Forums
Posted By: yoller Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 5:29pm
Apologies if we’ve covered this subject before, but I’ve been trying to recall how the coin-in-the-slot meters worked in our houses in the old days - in my case, the mid-1950s.

I well remember that you had to put a shilling in the electricity meter to get a set amount of time. Once the money ran out, your lights went off, along with your radio (no telly in those days).

But I can’t remember how it worked for gas. Was there a similar coin-in-the-slot system?

Also, when the leccy man came periodically to empty the meter, piling up the shillings on the table and counting them, there was more often than not a bonanza for the family in the form of a 'rebate' - he gave you so many shillings back. But how come you got money back if it was a pay-as-you-go system?
Posted By: Dilly Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 5:41pm
Yes same method for gas. My mums rebate always had a certain amount of filed half pennies in it. It was always my job to file them on the doorstep smile . We also had a tv that had a slot meter, bit of a bummer when the money ran out in the middle of Corrie frown
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 5:47pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums..._Gas_Electric_meters_etc.html#Post443623
Posted By: cools Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 5:50pm
Yes I well remember those days too. As you say Yoller big day for the family, a bit of spare cash we'd get a few pennies for sweets. Anything that would fit went in those meters ,washers as you say Dilly filed down coins , foreign coins the lot. If i remember right he would always wear a long black or blue overcoat and we would all stand around while he put all the junk in one pile and shillings in other and then wait with bated breath to see how much was left over..Happy days
Posted By: Dilly Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 6:01pm
I still have that meter on Berts link, Ste must have taken the pics when I was out. It's just hanging on the workshop wall if anyone collects this sort of stuff they are welcome to pick it up, I just hate to see stuff like this go the tip.
Posted By: yoller Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 6:03pm
Thanks for the link back to the 2010 postings, Bert. I had a feeling the subject had come up before (I even contributed to it!) and it was covered in depth at that time.

The only reason I brought it up again is that, while I can see how electricity could easily be switched on and off, how could the meter safely cut off the gas and switch it on again?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 7:30pm
Hope this helps,

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...0in%20a%20gas%20coin%20meter&f=false
Posted By: casper Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 8:32pm
I remember the gas meter was under our stairs right next to an open hatchway to the cellar you had to open a little door at the side of the stairs and crawl in put the money in and turn the key it always reminded me of winding up a clockwork toy up, might be wrong here but I am sure the gas meter was pennies and the electric meter was shillings, anyway it used to scare me as it was dark and the wind would be howling under the cellar and my siblings used to scare the crap out of me.
Posted By: yoller Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 8:58pm
Thanks for the technical explanation, Bert. It obviously wasn't dangerous at all - just a valve mechanism.

Any ideas on why we got a rebate after the gasman had counted up the shillings?

As I said, if it was a pay-as-you-go system, surely all the money would have been used in buying the gas.

Posted By: Salmon Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 15th Nov 2015 9:16pm
I remember those days but not sure why we always got money back. Perhaps it was based on use, i.e. the more you used the cheaper it became but you still paid up front.Just like now, different tariffs.
You may recall the old joke about the electric meter : I am glad you dropped in Bob, I was just going out.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 6:15am
We got a rebate because we were paying above the price of the gas. The meter was made to take Shilling coins and pre set to allow a certain amount of gas through for a Shilling.
For example, the amount of gas that we got for a Shilling was only 10d worth, putting a Shilling in also allowed for the gas price rises.
It would only be when the price of gas went up above the Shilling would they have to come out and regulate the machine, either by allowing less gas through for the shilling or replacing the machine slot to take larger coins.

As and when the gas prices went up, the rebates became smaller.

Thinking about it, the Shilling must have been at one time the most minted coin, the majority of them must have been in meters.
Posted By: casper Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 9:55am
Just done some checking on the internet and gas meters did indeed take pennies certainly up until the 50s and maybe even the 60s, so my mind is still working ok crazy .
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 10:36am
What happened in the following scenario.... gas fire going in one room and gas stove going in the kitchen. Shilling runs out, gas supply shuts off. (With me so far ??) Shilling put into meter and gas flows once again. Mrs Fanackapan relights stove and continues making supper. BUT what was to stop the (now unlit) gas fire from asphyxiating dearest Tiddles in the living room and then blowing half the street up? Was it just that folk then were more alert to going round and checking everything once they had fed the meter? Looking back, it seemed a recipe for disaster!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 10:54am
True and before natural gas it was much more toxic and I think a bit more volatile.
Posted By: philmch Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 11:44am
Back in the early 70s, one of my friends had a coin in the slot rental television. I remember going round their house to watch Ace Of Wands and the set went off in the middle. He got 50p off his mum, fed it in the side and it came back on.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 12:23pm
Time Savings Clocks were common in the '60's and '70's. You were "given" a clock by an Insurance company. You had to put in a florin (two bob) every week otherwise it would stop. That was your premium payment. Once a quarter(?) Mr Insurance man came to the house to empty it and credit your account. The back of the clock was then re-sealed. Crap quality clocks I seem to remember.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 12:28pm
Sorry - it was TWO florins a week! Just seen this on fleabay....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Time-savings-clock-/291614208504?hash=item43e58fb1f8:g:kFsAAOSwo0JWQ4Hx
Posted By: bri445 Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 3:35pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
True and before natural gas it was much more toxic and I think a bit more volatile.

We did our own Health & Safety in those days! We somehow survived, and without a hi-viz vest on!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 4:01pm
Originally Posted by bri445
Originally Posted by Dilly

We did our own Health & Safety in those days! We somehow survived, and without a hi-viz vest on!

Very true bri. I think then maybe we used that stuff called "commonsense". Virtually unobtainable now AND if you do use it, you are on a hiding to nothing !!
Posted By: jimbob Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 8:04pm
Pinz. In the 1940s I doubt there where many houses of us mere workers had the Luxury of a gas fire, Coal or Coke on the fire in the kitchen and the fire pace in the parlour was only used for wedding and funerals. When I say us workers I am referring to my parents as I was a war baby born in 1940 unlike the village elder who is a 1930s child
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 16th Nov 2015 9:20pm
Originally Posted by bri445

Yes, but people are brought up with a more academic and computer bias these days, we used to have a lot more practical knowledge either instilled in us or just out of curiosity.

Some things never change though, I still find nails, thick wire and silver foil used in place of fuses.
Posted By: Norton Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 17th Nov 2015 12:25pm
Also, in those times of slot meters, it was normal to be paid in cash (usually weekly) and to pay for goods and services in cash. Bank accounts for the average person were uncommon and standing orders and direct debits were unheard of.
Posted By: fiftyfiver Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 20th Nov 2015 8:25am
In the 60s I was working in Bristol, stayed in digs, the TV room had a coin meter, there were about 8 people watching the TV with me, the set went off, i put 6 pence in to resume the viewing no problem, about an hour later the set went off again so i looked round to see if anybody was about to offer to donate but was amazed to see everybody was asleep, as i wanted to see the film i donated again, i must have disturbed my fellow viewers as they suddenly awoke.
sleep
Posted By: bigwillow Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 20th Nov 2015 10:16pm
our meter was gas / when we had no 50 ps we made cardboard cutouts and put them in when the gas man came to empty it my mum would say it was the kids who where messing about and put them in. then when we got the rebate we went to the shop for sweets and sherbet
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 20th Nov 2015 10:34pm
We used to find paper money in the (locked!) collection box on coin-TVs, very rare was the money short, they didn't want to lose their TV.
Posted By: Mark Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 24th Nov 2015 4:50pm
I was told stories when the Gas man came around to collect the money it would be short, he would say i will give you a few days to get the money back in it, and call again. Some how there was bung in it for him if he did not report the problem wink

When i was a child i remember over hearing stories of steeling gas/electric meters from businesses, or there contents.
Easy pickings in to days terms.

If the gas /electric man was walking around collecting this much cash how come he was never mugged ??
Crazy to think back like the Health and Safety side of things.
Posted By: Mark Re: Coin-in-the slot leccy and gas meters - 24th Nov 2015 4:51pm
Originally Posted by fiftyfiver
In the 60s I was working in Bristol, stayed in digs, the TV room had a coin meter, there were about 8 people watching the TV with me, the set went off, i put 6 pence in to resume the viewing no problem, about an hour later the set went off again so i looked round to see if anybody was about to offer to donate but was amazed to see everybody was asleep, as i wanted to see the film i donated again, i must have disturbed my fellow viewers as they suddenly awoke.
sleep

Love it lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral