Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Rock Ferry - 22nd Oct 2008 5:27pm
Here are two pictures of Rock Ferry Pier (looking backwards) and Rock Ferry New Chester Road. I am wild guessing they are about 1910, the Pier building has a rounded "cap" on the clock tower, other pictures I have seen (normally taken from the inland side) show a squarer "cap".

Description: Rock Ferry Pier
Attached picture RockFerryPierBack0001s.JPG

Description: Rock Ferry - New Chester Road
Attached picture RockFerryNewChesterRoad0001s.JPG
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Rock Ferry - 22nd Oct 2008 5:47pm
Great old photo`s.I knew Rock Ferry had a pier but i`ve never seen a picture of it. Nice one.
Posted By: chiccy Re: Rock Ferry - 22nd Oct 2008 8:36pm
were about on new chester rd is the 2nd pic x
Posted By: FreckledHen Re: Rock Ferry - 23rd Oct 2008 4:01pm
Is the picture taken looking in the direction of Birkenhead ?
Posted By: FreckledHen Re: Rock Ferry - 23rd Oct 2008 4:14pm
I have it from someone who remembers that there was a ferry boat that used to travel between Rock Ferry Pier and Liverpool until the bus route from Rock Ferry to Woodside became more popular and put it out of service. There were also ferry boats that visited Eastham ,Seacombe, New Brighton and Woodside from Liverpool.
Posted By: Rredd Re: Rock Ferry - 4th Nov 2008 6:32pm
Was this pier where the old houses back onto the mersey, is it Rock park? I am sure there is an old rotting structure still there that could of once been the pier.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry - 4th Nov 2008 7:59pm
Rock Ferry Pier was at the same location as what is know the remains of the Rock Ferry Oil Terminal. This map is from 1911.

Description: Rock Ferry Pier and Slipway 1911
Attached picture Rock-Ferry-1911.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry - 4th Nov 2008 8:21pm
I stand corrected - Rock Ferry Oil terminal IS part of Rock Ferry Pier - see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Ferry
Posted By: Rredd Re: Rock Ferry - 6th Nov 2008 9:57pm
It is where I thought it was, with the lovely big old houses to the side that lead down to Rock Park. Wonder how much they go for, little diamonds surrounded by sh***. If you walk down towards the gated exit and towards the small beach there is what is signed as a private walkway in front of about 8 houses. Must of been part of a promenade at one point, but it is now all closed off after about 40 foot. I spent a lot of time down there as a child, hey did anyone know my uncle Norman??
Posted By: moose Re: Rock Ferry - 19th Jan 2009 8:20pm
Nice pic of New Chester Road.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Rock Ferry - 19th Jan 2009 8:24pm
it is a nice pic mate!
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Rock Ferry - 19th Jan 2009 8:27pm
you can still get down the prom, and even cycle it if your carefull. the bars where broken enough or you can ride on from the north end.

Are there some underground medical war facilities around this area i recall.

ta

pace
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Rock Ferry - 19th Jan 2009 8:51pm
use to take the dog down there all the time very muddy! one time you could get to the pier dont know if you still can? have not been down there for years kid!
Posted By: jimbob Re: Rock Ferry - 19th Jan 2009 10:33pm
a photo of Rock Ferry pier looking out onto the river. this photo will be part of a new thread once i have gathered all the facts to go along with a lot of photo's {patients is a vertue}

Attached picture 000_0022_edited-1.jpg
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Rock Ferry - 14th Apr 2009 7:39pm
I think the picture of New Chester Road was taken on the junction of Bedford Road/New Chester Road Rockferry looking up towards Newferry as I am sure the building marked Parrs is still there.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Rock Ferry - 14th Apr 2009 7:42pm
Anybody got any information on Rock House on Rock Lane East?? a grand old house that used to give me the creeps when I was a kid! it was like something from the Addams family.
Posted By: yoller Re: Rock Ferry - 16th Apr 2009 9:01pm
Talking of Rock Park, it really was once a very exclusive place, especially before Rock Ferry bypass was sliced through it. In the early Sixties, when as kids we went there on our bikes, there was a small lodge at the entrance where an old lady would charge you 2d (two old pence) to let you in and you could ride around, goggling at all the posh houses. Does anyone remember paying this toll?
Posted By: jimbob Re: Rock Ferry - 16th Apr 2009 9:09pm
you where lucky to get in, when i was a lad {late 40s early 50s} we use to get chased, there was a big black wooden gate and the lodge keeper would never open it to let us in on are bikes. Always told us to bugger off as all we where doing was causing trouble.this was at the Rockferry end of the park.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Rock Ferry - 28th Apr 2009 10:38am

The refreshment rooms on Bedford Road by Rock Ferry pier.
The top picture is from 1882, the bottom one shows it today,
the derelict Admiral pub. How much longer will it survive?

Attached picture rockferry91.jpg
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Rock Ferry - 28th Apr 2009 10:54am

Rock Ferry Esplanade
Top picture shows it in 1873,
Bottom picture shows it today.

Attached picture rockferry92.jpg
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Rock Ferry - 28th Apr 2009 2:03pm
It's a shame looking at how things have just gone to pot. I never knew the 'Addie' had been there for so long or that it was refreshment rooms.You learn something new everyday! yipee
Posted By: firemanlee Re: Rock Ferry - 8th Sep 2009 8:43pm
Originally Posted by Summer01
yes this is the peir i go for a walk in the summertime i think it is a shame the way the council has let things go to pot because its a pleasant walk and the houses are massive as well
Originally Posted by ChrisNewcastle
Anybody got any information on Rock House on Rock Lane East?? a grand old house that used to give me the creeps when I was a kid! it was like something from the Addams family.
rock house is still a very grand family home and is being well maintained .it makes me sad to walk there now as it has for sale on alot of propertys.i saw the convent has been boarded up does anyone know what the future holds for it?better still past and present piccis please

Ive recently been on the pier , putting it out basically , and it is in pretty poor shape timbers missing etc theres only the saling club still there the pub has been closed a while too .
Posted By: kaycee Re: Rock Ferry - 28th Feb 2010 4:23pm
I think Bedford Rd is on the left and the view is towards Birkenhead
Posted By: Teutonicus Re: Rock Ferry - 14th Mar 2010 8:20am
Originally Posted by FreckledHen
I have it from someone who remembers that there was a ferry boat that used to travel between Rock Ferry Pier and Liverpool until the bus route from Rock Ferry to Woodside became more popular and put it out of service. There were also ferry boats that visited Eastham ,Seacombe, New Brighton and Woodside from Liverpool.

At least up until 1979, the old wrought iron "destination board", where the ferry hand turned by hand using a pole just before tying the ferry up, had Rock ferry, Eastham, New Brighton, Wood side and saaecombe still on it.

Of course then, only Seacombe and Woodside were ever used.
Posted By: Teutonicus Re: Rock Ferry - 14th Mar 2010 8:21am
I think I missed the "notification button".

I will get used tothese new fangled adding machines one day. IF they ever catch on.
Posted By: Teutonicus Re: Rock Ferry - 14th Mar 2010 8:27am
Oh. and are the high level gang ways still at the ferrys, those with the steps up to them from the days when the ferrys were so full they exited, and boarded on the top deck as well?
Posted By: nettie Re: Rock Ferry - 26th May 2010 8:55pm
i live on the woodward rd estate does anyone know what was here before this was built thanks
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry - 27th May 2010 10:32am
It was a Park/Plantation which became a recreation ground that gradually shrank to the remaining playing field on Knowsley Road.

The exception to this is the Woodin Road area which looks like it was a claypit.

Posted By: nettie Re: Rock Ferry - 27th May 2010 7:35pm
thanks for that if u have anymore info on the estate i would love to know
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Rock Ferry - 4th Jun 2010 11:37am
Originally Posted by jimbob
a photo of Rock Ferry pier looking out onto the river. this photo will be part of a new thread once i have gathered all the facts to go along with a lot of photo's {patients is a vertue}

Just a small point, but the photo in the book is actually of New Ferry Pier, not Rock Ferry. Oops!
Posted By: Teutonicus Re: Rock Ferry - 4th Jun 2010 11:59am
And patients are what you find in hospitals. And it is a "virtue".

At a guess, I would say you went to Mosslands school?
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Rock Ferry - 4th Jun 2010 12:27pm
I most certainly did not, but maybe jimbob did...
Posted By: Teutonicus Re: Rock Ferry - 4th Jun 2010 1:06pm
Sorry Marty. Jimbob is who I meant.
I was unfortunate enough to be interned in Mosslands, myself.

Pettit, Margettes (sp? maybe Margates??), Williams... One of the many Williams'ssss there, Charlie Gobbo, and the wee fat bleached blonde arsehole, who was a maths teacher...Julia Hall??

Her Husband was a barrister, and I took GREAT delight in breathalysing the cow about three years after leaving.
Posted By: Longnails Re: Rock Ferry - 30th Jun 2010 7:19pm
I too remember Rock Ferry Esplanade.
My Mother and her Sister used to take all of us there after tea at least once a week. There was seven of us and we'd all walk along talking and playing.
On our way home and if we'd been good, we'd go to the Pink Elephant Shop on New Chester Road and we were allowed an ice-cream; they were very happy days.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral