Forums
Posted By: Alexmullen Thingwall quarry - 31st Jul 2016 11:43am
Hi

I live on the former site of thingwall quarry. For years I have been trying to find a photo, picture or whatever without success,that shows how it looked. Has anyone anything at all as I have many times for years but find it difficult to accept there is nothing.

Any info would be much appreciated, regards in advance.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Thingwall quarry - 31st Jul 2016 1:11pm
Where in Thingwall was it? Not Irby quarry?
Posted By: granny Re: Thingwall quarry - 31st Jul 2016 1:31pm
No Fish, Thingwall. Mill Road.

This is the best I can find. Harold Hopps painting. Not even sure if it is the quarry but assume the mill was beside the quarry.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bert1 Re: Thingwall quarry - 31st Jul 2016 1:59pm
Tithe map & modern

Attached picture tithe mill quarry.PNG
Attached picture mod.PNG
Posted By: granny Re: Thingwall quarry - 31st Jul 2016 4:05pm
Aerial view 1970's. Same site as Bert's images, but I can't put it up on here, sorry.

e-mapping Victorian Cheshire: Twin maps

Posted By: Alexmullen Re: Thingwall quarry - 31st Jul 2016 4:37pm
The windmill picture was great but not sure where it was in relation but thanks great pic

Posted By: Alexmullen Re: Thingwall quarry - 31st Jul 2016 4:42pm
Yes the neighbour over the road had seen it as I said I live over the old quarry but it has been said a guy who lived round the corner in quarry road checked who the land belonged to. His search revealed no-one see he put in a claim and won. It was reputed he sold the land shortly after to Linden Homes for £1,000,000!
Posted By: granny Re: Thingwall quarry - 31st Jul 2016 6:26pm
Thingwall is a bit of a mystery. Miss E Wade owned two fields on different sides of the quarry as did J Shaw. Miss E Wade owned a lot of land around and about. Part of my garden was from her estate but unadopted. There is a field off Galloper's Lane which she also owned, but after a recent effort to find who owns it now, all the locals came up with blanks. There is no apparent will, and therefore nothing can be proven. Vyner's owned Mill Farm and other plots in that location, from which there would appear to be a short path leading to the quarry.
Do you have a copy of Greg Dawson's book Tingvelle ? There is a map with field names at the back for 1850. In the book Greg Dawson says he used to play in the quarries as a child. He lives in Irby. You might find a contact number on the internet. His address is there. He has a lot of information.
There is also this document which might give some more info on land owners, not sure how much you have already.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A2qad1/HeswallMagazineFeb20/resources/16.htm
Posted By: granny Re: Thingwall quarry - 31st Jul 2016 6:36pm
At the bottom of the page with the Field Names 1850 on there is a footnote, which says;

COMMONS AND QUARRIES.OWNERS PROPRIETORS OF THE TOWNSHIP OF THINGWALL. OCCUPIERS, THEMSELVES.

Not sure what that means. This map must be copied from the archives.
Posted By: Alexmullen Re: Thingwall quarry - 9th Aug 2016 7:28pm
It's seems to be such a problem can't believe no one has a painting or photo really disappointed

Posted By: granny Re: Thingwall quarry - 9th Aug 2016 8:21pm
Contact Colin Millington. He lived Thingwall and took many photos of the area and wrote books. He is getting on a bit now, so hope he's still able to help.

http://www.barnstonvillage.info/bvhistory.htm
Posted By: granny Re: Thingwall quarry - 9th Aug 2016 11:24pm
Maybe better to contact him at Heswall Photographic Society.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Thingwall quarry - 10th Aug 2016 7:17am
Any records of the Liverpool Geological Society may help,

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a/A13531688

"On some faults exposed in a Quarry near Thingwall Mill, illustrated by numerous photographs and diagrams"

Attached picture geo.PNG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral