Forums
Posted By: Mark Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 19th Feb 2008 3:33pm
The Picture isn't exactly on the same line,
But its the General Area where the Cottages Would have Been.
The Black and white Top Picture is looking across the field
left to right from where the colour picture was taken.

Read More About them Click Me

Attached picture dock.jpg
Posted By: Northender Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 9th Jul 2008 9:17pm
When the weather is very dry, and the grass is short (like in 1995), you can actually see the outline of the foundations of where Ilchester Square once stood.

There are very few pictures about on the internet of Ilchester Square which is surprising, but some residents bought pictures of the Coronation parties in 1953 from the Birkenhead News, which I have seen and they are very clear and in black and white.
Somebody somewhere must have copies of these.

Pictures of the square were also featured in the Birkenhead News in the early 1970's when demolition was being discussed. There was a report by the council referring to "Social Misfits" which the Birkenhead News picked up on and went around interviewing residents about it.

More recently, an episode of Merseybeat (the first in the final series) was filmed in Ilchester Road, Tyrer Street and Buccluech Street.

Here is a picture of the remaining flats in Ilchester Square as seen from Ilchester Road:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Rredd Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 27th Oct 2008 5:46pm
I lived for a few years with my nan in Severn Street, just round the corner would of been late 60's I am sure there was a pub either in the square or nearby that the locals called the 'bloodtub'. Does anyone remember that?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 27th Oct 2008 6:08pm
aye yes sarab the pub is actually called the The New Dock smile there is a thread about that here.. Click here for thread happy
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 27th Oct 2008 6:42pm
There is even 1 or 2 memebers on here who are regulars at the "Tub".
Posted By: chriskay Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 27th Oct 2008 7:16pm
Picked these up at the archives last Friday.

Attached picture Dock Cottages-1.jpg
Attached picture Dock Cottages-2.jpg
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 27th Oct 2008 7:30pm
good finds chris thumbsup
Posted By: Rredd Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 27th Oct 2008 7:49pm
Thanx Soundlad. I am trying to fit my memories of the area together. Was Beaufords called 'Frankensteins'?
Posted By: Morseman Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 27th Oct 2008 9:56pm
Stewart Street? That was changed to something else wasn't it?

Trying to work out on those plans if the toilets were communial and on the landings? Probably were because even a lot of the posh houses never had inside bogs in those days.

I remember going into Ilchester square to deliver something. Scared stiff my van would be robbed plus the wheels off it. Perhaps it was an urban myth but it had a very bad name.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 27th Oct 2008 10:27pm
Originally Posted by Morseman

Trying to work out on those plans if the toilets were communial and on the landings? Probably were because even a lot of the posh houses never had inside bogs in those days.

Damn, can't quite see. The legend says "F, water closet"...then something else. Looks as if it's in the flat. Why don't you pop into the archives & find out. Plan is B804/1. Who knows what else you might find out? I'm just sorry I'm so far away, otherwise I'd be in there all the time!
Posted By: Morseman Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 27th Oct 2008 10:35pm
I've either read it or it was passed down that they were communal toilets. I seem to remember either reading or being told that they never flushed but put buckets of water down or had a hose or something. Might just be old timers disease on my part?

I do believe that sometimes they were extremely nasty because some of the residents had never come across a proper toilet before. sick
Posted By: chriskay Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 28th Oct 2008 10:21am
I'm sure there's at least 1 person on here who's got a copy of "Up Our Lobby". That should mention it.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 28th Oct 2008 10:39am
Chriskay, I have a copy of that book.will have a look now and see if I can find anything.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 28th Oct 2008 10:58am
The lavatory was reached through another door from the back kitchen,to use the word "toilet"would be to bestow far too much dignity on what was simply a brick cubicle with a boarded box set against the outer wall. In the centre of the box was an approprately shaped hole. When ones bodily functions were performed it was an easy step or two to the tap at the sink to fill the ever present bucket and to hurl the water with as much force as one could muster, into the hole. The more force used the quicker the waste would be forced-down the outlet pipe,a far cry from the present day luxury of a siphon system.

Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 28th Oct 2008 11:02am
However, I did find this also.

One ground floor set of rooms in each block was designated as a communal wash house for that block,many times I have stood in the steam-filled room with it`s huge boiler inti which our mothers would plunge the family wash. The clothes would be "boiled",then at the appropriate moment,transferred to a tub. Here they would be swirled around with a three-legged contrvance.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 28th Oct 2008 3:36pm
Thanks for that, Dava. BTW, the three-legged contrivance was known as a dolly peg.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 28th Oct 2008 3:41pm
I don`t think it mentioned what is was called but it did say what it was used for and how it was used.
Posted By: DianeD Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 29th Oct 2008 7:03pm
My parents have owned The New Dock
Posted By: Ducko Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 30th Oct 2008 11:11pm
r u one of jimmys girls
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 26th Dec 2008 2:42pm
have heard of beauforts being called frankies as my boss and his wife worked there.he has never said frankenstiens before but that dosnt mean that its wrong.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 26th Dec 2008 6:04pm
exellent work guys happy
Posted By: bert1 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 26th Dec 2008 8:49pm
With the Dolly peg, they used a Dolly Tub and also had a dolly blue which i think was used for whitening. Also a washboard for scrubbing items on. Skittle groups used to get a tune out of a washboard and use it as a musical instrument within the group.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 26th Dec 2008 9:36pm
Your right about the Dolly blue Bert,I was told a while back that they also used to use it in emulsion paint to create a brilliant white effect.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 26th Dec 2008 9:38pm
Sorry,forgot to mention the Dolly blue was added by the customer not the manufacturer.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 26th Dec 2008 10:03pm
A Dolly blue was added to whitewash also, Lime was added to water along with tallow or candle wax and a dolly blue for whiteness. The last time i made whitewash about 30 years ago i could not get my hands on a dolly blue so i was advised by my dad to put Oxydol soap powder in as it contained dolly blue. It worked a treat.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 26th Dec 2008 10:52pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Skittle groups

Skiffle, please, Bert. I remember frequently visiting the Skiffle Cellar in Greek St. Soho in the late 1950's. This was the era of espresso bars, coffee in glass cups & just before the Swinging Sixties. Ah, what memories.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 26th Dec 2008 11:29pm
Dam typing tinger, i mean finger
Posted By: bazzer Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 8th Sep 2009 6:50pm
HI just been looking at post off(SARA)I lived in seven street in the late 60s i remember frankes and the beufords.do u remember the beuford easte on corpt road
Posted By: bigpete Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 17th Sep 2009 4:40pm
The famous/infamous 'Blood Tub' is no more - drove past on me way to the tip the other week - the weeds are already growing on the site....
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 1st Feb 2011 10:35am
Beaufort Air Sea (Rescue) Equipment was originally called 'Frankensteins' (named after the owners the Frankenstien Brothers)
The factory in Beaufort road was, at one time, the largest company of it's kind under one roof. They have in their time made Life Rafts, Life Jackets, Immersion Suits, Air Portable Hangers, Underground Emergency Water tanks to name but a few...They also had a large factory in Glossop in Derbyshire, in an old Cotton Mill called "Wrens Nest Mill". During the time they were called 'Frankensteins' most of the workforce would say they worked for (or at) Frankies and this name stuck with many of them even after the new name of Beaufort came into use, I still know of at least one person who refers to them as Frankie's.
Posted By: DianeD Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 10th May 2011 12:56pm
Hey guys, just a quick one, i love the pictures of the old bloodtub....my dad owned the pub for many years before he sold it to council for it to be pulled down and so id like to ask your permission to use some of these pics on my facebook page with reference to yourselves of course as the photographer who took them please as we dont have all that many and there is tons of memories for alot of people who will see them xx
Posted By: joycejones Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 25th Jun 2011 2:06pm
yes beauforts was called frankensteins or "frankies"

joyce
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 25th Jun 2011 3:19pm
Originally Posted by ianbx1
Beaufort Air Sea (Rescue) Equipment was originally called 'Frankensteins' (named after the owners the Frankenstien Brothers)
The factory in Beaufort road was, at one time, the largest company of it's kind under one roof. They have in their time made Life Rafts, Life Jackets, Immersion Suits, Air Portable Hangers, Underground Emergency Water tanks to name but a few...They also had a large factory in Glossop in Derbyshire, in an old Cotton Mill called "Wrens Nest Mill". During the time they were called 'Frankensteins' most of the workforce would say they worked for (or at) Frankies and this name stuck with many of them even after the new name of Beaufort came into use, I still know of at least one person who refers to them as Frankie's.

Sorry to go off the Illchester Square topic . I worked at Beauforts in the 80's . I do remember a Search and Rescue Helicopter from RAF Valley being scrambled and ending up hovering above a Birkenhead House . The Helicopter tracked down a locator beacon that used to be placed in the Liferafts. The beacon had been nicked and had been activated in the blokes bedroom.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 25th Jun 2011 3:50pm
Originally Posted by Morseman
I remember going into Ilchester square to deliver something. Scared stiff my van would be robbed plus the wheels off it. Perhaps it was an urban myth but it had a very bad name.

My uncle and his family used to live there. As a child I absolutely hated visiting the area.

Posted By: D_J_M Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 29th Jun 2011 11:37am
look at these pictures from last year christmas 2010

Description: St James Church
Attached picture 163213_184413518246496_100000335473383_535630_5711267_n.jpg

Description: Stanley Road Bloodtub was at the bottom right hmmmm not no more
Attached picture 179271_184413621579819_100000335473383_535632_3330171_n.jpg

Description: The now named ilchester Park formerly ilchester square dock cottages
Attached picture 179628_184413568246491_100000335473383_535631_7087695_n.jpg

Description: Tree on connaught way as you come off corporation rd
Attached picture 33804_184413458246502_100000335473383_535629_6308453_n.jpg

Description: Gautby road Boating lake
Attached picture 166443_184413784913136_100000335473383_535635_4537447_n.jpg
Posted By: D_J_M Re: Illchester Sqaure - The Dock Cottages - 29th Jun 2011 12:04pm
dont know if the older ones find the tree as significant as i do but if anyone went to portland then you probably will lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral