Forums
Posted By: Mark 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 29th Dec 2008 1:01pm
[Linked Image]

The Following Book was lent to us by "Snodvan"
which was very much appreciated.

The Book has been scanned into a PDF (Adobe Reader) Format.
You can read this books contents by clicking on the links.
With over 180 pages of fascinating information.

Its a Great Book with some weird and wonderful visions for the future.
Hexagonal Housing ??
Some amazing pictures etc.
  1. Click Me
  2. Click Me
  3. Click Me
  4. Click Me
  5. Click Me
  6. Click Me
  7. Click Me
  8. Click Me
  9. Click Me
  10. Click Me
  11. Click Me
  12. Click Me
  13. Click Me
  14. Click Me
  15. Click Me

To Save the attachment just use File Save as in your Adobe Reader smile
Enjoy thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 29th Dec 2008 2:20pm
excellent i will have a read of that later. coffee

thanks for Sharing Snodvan thumbsup
Posted By: SoundLad Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 31st Dec 2008 12:40pm
fantastic book thanks for sharing snod happy
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 31st Dec 2008 5:17pm
Thanks to snod and Mark - that is a lot of effort!
Posted By: chriskay Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 31st Dec 2008 11:10pm
Great book. I took the easy way out & bought a copy.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 30th Mar 2010 12:00pm
worth looking at
I must start trawling through some of earlier posts for interesting topics instead of just looking at current posts
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 30th Mar 2010 1:30pm
Thank you guys. Very interesting looking at Post War planning.
Posted By: jimbob Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 30th Mar 2010 9:15pm
Very good, thanks for all the effort. There are quite a few of us who where youngsters in those days and have seen the changes taking place and watched as places of interest disapeared in the rubble, {all in the name of progress?}
Posted By: Capt_America Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 30th Mar 2010 9:29pm
Thanks for posting, very interesting.
Posted By: chris58 Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 2nd Apr 2010 4:07pm
Fantastic have saved it so I can have a good read.
Thanks
Posted By: camaroz Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 2nd Apr 2010 4:14pm
Great work.

Downloaded and saved on my notebook for reading while corrie is on....
Posted By: Neil_c Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 6th Jun 2010 3:44pm
In may 1949 came the official opening of the Woodcrhuch Estate whose planning had caused a controversy that attracted national publicity.

Whilst the war was still waging in 1944, the battle of the plans began. The Borough engineer and surveyor, Mr B, Robinson had drawn up a plan which was strongly critcized by Prof. Charles Reilly, then engaged in drawning up the town's post war development plan.

Reilly's view was that the people would not be happy with Robinson's proposed estate and drew up (without a fee) a plan, the essence of which was neighbourly living in the traditional English way. Reilly's plan received considerable support at a town meeting but it was Robinson's that was the one which was approved by the Council and forwarded to the Ministy of Health.

The controversy did not end there and a third plan came on the scene, that of Herbert Rowse and this was the plan that was eventually adopted. Rowse withdrew when only part of the estate had been built and the Borough Architect, Mr T.A. Brittain was responsible for the completion of the rest of the estate.

The Mount estate had 502 dwellings and there are 385 on the Overchurch estate on the outskirts of the town and 530 with a shopping centre at Prenton Dell. 2057 dwelling had been completed on the Ford at the end of 1973 and Noctrum Estate had 793 dwellings occupied.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 6th Jun 2010 3:57pm
Estate pictures

Description: Dock cottages built before 1850, they provided generous living accomodation for dock employees
Attached picture dock_cottages.jpg

Description: Gilbrook estate, proposed in 1917. Due to the war it remained only a dream. Note the generous allowance for gardens.
Attached picture gillbrook.jpg

Description: Ford Estate 1973
Attached picture ford.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 7th Jun 2010 11:13am
Originally Posted by Neil_c

The controversy did not end there and a third plan came on the scene, that of Herbert Rowse and this was the plan that was eventually adopted.

Herbert Rowse was, of course, the architect of the Queensway tunnel and its associated ventilation buildings (which I think are beautiful). Also, of the Philharmonic Hall.
I lived very close to the Mount Estate & watched it being built, replaacing the allotments which were there during the war.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 7th Jun 2010 12:29pm
Aye. he sure was. Did you see my pics of the Philharmonic? I've been trying to get some pics of the Dell before development. They have a few good pics in the Saddle club between the bar and the function room.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: 1947 - Ouline Plan of Birkenhead - 24th Jun 2020 9:42am
Very interesting read.
Looking at the ideas of post war planning is an eye opener. For example, the Corporation buying the large properties around Bidston Hill and turning them into maisonettes and building extra properties in their large gardens, and the same for the properties around Birkenhead park. There would have been stern opposition from the owners of the said properties.
I also liked the idea of a tunnel from Birkenhead to Wallasey under the docks bypassing the bridges which were being used on a regular basis due to the busy dock system. Another good idea was building a byass from the Birkenhead tunnel to Price St using the existing railway cutting and coming out on a roundabout by the Stork Price St.
There are many other gems in there, and some bad ones as well. smile Fascinating indeed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral