Forums
Posted By: oxtonmac cammell laird 1998 - 14th Aug 2008 11:25pm
Dunno if this is the right place (please move if not)

Couple of pics from when I worked there taken on an early phonecam 1998-9

RFA SIR Geraint L3027 in the basin at Lairds .
She served in the falklands war

[Linked Image]

Aft end of the "Peregrine V111" showing the massive twin screws and rudders
Some may remember the large drilling derrick that use to be seen over the Wirral skyline .
this was later renamed "deepwater navigator"

[Linked Image]

The "blue sky" a survey vessel. renamed "moondancer" (I think)

[Linked Image]

The "construction hall" a couple of years ago before the bays were demolished (on the right )

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: cammell laird 1998 - 15th Aug 2008 12:00am
excellent pics dude happy

Some useless info about the RFA Sir Galahad that you took the pic of was the second version of the ship as the first version was fatally attacked by Argentinean bombs in the waters off the Falkland Islands and never repaird.

The Rfa lost a few ships in the falklands war and the main reason to the loss of the first version of the sir galahad was due to the welsh guards and in charge of plattoon on board was a guy called simon western who was badly burnt and face disfigured druing the Sir Galahad Attack.

Due to the welsh guards did not want to walk miles to shore the sir galahad was orderd to drop the plattoon off as close as the captian could get them to the island and in the process off carrying out this order the Argentinean Air force lauched two fighter jets and let bombs loose subsquently hitting the sir galahad and the sir tristram also fatlly crippling and sinking the HMS Sheffeild .

Description: RFA Sir Galahad
Attached picture sir galahad.jpg

Description: RFA Sir tristram
Attached picture sir tristram.jpg

Description: HMS Sheffeild
Attached picture hms sheffield.jpg
Posted By: BrightSpark Re: cammell laird 1998 - 15th Aug 2008 7:14pm
good info on the Sir Gallahad Scott, the pic is of the
Sir "GERAINT"
it was scrapped in 2005

raftl

Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: cammell laird 1998 - 15th Aug 2008 10:48pm
my fault miss read it raftl
Posted By: MrPhil Re: cammell laird 1998 - 15th Aug 2008 11:39pm
Bright spark are you related to oxtonmac as i see both your pics on photobucket????

Gootd pics, i maybe able to get some recent one's next week as their is some work happening in their. Quite a few heavy genarators and cherry pickers etc. will update tuesday.
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: cammell laird 1998 - 16th Aug 2008 2:09pm
Erm? this is the "old fella" he started all this retro let's do some cars up . omg
Posted By: Wench Cammell Lairds - 1st Sep 2008 9:08pm
I think this is the correct place for this, if not can the powers that be move it happy

I found this site whilst looking at stuff about St James's Cemetery. It has some fantastic pictures of Lairds from last century. I can't upload the pictures as it won't let me save them so thought I'd post the link instead.

Sorry if you all have seen these, but I've looked through some posts about Lairds and so far not found these.

Enjoy!

http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/trolleyed/8/32/cammell-thumbnails(1).html
Posted By: Mark Re: cammell laird 1998 - 1st Sep 2008 11:29pm
Little under cover work before the recent new contracts

click me
Posted By: chriskay Re: Cammell Lairds - 2nd Sep 2008 7:34am
Originally Posted by PaganJay

Can't make that link work; I'm getting "Page not found"
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Cammell Lairds - 2nd Sep 2008 1:57pm
Fine for me. On another note, as some of you are aware I work in a supermarket and one of the duties I do is to make sure that the recycling bins aren't overflowing and to generally keep them tidy. Anyway one of the things I found was a bundle of old papers in there and they turned out to be a rather large pile of old Ordnance Survey maps, seemingly from a 30's-60's era, a lot of them are Liverpool but some are of the Wirral with one or two in Birkenhead and, if I'm not mistaken, there's one with Cammell Laird's in the 50's I think. I'll try and get a scan or, at the very least, a photo; they're A1 size (real old developers' rolls, I kept them myself if you didn't tell!) so it's a bit awkward to open, never mind get an image of but the sheer network of railway lines at the riverside is astounding in itself.
Posted By: Wench Re: Cammell Lairds - 2nd Sep 2008 2:08pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

Can't make that link work; I'm getting "Page not found"

It seems to work if your new window is on smaller as opposed to full screen size if that makes sense.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Cammell Lairds - 2nd Sep 2008 3:01pm
Thanks, it's working now. A fine collection of pics. there.
Posted By: Wench Re: Cammell Lairds - 2nd Sep 2008 3:06pm
You're welcome happy
Posted By: Wench Re: Cammell Lairds - 4th Nov 2008 10:47pm
Royal Fleet Auxillary Bayleaf (A109) sailed up the Mersey this afternoon. RFA Bayleaf was built by Cammell Laird, being launched in 1981. She was accepted into service in 1982.

The pictures were not taken by myself, mine are on my mobile and I can't upload them. They can be found at http://pbrstreetgangsrandomstuff.blogspot.com/2008/11/rfa-bayleaf-fleet-support-tanker.html - (I tried to contact the photographer but there was no option, so easiest thing was to give him credit via link in case he's on here [thank you if you are])

Attached picture bayleaf 1.jpg
Attached picture bayleaf 2.jpg
Attached picture bayleaf 4.jpg
Attached picture bayleaf 3.jpg
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Cammell Lairds - 5th Nov 2008 1:31am
nice to see the ship again i worked on this when i was 19 .

Claim to fame is I welded the outline of the name on the back before the black infill was added .

Must go down and take a look tomorrow
Posted By: Morseman Re: cammell laird 1998 - 5th Nov 2008 10:22am
Originally Posted by Mondeo_Scott
excellent pics dude happy

Some useless info about the RFA Sir Galahad that you took the pic of was the second version of the ship as the first version was fatally attacked by Argentinean bombs in the waters off the Falkland Islands and never repaird.

The Rfa lost a few ships in the falklands war and the main reason to the loss of the first version of the sir galahad was due to the welsh guards and in charge of plattoon on board was a guy called simon western who was badly burnt and face disfigured druing the Sir Galahad Attack.

Due to the welsh guards did not want to walk miles to shore the sir galahad was orderd to drop the plattoon off as close as the captian could get them to the island and in the process off carrying out this order the Argentinean Air force lauched two fighter jets and let bombs loose subsquently hitting the sir galahad and the sir tristram also fatlly crippling and sinking the HMS Sheffeild .

Sorry my mate, can't let this go without corrections. Simon Weston was a private in the Welsh guards, not in command of anything. It was nothing to do with the Welsh guards not wanting to walk. They are in the army and do what they are told but the main reason was to try and save the time it would take for them to walk/march.

The troops were left on the vessel even though a Major of the Royal Marines was telling the officer commanding that they should get them off immediately. This was ignored with tragic consequences.

Despite the loss of life and terrible injuries, no one was brought to account for this.

HMS Sheffield was the first ship to be hit and sunk in the Falklands war but was not involved in the same incident that overtook the Sir Galahad as she had been sunk by then.
Posted By: Wench Re: Cammell Lairds - 5th Nov 2008 1:00pm
Glad to have let you know then Oxtonmac. There are a few more due in I believe. I know HMS Liverpool is due around the 19th - 23rd of the month. I'm sure I read somewhere that quite a few are turning up for a celebration of some kind, just can't remember what and where I saw said information. I will have a nose back and see what I can find.
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Cammell Lairds - 8th Nov 2008 11:10pm
great stuff its nice to see a bit of your own history last time i saw the D92 it was sliding down the slipway

done 8 yrs there from 78-86 .

being nostalgic they were some of the best times of my early working life, although I did hate the winter .... It was blo*dy freezing
Posted By: Wench Re: Cammell Lairds - 9th Nov 2008 12:34pm
I have a passion for all things Naval. It is great to see them come home. Just a shame they don't all allow you onboard. I'm just a closet geek I think raftl
Posted By: Morseman Re: Cammell Lairds - 9th Nov 2008 12:49pm
I have a passion for all things Naval. It is great to see them come home. Just a shame they don't all allow you onboard. I'm just a closet geek I think raftl

Strange that, I was just visiting my sisters and her grandson is in the navy. Currently they are in the gulf and when they come home, his father is flying out to Gibraltar to meet the ship and can come home on it with his son. I've never heard of anything like that before, such as allowing civvies to sail unless it has been a trip around the bay or something.

The modern navy eh?
Posted By: Wench Re: Cammell Lairds - 9th Nov 2008 1:32pm
Originally Posted by Morseman

Strange that, I was just visiting my sisters and her grandson is in the navy. Currently they are in the gulf and when they come home, his father is flying out to Gibraltar to meet the ship and can come home on it with his son. I've never heard of anything like that before, such as allowing civvies to sail unless it has been a trip around the bay or something.

The modern navy eh?

Does he need a mad Aunt?? Every family needs a Mad Aunt!! I could be his and then I could fly to Gib and sail back too - I don't mind adopting raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral