Forums
Posted By: chris7777 Fire station - 22nd Nov 2016 12:24pm
Does anyone remember a fire station in new ferry,if so, were was it?
Posted By: lansyp Re: Fire station - 22nd Nov 2016 12:36pm
I think it was the top of new ferry road where the market is there was a picture on another site not long ago I will see if I can find it
Posted By: lansyp Re: Fire station - 22nd Nov 2016 12:43pm
http://www.newferryonline.org.uk
Try this site it may have something
Posted By: bert1 Re: Fire station - 22nd Nov 2016 2:26pm
Perhaps New Ferry was covered by Levers.

http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/historical/worksAndPrivate.htm
Posted By: yoller Re: Fire station - 22nd Nov 2016 6:27pm
This is on eBay ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ferry-Fire-Station-Birkenhead-1912-J-Geo-Davies-Postcard-Brigade-Engine-/112210943251?hash=item1a204b1d13:g:0xUAAOSwiDFYMhds
Posted By: bert1 Re: Fire station - 22nd Nov 2016 7:18pm
1911 Directory

Attached picture fire.PNG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Fire station - 23rd Nov 2016 6:27am
Image above,

24 Grove St, New Ferry
Cheshire Constabulary,
New Ferry Fire Station (Branch)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fire station - 24th Nov 2016 12:26am
So that makes the Fire Station and Police station where New Ferry Park Lodge day nursery is now. Grove Street has become Grove Road.

Park Lodge Day Nursery's building is called "Station House".

Not to be mistaken for the black and white lodge where they used to be on New Chester Road (hence the name). I think Station house used to be New Ferry Village Hall at one point.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Fire station - 24th Nov 2016 7:43pm
I remember the police station , it was at station house on the corner of Grove street next to Grove street school.
Park lodge ( the black and white ) building on new chester road was where new ferry parks keeper lived.
The village hall in the park isn't that old.
Me and other half don't no of any fire station in new ferry .
It's still called Grove street not grove road .
The nearest fire station to new ferry was the one that use to be in port sunlight and the present one at by Bromborough pool.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fire station - 24th Nov 2016 11:21pm
Some maps (eg google) has it as Grove Road but on checking it is still officially registered as Grove Street - the same as the one and only road name that is still extant.

The nursery was in the lodge, the village hall was in "Station House", when the new Village Hall was built in the park they all swapped around.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Fire station - 25th Nov 2016 3:20pm
Lol DD, the school has always been grove street school because it's in grove street it has never been called Grove Road school.
Yeah the nursery was in the lodge for a little while.
I never knew the village hall to be in station house before the new one was built.
After the police station closed it was empty for years before it became offices.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fire station - 25th Nov 2016 10:09pm
Originally Posted by SUExx
I never knew the village hall to be in station house before the new one was built.

It might have just been the registered/contact/postal address while they awaited the new one to be completed. Or perhaps yet another google data error.

The map will be corrected soon to name the street correctly, its quite strange because google maps has it incorrect and yet google earth has it correct. It may be one of the intentional errors they put on maps to detect if anyone is copying them (trap street).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral