Pictures from Bidston Village.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The Cottages were derelict not too long ago i was told.
One person has been buying them, fixing them, and selling them,
but not with out his troubles with the council and planning.

[Linked Image]
You can see what seems to be an original chimney.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: placidmaster Re: Bidston Village - 9th Mar 2008 7:53am
some beautiful buildings in bidston, my cousin married in the church, always liked going through this part of the world.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Bidston Village - 10th Mar 2008 9:26am
It's a great little village (sadly engulfed in new housing but what's done is done!) thanks for the piccys.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Bidston Village - 10th Mar 2008 9:30am
Isnt the church haunted?

...or am I thinking of Bidston Hall ?
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Bidston Village - 10th Mar 2008 6:03pm
The Ring o Bells inn used to be on the corner next to the church but the local parishioners forced its closure in the late 1800s due to the drunken behaviour of the regulars disturbing church goers Ring o Bells Inn
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Bidston Village - 10th Mar 2008 6:08pm
These cottages are the Lilac Cottages and are still known by that name today Lilac Cottages
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Bidston Village - 10th Mar 2008 7:12pm
The ring o bells played a huge part in smuggling. Contraband was hidden there and taken to wallasey. There are detailed notes of smugglers attacking customs officer in Bidston with weapons. Nothing changes eh ? !!

Bidston Hall is meant to be haunted. Bidston Hall farm opposite the church has a proest hole hidden within the building. Theres so much history in Bidston too much to write ! A
Posted By: Mark Re: Bidston Village - 13th Apr 2008 12:11pm
Few More Pictures from Bidston Village.

Attached picture wikiwirral004.jpg
Attached picture wikiwirral005.jpg
Attached picture wikiwirral006.jpg
Posted By: LukeORourke Re: Bidston Village - 14th Apr 2008 12:42am
i used love going through there on the bus
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Bidston Village - 18th Sep 2008 11:33pm
Second picture down used to be the village shop in the 70's .

Remember using it on the way to BI (tollemache rd)
Posted By: boughtanpaid4 Re: Bidston Village - 19th Sep 2008 10:31am
Interesting read.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/7477/tilly.html
Posted By: hoseman Re: Bidston Village - 19th Sep 2008 12:46pm
Thoes cottages were bought up by a guy called Dave Evans. Hes a bricky / self made millionair. Hes into restoring buildings and always got something on the go! He collects CRANES, just caus he likes them and gets me to do the maintenance. Havnt seen him for a while, last time, he had a small JET engine he was thinking of putting into a Land Rover chassis to see wot would happen!!!
Give you a clue Dave.... doh lamethrower skull ghost nono
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Bidston Village - 19th Sep 2008 9:51pm
Crazy! needs to get the landy off to santa pod and as for the cranes wtf!! you cant keep them on your driveway raftl
Posted By: hoseman Re: Bidston Village - 20th Sep 2008 8:45pm
Stil got the jet engine, and the cranes he keeps on various sites hes working on!!
He owns ALL thoes cottages in the block and i think he has something to do with the ones on the other side of the road!
Nicest guy in the world, bit loopy(sorry Dave!) got a lot of time for him!
Sometimes its not about the money, people are more interesting!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston Village - 24th Sep 2008 6:19pm
there is a fun day this weekend in bidston village sat 10 till 4 because the hill is 100 years old or something!! yipee
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Bidston Village - 25th Sep 2008 7:19am
Think the hill is more than 100yrs old lol but might pop along to this smile
Posted By: Morseman Re: Bidston Village - 21st Oct 2008 12:12pm
Originally Posted by boughtanpaid4

Eeh that Slemmen feller has a vivid imagination doesn't he? There is this young girl who sees a strange looking man in her house in the middle of the night who decides to sexually assault her and she can later perfectly describe every bit of clothing he was wearing. Yeh right. When I saw a ghost in our old house the last thing I was looking at was what he was wearing. Too shocked!

Listen Slemmen if any of that was correct we would have heard about it a long time ago, especially those of us who take a keen interest in local history. Phoney.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Bidston Village - 21st Oct 2008 5:09pm
Ha Ha you cant beat Derek Acorah ...

"Mary loves Dick, Mary Loves Dick !!"

You couldnt make that up !
Posted By: kimpri Re: Bidston Village - 1st Dec 2009 12:00am
Bidston parish hall.I remembre this this grand old building before it was set on fire about 1973/75 i think,

Attached picture scan0006.jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston Village - 1st Dec 2009 12:11am
Would this hall be the type of place where 'young people' would meet to dance , just post war?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston Village - 1st Dec 2009 12:17am
The reason i ask-going to landican last week-the funeral cortege did the 'long route' past st james church+ up biddy hill. Now, i knew plus nan+ grandad got married at st james but learnt, at the wake, they met at a dance hall on or near biddy hill-cant remember. Wonder whether this was the place? Interesting.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Bidston Village - 1st Dec 2009 12:35am
It was just up the lane in between the war memorial and ivy farm,
right behind the war memorial smile .
I have been looking hi and low for picture of old hall?
got more old photos soon?
Posted By: kimpri Re: Bidston Village - 1st Dec 2009 12:38am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
The reason i ask-going to landican last week-the funeral cortege did the 'long route' past st james church+ up biddy hill. Now, i knew plus nan+ grandad got married at st james but learnt, at the wake, they met at a dance hall on or near biddy hill-cant remember. Wonder whether this was the place? Interesting.
That was the only hall round there Rude?
Posted By: kimpri Re: Bidston Village - 17th Jan 2010 3:30am
The chimneys on clover cottage were a lot higher than they are now,
look at the gate posts that will give you an idea of there original hight smile
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Bidston Village - 22nd Jul 2010 7:22pm
The house shown in the second picture down used to have a building next to it. It may well have been a barn at one time in it's history. Inside it was like a Swiss chalet. It had a lovely floor in it. The floorboards were varnished and there were a few tables as well. It used to sell pop and ice cream in there. In the summer it always felt nice and cool in there. At some point in the late 50s it was closed and I think it was pulled down.
Posted By: Longnails Re: Bidston Village - 26th Jul 2010 9:24pm
The second picture down, on the first post, and if it's the building I'm thinking of was a shop when I used to go to Church every Sunday in 1966 onwards.
I loved this place so much. Bidston Hill was my playground and what a beautiful place of nature too.I have never been good at map reading or finding my way but I knew that place like the back of my hand.
Also my Husband and I used to meet there every night when we first met.
Once again so many happy memories evoked.
Thanks for sharing the photo's
© Wirral-Wikiwirral