Forums
Posted By: locomotive Meols Parade - 18th Oct 2014 6:45pm
Does anybody know what the round brick building at the Meols end of Meols Parade is for, I've never seen anybody use it, but it's in good condition so must be used for something, thanks
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Meols Parade - 18th Oct 2014 8:19pm
The sewage waste pumping station, not a big queue to use it :-))

Attached picture aaa.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Meols Parade - 18th Oct 2014 9:12pm
Wasn't there a bit of controversy over this a few years back? Radioactive waste from Capenhurst was pumped from this location and along the Meols Outfall into the estuary. Nice! shocked The locals were slightly aggrieved!
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Meols Parade - 18th Oct 2014 10:51pm
It does ring a bell, but then again their are lots of bats flying around in my belfry :-))
Posted By: granny Re: Meols Parade - 18th Oct 2014 11:52pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Wasn't there a bit of controversy over this a few years back? Radioactive waste from Capenhurst was pumped from this location and along the Meols Outfall into the estuary. Nice! shocked The locals were slightly aggrieved!

Hansard reports

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1980/feb/25/uranium-plant-capenhurst-3

This is going back to 1977...and much longer
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1977/apr/07/dee-estuary-radioactive-waste
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Meols Parade - 19th Oct 2014 8:32am
Thanks Granny. I'm glad there are still a few bits of grey matter rattling round inside my old swede! What the heck I had for lunch yesterday is the big question these days. raftl

On another tack, is the Long Outfall still in use for sewage, or has it been made redundant by the Morpeth Dock set-up or on a wider basis, the MIRAS scheme? Excoriator... this is up your street maybe?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Meols Parade - 19th Oct 2014 4:11pm
The larger one is the pumping station. The smaller one is an electricity substation. We had a look in there when we where kids when the door was open once. It had a load or circuit breakers in there with their respective road names they supplied. We didnt have bottle to turn any off though.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Meols Parade - 19th Oct 2014 6:45pm
Thanks for the info, regards
© Wirral-Wikiwirral