Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper St Luke's Church Poulton - 23rd Jul 2008 9:31am
They have plans to knock down this fantastic 1907 red brick church and to replace it on the excuse to save £40,000 in maintenance over the next 15 years - at a cost of £400,000 to replace it.

http://www.stlukes.force9.co.uk/

So here is a futuristic Now and Then

Attached picture StLukesOld.gif
Attached picture StLukesNew1.jpg
Attached picture StLukesNew2.jpg
Posted By: Sanchez Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 23rd Jul 2008 9:36am
yer, out with the old, in with the new, thats what i say !
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 23rd Jul 2008 4:44pm
They getting rid of both?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 23rd Jul 2008 5:15pm
Get some decent pictures of it incase theres an "accidental" fire or it just gets knocked down
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 23rd Jul 2008 5:19pm
I've got a couple somewhere, holdy on a momento.

Hmm, never mind, it's the thing next to it but still perhaps worth a look.

Attached picture Resized PICT1298.jpg
Attached picture Resized PICT1299.jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 23rd Jul 2008 5:22pm
Yeah, can definately see there being a fire there and it has to be knocked down for safety reasons. no

If it's not being used for anything though, as Sanchez said, out with the old and in with the new.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 4th Aug 2008 3:46pm
Took some Photos the other day - Church looks in really good condition other than needing a bit of pointing near ground level. The Manorial hall looks in goo structural condition. There is quite a bit of scrap land at the back of the property that seems to belong to the church.

Attached picture StLukes1.JPG
Attached picture StLukes2.JPG
Attached picture StLukes3.JPG
Attached picture StLukes4.JPG
Attached picture StLukes5.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 4th Aug 2008 3:47pm
And more

Attached picture StLukes6.JPG
Attached picture StLukes7.JPG
Attached picture StLukes8.JPG
Attached picture StLukes9.JPG
Attached picture StLukes10.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 4th Aug 2008 3:48pm
And more again

Attached picture StLukes11.JPG
Attached picture StLukes12.JPG
Attached picture StLukes13.JPG
Attached picture StLukes14.JPG
Attached picture StLukes15.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 4th Aug 2008 3:50pm
And lastly (btw sorry to all the photography wizards - I point and shoot - it's always the camera's fault that way).

Attached picture StLukes16.JPG
Attached picture StLukes17.JPG
Attached picture StLukes18.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 4th Aug 2008 3:53pm
good photos bud wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 4th Aug 2008 4:27pm
very good, the gardener is there every week wink
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 4th Aug 2008 5:17pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
it's always the camera's fault.

a bad workman always blames his tools raftl

and on a serious note now there great photos well done dude yomama
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 28th Sep 2010 1:30pm
Can't a Church be a Listed Building? If only for the fabulous brick-work!???
Posted By: LindaH Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 30th Sep 2010 7:27am
Wow, fantastic photo's, they are still using it arn't they?
It does seem a shame to knock it down for something more modern, just a pity as it looks impressive.
Posted By: pete360 Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 7th Mar 2011 8:02pm
I was christned there, my sister was married there, every year my school carol service was there..... They cant knock it down...
Posted By: MissGuided Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 7th Mar 2011 8:38pm
You tell em' Pete! mad
Posted By: Greenwood Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 5th Jun 2011 9:37pm
I suppose in these days of dwindling congregations, it's a struggle finding money for upkeep of these old structures. It'd be a crying shame if it went - pity they couldn't find a way to make it more 'user-friendly' by making internal alterations or something. I think it looks fascinating, so many angles and levels - a lovely building. The quirky little spire (replaced after the original was lost to bomb damage I believe)gives it a certain quaintness.

The parish hall next door is apparently unsafe for some reason, and can't be used. Pity they couldn't come to some compromise solution and sell that part of the site, and put the income into preserving the red brick church. Ah well, a girl can dream!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 5th Jun 2011 9:44pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
it's a struggle finding money for upkeep of these old structures

Yeah, but they can find £400,000 for a new church and yet can't find £40,000 for maintenance for the old church which would cover the next 15 years! Where would the maintenance money for the new church come from???
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 6th Mar 2012 12:40am
Well it looks like there is a lot of legal wrangling going on.

I don't know why they don't close and sell of the hall and its land and use the proceeds to maintain the church. I'm sure they'd raise more than £40,000 to cover the cost of maintenance for the next 15 years.

Well p*ssed off with this whole affair.

CLICKY
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 6th Mar 2012 11:13am
think its criminal we are losing all our heritage and landmarks across the wirral too greedy developers and businessmen ...

i think its a fabulous looking church in its dominating position on the hill,and can actually be seen from further across the wirral ,distinctive by its roof and eyecatching bricks

older buildings are so much more pleasurable on the eye than these modern carbunkels.
think it should be saved myself ,but as we all know it will probably be pulled anyway
Posted By: granny Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 7th Mar 2012 9:56pm
No doubt if a building is not being used and has not been used to any great degree over a number of years, it must at some point, come under review. The maintenance and heating of the building alone, must be high cost for no good reason if the congregation is minimal. Also the cost of employing a Vicar and others besides must be a contributary factor. When the Diocese make their decissions many factors must come into play including statistics and in present times when people do not attend services in the same way, for whatever reason, and when the bad outweighs the good, harsh decissions are taken.
It's a great pity such a beautiful building may go and I don't know what plans there are, but if another Church is built to replace it, it will be far more economical to run.
Posted By: VicarPete Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 1st Feb 2017 11:45pm
This is an old thread but I thought it worth pointing out that the church building is not only still standing but has reopened with a newly refurbished worship area and a friendly coffee bar in the basement.
Posted By: granny Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 1st Feb 2017 11:53pm

Good news, VicarPete and good luck. Hope it goes well.

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/poultonparish/
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 2nd Feb 2017 12:26am
Brilliant thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Posted By: fish5133 Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 2nd Feb 2017 12:33pm
Got a free drinks voucher for their Inspire Café must get it used before it comes tumbling down.. . Knock it down and reuse the bricks to build the new one.. can be a cost neutral exercise and keeps a bit of history.. Trouble with a lot of these old buildings is they can have a big carbon footprint and probably a drain on resources. In a bit of an odd location bordering housing and industrial areas.
Posted By: dingle Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 27th Sep 2017 5:17am
Thanks VicarPete, great news.
Posted By: keef666 Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 27th Sep 2017 7:14am
The Seacombe Reform Church over the last year is going the same way, the main Church has been stripped out and the smaller modern hall is now used for Sunday service, I'm waiting for the bulldozers to move in and knock it down, and someone to build an ugly block of flats on it!
Posted By: Dilly Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 27th Sep 2017 8:31am
I would have to say that housing is in greater demand than churches. I see the big church at the bottom. Of Manor rd is to let.
Posted By: granny Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 27th Sep 2017 8:40am

We can't always rely on that though (housing), possibility of one church closing, another religious group could take it's place. wink
Posted By: Dilly Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 27th Sep 2017 8:57am
Yes granny you are right. I'm thinking of renting the church and opening it as a a pub, before it is turned into A mosque smile
Posted By: snowhite Re: St Luke's Church Poulton - 27th Sep 2017 9:27am
Originally Posted by Dilly
Yes granny you are right. I'm thinking of renting the church and opening it as a a pub, before it is turned into A mosque smile
Exactly what i was thinking Dilly, Maybe open your own community centre.
There is a muslim one in Birkenhead now, with a prayer room in the premises.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral