Forums
Posted By: PhilH Lingdale Lodge - 25th Sep 2014 8:20pm
Does anyone have information on this Lodge which once stood on the corner of Shewsbury Road and Howbeck Drive Oxton?

Any pictures or an old map perhaps?

Thanks , Phil.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lingdale Lodge - 25th Sep 2014 8:43pm
Lingdale Lodge

Attached picture lingdale lodge.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lingdale Lodge - 25th Sep 2014 8:51pm
Map, 1900, ish,

Attached picture map ling.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lingdale Lodge - 25th Sep 2014 9:41pm
Lingdale Lodge was for a time the home of the Cockburn Family, George, Bertram, google is your friend.
Posted By: PhilH Re: Lingdale Lodge - 30th Sep 2014 1:07pm
Thanks Bert. I had googled it and read up on the Cockburn family but couldn't find out more. Great picture ...thank you.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lingdale Lodge - 30th Sep 2014 2:18pm
The Tithe Maps 1836/51, plot 395 has the owner, Earl of Shrewsbury, occupier, William Ravenscroft. 1841 census shows William Ravenscroft, Merchant, living with his family at Lingdale. This will be Lingdale House.

In April, 1851, John Ravenscroft, son of above is living in Parkfield with his mother (widowed)
In the October of 1851, John Ravenscroft marries Miss Scholes of Hamilton Sq, John gives his address as Lingdale Lodge.

Info, Lingdale House,
http://www.upton-wirral.co.uk/upt25.php

Posted By: Chorch Re: Lingdale Lodge - 22nd Jan 2023 7:08pm
Hello, I am writing from Argentina, I am from Hurlingham, a city on the outskirts of Buenos Aires named that way after John Ravenscroft Jr.(1856-1902) -eldest son of John Ravenscroft Sr. (1820-1878) and Ann Scholes (1827-1913)- founded a club in these lands, for United Kingdom citizens living in Argentina to practice different sports, with special emphasis on polo, similar to the Hurlingham Club in London from which it took its name.
As I have learned from this same forum, John Ravenscroft Sr. married Ann Scholes in 1851 and gave Lingdale Lodge as his address.
His son, John Ravenscroft Jr., was born on June 11, 1856 in Oxton, Wirral and died on August 22, 1902, in Buenos Aires.
I am writing on the subject and I'm interested in any information regarding the Ravenscroft family and John Jr. in particular.
For some unknown reason I don't have access to the Lingdale Lodge photo and map Bert1 posted which I'd be interested in seeing. Thank you all so much for what you can contribute.
Posted By: Chorch Re: Lingdale Lodge - 22nd Jan 2023 7:08pm
Hello, I am writing from Argentina, I am from Hurlingham, a city on the outskirts of Buenos Aires named that way after John Ravenscroft Jr.(1856-1902) -eldest son of John Ravenscroft Sr. (1820-1878) and Ann Scholes (1827-1913)- founded a club in these lands, for United Kingdom citizens living in Argentina to practice different sports, with special emphasis on polo, similar to the Hurlingham Club in London from which it took its name.
As I have learned from this same forum, John Ravenscroft Sr. married Ann Scholes in 1851 and gave Lingdale Lodge as his address.
His son, John Ravenscroft Jr., was born on June 11, 1856 in Oxton, Wirral and died on August 22, 1902, in Buenos Aires.
I am writing on the subject and I'm interested in any information regarding the Ravenscroft family and John Jr. in particular.
For some unknown reason I don't have access to the Lingdale Lodge photo and map Bert1 posted which I'd be interested in seeing. Thank you all so much for what you can contribute.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lingdale Lodge - 23rd Jan 2023 11:38am
A few snippets of information, John Ravenscroft, Jnr, born 1856.

1871 census has him being educated at Rugby School, Rugby.
Also went to Oxford University, Exeter College, BA, 1879, MA, 1882. In 1876 he was a student at Lincoln's Inn.
(Google Lincoln's Inn) London law and Bar.

1897 incoming passenger lists, England
John Ravenscroft, 42,
Gertrude Ann Ravenscroft, 27,
John Ravenscroft, 9 months.

I haven't got records for the Argentine covering marriages where I suspect he married Gertrude Ann.
A child Juan (John) Ravenscroft died 1899, Hurlingham, aged 3, possibly their son.

To view images here, subscription needed.
Posted By: Chorch Re: Lingdale Lodge - 23rd Jan 2023 6:39pm
Yes, the information is correct, his wife's name was Gertrude Ann Hallet and his first son, John, died of sepsis at the age of 3. They had another son, Roy, born in England in 1901.

Thank you very much for the rest of the information bert1, it opens other avenues of investigation for me.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral