Forums
Posted By: locomotive map mystery - 15th Dec 2014 6:57pm
Looking on an 1889 map on this site, to answer another question, I was looking for Carlisle Street, off Oxton Road, only to find it was then called Peel Street, the streets either side, Mornington St., and Midland St still had the same names, can anyone throw any light on this please.
Posted By: bert1 Re: map mystery - 15th Dec 2014 10:07pm
Below the map in question and a snippet of the 1881 census showing Carlisle St next to Midland St. Possible mistake on the map?

Attached picture map1.JPG
Attached picture carlise st.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: map mystery - 15th Dec 2014 10:22pm
1876 map showing Peel St, not carlise St.

Attached picture 1876.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: map mystery - 15th Dec 2014 10:37pm
Peel St on the 1881 census is in the Clifton Ward, Tranmere, by Union St.
Posted By: chriskay Re: map mystery - 15th Dec 2014 10:40pm
The 1889 map is wrong in several respects:
1. Warwick St. and Windsor St. are reversed.
2. Clayton St. is mis-spelled and was not straight.
3. Cook St. was not straight.
4. Quarry Bank St. was not opposite either Warwick or Windsor Sts.
There may be other errors but those sprung to mind. I knew the area well as my gran lived in Windsor St.
I must admit I'd never heard of Peel St.
Attached is a copy of the 1912 O.S. map.

Attached picture Clip.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: map mystery - 15th Dec 2014 10:43pm
Peel St on the 1889 map. Tranmere.

Attached picture peel.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 6:17am
Below the 1878 Post Office Directory for Oxton Rd, Birkenhead.
Carlise St being on the 1881 census means any name change must have taken place between 1878 and 1881. The 1889 map must either be wrongly dated or the information for that map has been taken from earlier maps with no checks being done.

Attached picture PO directory.JPG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 9:51am
Could be a name changed such as Victoria Road, Seacombe to Borough Road so as not to be confused with Victoria Road, New Brighton.
That's if they had a fire service/police response then
Posted By: bert1 Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 10:42am
Seems odd, below, 1876 map with Carlisle St where Peel St, Tranmere, is/was in the following years. It appears a swop over of street names have taken place.

Attached picture carlise st tran.JPG
Posted By: chriskay Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 11:59am
Interesting about the street name swap; I bet that caused a lot of confusion for a while. Also, I wonder why, in the 1878 directory, there's that huge gap between numbers 70 & 78. The first missing building would be where the offices of the Birkenhead Brewery were.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 1:55pm
Is it one of the "deliberate mistakes" that map makers introduced to weed out copyright thieves?

I think they're known as "trap streets" but are generally fake streets added rather than changing a name.
Posted By: chriskay Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 5:34pm
Too many actual errors on that map I think, for that to be the case. I've heard of the "phantom street" idea, to deter copying.
Posted By: locomotive Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 6:48pm
Thanks for the info, must have caused confusion if they just swapped street names.
Posted By: yoller Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 6:50pm
I don't know if these maps will be of any help, or will further confuse things ...

1. 1866 Philips map - No Peel Street / Carlisle Street or anything else near the Birkenhead-Chester Railway line in Rock Ferry.

2. 1866 Philips map - Peel Street is there between Westbourne Road and Oxton Road.

3. 1888 Broom's map - There is a Peel Street between Westbourne Road and Oxton Road, and another Peel Street in Rock Ferry alongside the railway line.

(The yellow line on the third map is a boundary marker on the original - it's nothing to do with the Peel Street topic)

Attached picture peel3.jpg
Attached picture peel2.jpg
Attached picture peel.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 7:28pm
Yes, further confusion grin
On the 1866 map, Wilkinson St. was called Richmond (Terrace)?
Posted By: bert1 Re: map mystery - 16th Dec 2014 7:45pm
The 1888 Brooms map is definitely wrong, A timeline taken from, Directories, maps and census information.

1861, census & Directory, Peel Villas, Oxton Rd
1865, Directory, Peel St, Oxton Rd
1871, census, Peel St, Oxton Rd
1871, Carlisle St, Tranmere, Nr St Paul's Rd
1876, map, Peel St, Oxton Rd---Carlisle St, Nr St Paul's Rd
1878 PO Directory, Peel St, Oxton Rd

1881 census, Carlisle St, Oxton
1881 census, Peel St, Nr St Pauls Rd

The change over took place between 1878 and 1881
Posted By: chriskay Re: map mystery - 17th Dec 2014 12:28pm
Although it's earlier than these dates, it's worth remembering that it was only in the 1820's that the population of Birkenhead became bigger than that of Tranmere. Tranmere is a much older settlement than Birkenhead and the two would have been considered as separate towns, so perhaps it's not surprising that there was some duplication of street names. I expect that later, when the two blended into one, some re-naming would have taken place to avoid confusion. Before that, a letter addressed to Peel St. Tranmere would not have been confused with one addressed to Peel St. Birkenhead.
Posted By: bert1 Re: map mystery - 17th Dec 2014 1:20pm
Looking at the evidence from census, directories and maps, Peel St didn't exist at both locations at the same time other than on the Broom's 1888 map, which has to be incorrect.

Posted By: chriskay Re: map mystery - 17th Dec 2014 2:39pm
Yes, Bert, the details you compiled from the various sources make it pretty clear. I now see that one of the map sections you posted earlier is from Broom's plan, which contains some other errors in the Oxton Rd. area which I noticed.
I'd like to know more about Broom's plan: it's on that that the proposed railway line from the Wrexham line to Birkenhead Central is shown.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral