poulton vics was some sort of shed next to this place.Is that correct.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 13th Jan 2009 11:24pm
Originally Posted by dava2479
I have been led to believe that the original poulton vics was some sort of shed next to this place.Is that correct.

That would be interesting to find out, where the poulton vics is now used to be a whole street of houses i think?

(original scource: Wallasey pool thread)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 13th Jan 2009 11:27pm
I can't recall who originally posted this picture but it answers the question - The picture is taken looking from where the Penny Bridge is moreorless with St Lukes Church in the distance.

[Linked Image]

It was of course a line of houses where the Poulton Vics stands today
Posted By: Mark Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 14th Jan 2009 12:15am
Found it my picture from last year.

Attached picture Oldest-house-in-Wallasey.jpg
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 14th Jan 2009 12:35pm
i,v herd there is tunnels or a shelter under this house ?

any one got any ideas i might call there to see if i can get any info on the house
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 14th Jan 2009 1:14pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
I can't recall who originally posted this picture but it answers the question - The picture is taken looking from where the Penny Bridge is moreorless with St Lukes Church in the distance.

[Linked Image]

It was of course a line of houses where the Poulton Vics stands today

Any idea what sort of date that picture is? Its pre docks (Still tidal) - maybe even when Wallasey was still an island... think
Posted By: PhilH Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 14th Jan 2009 11:50pm
That old photo is a gem! The Poulton Vics was originally in Limekin Lane. I'll ask my dad who was a very early member of the club as to wether it was acually next to the oldest house.

Is there a date to that photo?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 15th Jan 2009 1:41pm
I would guess the photo dates about... 1870.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 15th Jan 2009 7:09pm
Is the house protected?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 15th Jan 2009 8:08pm
i`d imagine so smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 15th Jan 2009 8:44pm
I suspect, due to its age, it comes under English Heritage.

Which of course means the building will "catch fire" and have to be delmolished and the land sold by the local council to private developers.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oldest house in Wallasey - 21st Jan 2009 4:19pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

Which of course means the building will "catch fire" and have to be delmolished and the land sold by the local council to private developers.

withthat
© Wirral-Wikiwirral