Forums
Posted By: BrianC500 Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 28th Dec 2015 5:11pm
Would anybody have any information and/or pictures of Seabank Cottages, I think Lairds swallowed them up and Woodland Avenue, Tranmere. I did find an old post but the picture can't be viewed.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Mark Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 28th Dec 2015 5:33pm
The pictures are visible to userplus members smile

click me
Posted By: BrianC500 Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 28th Dec 2015 7:25pm
Thanks
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 29th Dec 2015 10:51am
My great grandfather lived at 4, Seabank Cottages in 1881. He worked at the tannery next door.
I can't locate Woodlands Avenue; there's Woodlands and Woodlands Terrace, in the Clifton Park area, both off Whetstone Lane.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 29th Dec 2015 11:00am
hope this helps
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.3830&lon=-3.0159&layers=171
May have to look for a map before the tannery was built
( I think built about 1907)

Attached picture seabank road.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 29th Dec 2015 11:09am
Originally Posted by chriskay
My great grandfather lived at 4, Seabank Cottages in 1881. He worked at the tannery next door.
I can't locate Woodlands Avenue; there's Woodlands and Woodlands Terrace, in the Clifton Park area, both off Whetstone Lane.

The 1911 census has Woodland Avenue enumerated after Woodland Terrace and before Woodlands, you're in the correct area Chris.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 29th Dec 2015 11:31am
According to the 1906 Directory, it would have been at the side of the Baptist church, Whetstone Lane, Borough Rd side.

Attached picture wood.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 29th Dec 2015 12:03pm
Woodland Avenue, 10 houses, 1911 census,

1-9
2-10
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 29th Dec 2015 12:53pm
The 1911 Directory, Whetstone Lane

Was the Grange Baptist Church built on Woodland Avenue?

Attached picture woodland ave.JPG
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 30th Dec 2015 1:03pm
This is from the O.S. map of 1912. I guess Woodland Avenue is where I've marked x-x. Strange that it's not named on the map.

Attached picture Clip.jpg
Posted By: BrianC500 Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 30th Dec 2015 9:01pm
Thanks everybody. I've just subscribed, so hopefully within the nest 24 hours I'll be able to see the attachments. :-)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 31st Dec 2015 7:36am
Originally Posted by chriskay
This is from the O.S. map of 1912. I guess Woodland Avenue is where I've marked x-x. Strange that it's not named on the map.

Yes, agree, Chris.

Not found it named/marked on any map I have viewed.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 31st Dec 2015 8:38am
1916 directory with a few extra houses to bert's 1911

On chriskay's map it doesn't look very wide - more like a jigger between backyards

Attached picture 1916.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 31st Dec 2015 9:32am
My thoughts are, it wasn't a road fit for vehicles but a paved area between houses with front gardens.

Could be the reason the 1911 directory has included it the way it has.
Posted By: Norton Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 31st Dec 2015 12:24pm
The 1875 1:500 OS map has it shown where you indicated. They are spelt with an 's' as in Woodlands.
It would seem to have been a small passageway, with steps leading down to at least one garden on the west side of the passage.

Attached picture m100095_331600_388400.png
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 31st Dec 2015 12:58pm
Interesting; the steps seem to lead to a covered passage between numbers 1 and 3.
It is certainly very narrow, hardly justifying the title Avenue.
Posted By: BrianC500 Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 31st Dec 2015 1:18pm
Thanks everybody. I'm trying to map my family as they moved around Birkenhead. I've found an old post from Diggingdeeper in 2009 that shows Seabank Cottages behind the buildings on Seabank Road on the Tannery side. Apparently where Ark Royal Way is now.
Posted By: Norton Re: Seabank Cottages / Woodland Avenue - 31st Dec 2015 2:52pm
I remember that post, but not looked for it as the buildings have changed a bit in the past few years.

What remains of Seabank Road seems to be the passage behind the Halfords Auto-Centre and the building to the south of it. The wall at that point is formed from two shades of light grey brick and is quite distinctive, and it is adjacent to the start of the bus stop pull-in.

Therefore, as you thought, Seabank Cottages would have been between Ark Royal Way and the front of Halfords.
A section of the 1876 OS map is attached. Bridge St is now Chamberlain St.

Despite its pleasant sounding name and proximity to the river (the wall would have been where Cambletown Road lies) contemporary reports of the time describe the stench from the mud flats in Tranmere Pool, if I remember correctly.

Attached picture Seabank Cottages 1876.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral