Forums
Posted By: chriskay Bromborough Pool - 8th Jan 2009 4:40pm
Wasn't sure whether to tack this onto the Spital dam thread, but because it's an old/new comparison I thought I'd put it here.
The map is from about 1913 & I've made a couple of additions in red. The live Search view is for comparison. The main change is on the shoreline, which is quite different & shows that a lot of land has been reclaimed; notice how close the shoreline came to Price's Candle works. Incidentally, on the map, H.W.M.O.T. stands for High Water Mark,Ordinary Tides. The red square on the map is the site of the old Stone Quay which was the end of the Storeton Quarry Railway. You can see the tracks leading to it running along the front of Lever's & under the main line. The two tracks at the quay were lifted in 1906, so aren't on the map. It is known that at high tide, barges could tie up on three sides of the quay. Further upstream you can see the dock at Lever's, with a lock at its mouth. Boats of some size (or maybe they were lighters) woud unload cargoes of palm oil etc. here & take away the soap products. Note that the dock is still there today. The other thing I've marked in red is where the natural loop of the stream has been cut off, isolating the old stone quay. See also there was a boatyard & slipway opposite the candle works. There's a pale patch there today. What I don't know & maybe someone could find out is, what is the depth of the old channel at the bridge on New Chester Rd? All that would be needed is a weight on the end of a string; any volunteers? That height would obviously have governed the size of ship which could be used.
The present day view shows great detail in bird's eye view.
I'm sure you could find lots of other changes.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx
I don't know why I can't link to the view I want, but I guess you can easily navigate there from here, just zoom in on Bromborough Pool.

Attached picture Bromborough Pool sm.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Bromborough Pool - 8th Jan 2009 5:19pm
nice one
My ancestors came to work at Prices Candle Works about 1855
They came up from the factory in London
If your interested I could dig out some info I have of the housing and working conditions they worked under
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bromborough Pool - 8th Jan 2009 7:00pm
As I understand it, Price's created Bromborough Pool village for their workers about 40 years before Lever's built Port Sunlight. Interesting that you have a family connection. There's an information board in the village, close to the old works.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bromborough Pool - 8th Jan 2009 8:28pm
Pages from Perambulation of the Hundred of Wirral 1909, Bromborough Pool

Attached picture bp1.jpg
Attached picture bp2.jpg
Attached picture bp3.jpg
Attached picture bp4.jpg
Attached picture bp5.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bromborough Pool - 8th Jan 2009 8:31pm
bromborough pool cont

Attached picture bp6.jpg
Attached picture bpp1.jpg
Attached picture bpp2.jpg
Posted By: Wheels Re: Bromborough Pool - 8th Jan 2009 8:42pm
Brilliant

I spent my childhood at Bromborough Pool primary school and grew up on the village eventually getting a house there when I was 18/19 years old. I love seeing old photos of the place.

thanks
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Bromborough Pool - 8th Oct 2011 3:36pm
Went there last year with DD.
Knocked on a door and asked if I could look at the size of the rooms of one of the houses in York Street.
Only sorry I wasn't cheeky enough to take some photos when inside.
My great,great,great grandmother used a room of no5 York Street
as a classroom

Attached picture brom pool .jpg
Posted By: SUExx Re: Bromborough Pool - 8th Oct 2011 3:44pm
any more photos of the court house
Posted By: danhamill Re: Bromborough Pool - 13th Oct 2011 1:04am
my first job out of school was a trainee at Prices in 59, the dock which was separated from Prices, used to be able to handle russian tankers that delivered sperm whale oil. This was processed at Prices and at one time was in ingredient in lipstick.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Bromborough Pool - 27th Apr 2012 7:07am
Found some pictures of Bromborough Pool Village - no idea where they came from, but the York Street one might interest derekdwc?

I'm guessing the date is about mid-50s.

Description: The lodge at the factory enetrance
Attached picture lodge.jpg

Description: Village Shop, York Street
Attached picture yorkst.jpg
Posted By: Tatey Re: Bromborough Pool - 27th Apr 2012 8:00am
I had a bimble round the village the other day. Great place & the first time I have ever been there.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Bromborough Pool - 27th Apr 2012 9:32am
Originally Posted by SUExx
any more photos of the court house

Where exactly was the court house situated, whats there now.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bromborough Pool - 27th Apr 2012 10:30am
Here's the 1912 OS map and the current view. On the old map, I think it's the building marked 'x' so on the current view it's in the woods above where it says 'Wirral International Business Park'.
http://binged.it/IwsjtT

Attached picture Bromborough Pool.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral