Forums
Posted By: BennyBoy 119 Grange Lane - 6th Sep 2015 5:31pm
Hi All. Wondering if anyone can help me.

One of my ancestors, born in 1829, moved from Westmorland and came to the Wirral.

He owned a photography studio at 119 Grange Lane Birkenhead.

I am not sure whether this road has either been demolished or turned into something else?

I know that alot of Wirral history comes from the creation of the docks and the potato famine in Ireland. But its strange that he has moved all that way to set up a studio. The census in 1891 states that he lives in Alderney Road in Hoylake (little Meols on cencus.)

Was wondering if anyone has any information on that road at all?

There are a few pictures online of people that he has photographed, one of them was a knight of the realm. I have not posted them as not sure about copyright etc.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: yoller Re: 119 Grange Lane - 6th Sep 2015 5:44pm
I'm sure Grange Lane was the original name of Grange Road, which became the main shopping area of Birkenhead - as it still is today. There should be lots of info available.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: 119 Grange Lane - 6th Sep 2015 5:52pm
Thanks.

Im struggling to get any info, I think what I might do is get a street directory and find some info that way.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 119 Grange Lane - 6th Sep 2015 6:05pm
Grange Lane is today Grange Rd, the persons name would be handy.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 119 Grange Lane - 6th Sep 2015 6:30pm
I've found him and family 1881 census, difficult to decipher the name and not sure if the transcription is correct.

Found his correct name, 1891.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 119 Grange Lane - 6th Sep 2015 7:23pm
1878 Post Office Directory, portion of Grange Lane

Attached picture 119.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: 119 Grange Lane - 6th Sep 2015 7:30pm
119, corner of Nelson St

Attached picture grange lane.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 119 Grange Lane - 6th Sep 2015 8:25pm
He even pops up on ebay ....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: yoller Re: 119 Grange Lane - 6th Sep 2015 11:58pm
I can't see the attachments on Bert's posts on this topic. The 'Click Me' link tells me permission is denied to non-registered users. But, as far as I know, I am registered. Can anyone help?
Posted By: bert1 Re: 119 Grange Lane - 7th Sep 2015 6:00am
Originally Posted by yoller
I can't see the attachments on Bert's posts on this topic. The 'Click Me' link tells me permission is denied to non-registered users. But, as far as I know, I am registered. Can anyone help?

Happened to me the other day, temporary blip, as far as I know.

Trying to find out when Thomas took over the premises in Grange Lane. It appears he took them over from Mr Hodgkinson between 1863 and 1869, probably nearer to 1869, he advertises for an apprentice in the Liverpool Mercury, 1869.

Attached picture 1869.JPG

Description: Liverpool Mercury, 1863
Attached picture 1863 hodg.JPG
Posted By: davew3 Re: 119 Grange Lane - 7th Sep 2015 6:45am
Can't follow what's happening as I can't see the pictures, sorry, seems I'am denied as a non-registered user.
Posted By: cools Re: 119 Grange Lane - 7th Sep 2015 7:02am
Yeah me too. Don't know what's happening here?
Posted By: Norton Re: 119 Grange Lane - 7th Sep 2015 11:22am
I've seen the attachments ok, but I've not been logged out for a few days. Might be different when I log in again.

Anyway, I found a stamp of Mr Thextons from the back of a photo on eBay, which may be of interest. Also found a photo of Grange Road where the building and corner of the road can be made out. Look at the second junction near the top of the picture and the building with 'Rhona Stores' on it - it would have been there, on that corner. The photographer is looking up Grange Rd, with Beatties/House of Fraser behind him.

I estimate that the location is now on the corner of the service road around the market, approximately behind Clarkes shoe shop.

Attached picture ThextonLogo.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: 119 Grange Lane - 7th Sep 2015 11:24am
Finger trouble - Grange Rd photo should be attached.

Attached picture york.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 119 Grange Lane - 7th Sep 2015 11:42am
Grange road 1950/60s most now demolished for new precinct but shows the type of buildings that were there
click

Description: think this is Norton's pic red marked top of Nelson st
Attached picture york2.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: 119 Grange Lane - 7th Sep 2015 4:06pm
Originally Posted by yoller

The History Information Request forum introduction explains you need a Registered Account and A User Plus Account to view the Attachments in Our History topics. Ive got alot of work in progress and not had time to make it more obvious, as ive been distracted with a Google Issue thats taken priority. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Posted By: cools Re: 119 Grange Lane - 7th Sep 2015 5:14pm
It's the same for me Mark, I am a registered user and never had any trouble before, something's wrong I think. Thanks

Admin Note : You also need a User Plus Account in the History Section.
Posted By: chriskay Re: 119 Grange Lane - 7th Sep 2015 10:46pm
Ah, that explains it, Mark. It wasn't made very clear.
Posted By: Norton Re: 119 Grange Lane - 9th Sep 2015 7:18pm
By pure co-incidence, I came across this entry from the 1906 Kellys Directory, indicating that he had become a sexton of the church.

Taylor George J. hair dresser, 49 Market street
Thexton Thomas, sexton & photographer, 4 Alderley road
Thompson John E., M,B,physician & surgeon, 21 Market st
Tomes Mabel (Miss), boarding house, 70 Alderley road
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: 119 Grange Lane - 15th Nov 2015 4:04pm
Hi guys,sorry for not replying. I did know that he was a sexton of a church from the census information.

Whats interesting is that he moved from Westmorland and thanks to him, we have many generations of our family here, all stemming from him.

He was an interesting character, as some of his offspring are living with step parents in the 1911 census, as well as him having more than one wife which I am sure at that time was a scandal, plus he was a man of god!

Would be great if I could get an image of the shop
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: 119 Grange Lane - 15th Nov 2015 4:10pm
One of the pictures he took in the birkenhead shop is in the National Potrait Gallery, he took a picture of a:

Sir Edward Cust, 1st Bt

Not sure who this person is?

What I would love to know is why did he move to Birkenhead from Westmorland to be a photographer?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 119 Grange Lane - 15th Nov 2015 4:31pm
Originally Posted by BennyBoy
What I would love to know is why did he move to Birkenhead from Westmorland to be a photographer?

Birkenhead was one of the richest, most progressive and prettiest places at one time.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 119 Grange Lane - 15th Nov 2015 5:02pm
Originally Posted by BennyBoy
Hi guys,sorry for not replying. I did know that he was a sexton of a church from the census information.

Whats interesting is that he moved from Westmorland and thanks to him, we have many generations of our family here, all stemming from him.

He was an interesting character, as some of his offspring are living with step parents in the 1911 census, as well as him having more than one wife which I am sure at that time was a scandal, plus he was a man of god!

Would be great if I could get an image of the shop

He never had more than one wife at the same time,

Married Frances Thornton, 1874, she died 1885.
Married Alice Mary Birkett, 1890, died, 1902.
Married Elizabeth Margaret Canevali, 1908, died 1918

remarrying was never classed as a scandal.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: 119 Grange Lane - 15th Nov 2015 5:18pm
Hi Bert

Do you have any more information on him?

I would be interested to find out more about him .

We have a picture which is my daughter, me, my father and my grandfather. Then there is a desperate picture of my great grandfather, my great great grandfather, and my great great great grandfather
Posted By: bert1 Re: 119 Grange Lane - 16th Nov 2015 6:33am
Hi Benny,

It depends on what you need, I don't want to repeat what you already know and have information on.

Are you stuck on anything in particular we might be able to help with?
Posted By: daveybm Re: 119 Grange Lane - 16th Nov 2015 9:20am
Sir Edward Cust MP one time resident of Leasowe Castle Wallasey:-

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/1282228190

Dave
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: 119 Grange Lane - 16th Nov 2015 8:12pm
Hi Bert

To be honest other than what I have read from official documents I don't know much about him.

With him being so far down my family line I don't have much info him. He is just very important as he started our family line on the wirral.

I would like to know more about his business and of him if there are a y newspaper articles or news about his business etc.

Anything you can get your hands on or any places you can point me in the right direction of would be great

Thanks

© Wirral-Wikiwirral