Forums
Posted By: Morseman Beer - 24th Oct 2008 2:15pm
How many remember Bents beer? It was horrible. sick Higsons bitter was very much an aquired taste as well.

Walkers Warrington Ales.
Birkenhead Brewery
Threlfalls.
Bass (still going in some places).
Double Diamond.
Whitbreads Poacher and Forest Brown.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Beer - 24th Oct 2008 3:25pm
When I lived in Prenton, my local was the Swan Hotel. I think that was Bents. The bitter was bilge water with a dash of carbolic! That's why I stuck to bottled Guinness!

Threllies was quite decent stuff, but draught Bass was pure nectar. The Slaughterhouse (back of Castle St. L'pool) was the shrine of Bass drinkers. A close 2nd was The Hole in the Wall off Dale St. "Gentlemen Only" said the sign over the door. Many an innocent (?) female was shown the door ! That was in the days of a liquid lunch.

Tetley's Bitter another favourite. Is that still on the go ??

Morseman - you've certainly got the knack of poking the memory cells with a big stick. Great stuff Sir !!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Beer - 24th Oct 2008 7:55pm
tobby light in the queens on conway street!
Posted By: Wench Re: Beer - 24th Oct 2008 9:20pm
Black Sheep is still my favourite. I used to live just down the "road" from the brewery and all the bitter in the pub I lived in was either Black Sheep or Theakstons *yummy*

Old Peculiar Pie was a firm favourite on the menu.

We used to call Riggwelter "right w@nker" as that's what people turned into after 3 or 4 pints of it raftl

Here's a picture just for you Pinzgauer wink

Description: The Hole In The Wall
Attached picture HMSIllustrious039.jpg
Posted By: Morseman Re: Beer - 24th Oct 2008 10:39pm
Isn't black sheep a Yorkshire beer? Tried one in Sheffield when we went to see our son graduate. Thought is was rubbish but had a bottle of it bought here and thought it was okay. Bad pint maybe?
Posted By: Wench Re: Beer - 24th Oct 2008 10:51pm
It is indeed Morseman smile Never a bad pint in my old pub - cleanest lines in all of Yorkshire raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Beer - 25th Oct 2008 8:44am
Thanks PJ. Good to see it's still going.
Posted By: Colgo Re: Beer - 25th Oct 2008 9:32am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Threllies was quite decent stuff, but draught Bass was pure nectar.

Draught Bass, excellent stuff, bit windy next day though not nice in a small office raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Beer - 25th Oct 2008 10:40am
Apart from a large dollop of Baked Beans, draught Bass "products" were a pretty effective room clearer !!!!

A pint of Tetley's in "Rigby's" (in Dale St. just a few staggers from the "Hole") was quite a pleasing refreshment at lunchtime too.
Posted By: Morseman Re: Beer - 25th Oct 2008 10:57am
Originally Posted by PaganJay
It is indeed Morseman smile Never a bad pint in my old pub - cleanest lines in all of Yorkshire raftl

Come to think of it, the pub was in the heart of student land so they don't care what they drink.

I quite like Bass but you drink too much you get a nasty headache etc.

Railway in New Brighton used to be a Bass house. Possibly you can still get it on draught at the Magazines?

Another one I didn't like but haven't seen around here is Vaux. Seems to be mainly in the North East. Maybe it has improved since the seventies? Also used to prefer Newcastle Amber to Newcastle Brown but you don't see much of that either. Brown used to give me a very sore head and I'm not talking prime ministers either. smile
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Beer - 25th Oct 2008 12:56pm
I see Newcastle Brown everywhere I go....not the Amber though.

Im a bit disappointed to see that Caines has started to bow out quietly. In the 3 Staggs, it was on Tap.. but over the summer it was removed (When Caines reduced production). No idea if its back yet. Anyone any ideas ??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Beer - 25th Oct 2008 1:17pm
If you really fancy a good beer then pop along to the Ship & Mytre on the top of Dale St (Liverpool) and order yourself an Erdinger dark. Very strong and very very nice!

Even comes in a flower vase! cool
Posted By: Morseman Re: Beer - 26th Oct 2008 10:27am
Read the review. Talk about pretentious. Warming spices, hint of liquorice, gently tart fruit! As bad as wine buffs! I'm happy if I like the taste and it gets me drunk if I want to. laugh

Erdinger Dunkel

Abv: 5.6%
Type: Wheat Beer
Style: Dark wheat beer
Bottle size: 500ml
Brewery : Erdinger Weissbrau
Price:
Reviewed in: Beers of the World Issue 1

Tasted by Jeff Evans in issue 1.
Nose : Delightfully spicy. Subtle fruit over a smooth base of treacle toffee.
Palate : Interesting and complex. Light, sweet, malty base overlaid with warming spices, almonds and gently tart fruit.
Finish : Nutty, chocolatey malt. A little spicy warmth and a hint of liquorice. Softly bitter, drying and chalky.
Comments : Delicious, easy to drink and perfectly balanced. Teasingly understated in the finish, which makes it very moreish.
Score : 9

© Wirral-Wikiwirral