Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 1:30am
Any one have info pics of the old building that was half way down Ford Hill backing on to Bidston Court Gardens. Seemed such an odd place to build a house.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 5:46am
1894 map.

Attached picture bc1894.JPG
Posted By: lansyp Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 10:44am
Wasn't it called the gatehouse ,remember they had a car and how they got out without crashing I will never know .
Posted By: chriskay Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 11:35am
Originally Posted by lansyp
Wasn't it called the gatehouse ,remember they had a car and how they got out without crashing I will never know .

That would be because, in those days, there would only have been about four cars a day using the road: well, maybe five on Sundays. grin
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 11:42am
Was it the Lodge? 1938

Attached picture lodge.JPG
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 11:47am
It may have been a lodge, but officially Bidston Court Lodge was the building above the letter 'e' on the Vyner Road South side of the grounds.
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 12:07pm
I have no idea where this is but have been trying to work it out!
I like old maps
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 12:23pm
Chopper , it's about halfway down Ford Hill (on the left if you're going down the hill ). You can tell there was something there because there are railings in its place. As far as I can remember the house was still there in the late '70s. I think it was something to do with Bidston Court ( on some maps there is evidence of footpaths in the grounds) but the lodge is in Vyner Road South and is in the process of being renovated - very nice it looks too !
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 2:00pm
I know the lodge and in fact i know the railings- i had no idea a building was there. I only visited the gardens behind sometime in the last couple of years- looks a lot of history there as there must have been something important owned by someone wealthy.
If I am correct, I also think there is a little trail that runs along by the railings that I walked along.
Its amazing how things change over time.
Thanks for letting me know exactly where you meant.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 2:15pm
Thanks for map bert. Interesting that Bidston Court land seems to be both sides of Ford Hill. Seem to remember it was cut into the hill with no real access other than from Ford Hill,although I see a track marked on map Was definitely still there in early 70s as used to pass it on the bus on way to school. Usual myths about it being haunted. Right about the car as I remember that. wondered if it might have been a toll gate but they are usually indicated on maps
Posted By: lansyp Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 4:39pm
Think the house burnt down in the mid 70s I know I was only a hipper ,the house was a Tudor style one if my memory serves me well
Posted By: stickybeak Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 7:41pm
In the 60s there was a small holding, on the opposite side of the road, they kept chickens there and they would often be out on the road, Not so much traffic then,
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 8:17pm
Talking of Ford Hill, Does anyone know anything about the strange concrete "sculptures" that were positioned about where the lower roundabout is now. I used to pass them on the way to my Godmothers who lived in Wirral Way? she died in the 1960s.
Posted By: superreds Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 18th Nov 2014 11:13pm
I remember Red Roofs at the top of Ford Hill (on the left as you go up) which had a nunnery next door in Eleanor Road.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 21st Nov 2014 11:21am
Originally Posted by Martin1943
Talking of Ford Hill, Does anyone know anything about the strange concrete "sculptures" that were positioned about where the lower roundabout is now. I used to pass them on the way to my Godmothers who lived in Wirral Way? she died in the 1960s.

There was the "stone man" at the junction of meadway and manor drive certainly 1966 on wards and probably before but don't recall them near roundabout. There was also an old cottage by the old route of the fender and a stone bridge just near the end of Manor Drive where the M53 bridge is. Part of the old road is still there outside Upton Station. Which used to have its ticket office suspended above the tracks with a great coal fire burning in winter. (as did Bidston Station)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ford Hill -- Old Building - 21st Nov 2014 12:09pm
Stone man,

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/448551/John_Willey.html#Post448551
© Wirral-Wikiwirral