Forums
Posted By: chriskay Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 31st Jul 2015 11:40am
Trying to remember his name. He had a shop just a few doors up from Whetstone Lane, towards the library. Probably around number 253-263. Late 1940's/ early 50's
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 31st Jul 2015 2:19pm
It was run by Harry Liddle, then his son Roger Liddle.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 31st Jul 2015 2:38pm
Funny, that name doesn't ring a bell. I have in my mind a name like Forshaw/Crawshaw (of course, that was just the name over the door; I guess whoever ran it might have been a different name). What dates, DD? I certainly remember it in the late 1940's and the guy who ran it was really grumpy.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 31st Jul 2015 2:50pm
I remember the shop after that, it was there into the 60's and I think the 70's.

I phoned Merseyside Collectors Centre in Birkenhead Market to get the name, the lad that answered didn't know but he collared someone else who did.

I agree with the gist of your names, rings a bell vaguely. I am sure this has been discussed on here before about 6 years ago. The 3 year search limit is a nuisance, have to do it in stages.

Might pick it up on the Borough Road flood video if I can find it.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 31st Jul 2015 3:18pm
Can't remember, but it was probably I who asked previously but I don't remember getting an answer. What's needed is a Kelly's from that period.
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 31st Jul 2015 4:44pm
Was it Fishwicks?
Posted By: locomotive Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 31st Jul 2015 5:42pm
I remember it well, I used to go past every day on my way to school in the 50s, occasionally popping in to look at stamps, but the name escapes me, Forshaw's does ring a bell.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 31st Jul 2015 9:58pm
Originally Posted by muzzy2
Was it Fishwicks?

The more I think about it and with locomotive's input, I think it was Forshaw.
Posted By: joney Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 1st Aug 2015 10:24am
In my day it was Shorrocks (1940s)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 1st Aug 2015 10:35am
Originally Posted by joney
In my day it was Shorrocks (1940s)

Now that rings a bell! Well done!

Found the thread - just to embarrass Chris wink CLICKY
Posted By: bert1 Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 1st Aug 2015 11:33am
Norman Louis Shorrock, Born, 1929 Birkenhead, Died 1999.

Philatelist,
81 Dale St, Liverpool
12a Rumford Place, L3.

Unfortunately, none of the records I have place him at Borough Rd between 1938/70s, probably just never had a phone at Borough Rd.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 1st Aug 2015 11:48am
Ah, just found out that also The Prenton Philatelist was at 465 Borough Road. They were there until at least 2010.

STREETVIEW
Posted By: chriskay Re: Stamp dealer, Borough Rd. - 1st Aug 2015 12:46pm
Well, thanks, all, especially DD for finding the old thread: maybe I will be able to remember the name for more than three years this time.
The streetview of where the Prenton Philatelist was brings back memories. One of those shops was a monumental mason and when my gran died in 1992 they took the family headstone from Landican and added her name.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral