Forums
Posted By: chriskay Seafield House, Tranmere - 7th Aug 2014 12:25pm
Can anyone tell me anything about it? It looks quite a large collection of buildings on this 1912 map (just under the large print "MERSEY". My father was born there in 1907, it was his mother-in-law's address.

Attached picture Seafield.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 7th Aug 2014 12:33pm
Hi, Chris,

I'm sure we've touched on this before, don't know where on here it is,if memory serves me correctly, stables perhaps. Will look again.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 7th Aug 2014 12:41pm
Yes Chris,

1881 census,
John Peers, Team Owner.

1911 census,
James Fryer, 62, widower,
Family members,
Ernest Kay, 6, Grandson.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 7th Aug 2014 1:06pm
1871, John peers declares himself as a cart proprietor. Seafield House would have been able to house his carts and horses, moving forward to James Fryer, 1911 directory, he's a butcher, the building itself had 6 rooms, wondering if a bit of slaughtering and meat preparation went on in the out buildings, perhaps he had a delivery cart/horses.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 7th Aug 2014 2:19pm
1874 map, it appears bits added on by 1912, possibly stables built.

Attached picture 1874 seafield.JPG
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 7th Aug 2014 2:43pm
Thanks, Bert. James Fryer was my great grandfather. He was a butcher and cattle dealer, born in Beaconsfield. One of his daughters, Agnes Ann, was my grandmother on my father's side, she died before I was born.
I probably have asked the question before, but can't remember getting very far.
Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 7th Aug 2014 3:13pm
Reported in the Huddersfield Chronicle via the London Gazette, Aug, 1886 under the heading, Bankrupts.

It also appears to probably have had a coal business run from there.

Attached picture bankrupt 1886.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 8th Aug 2014 9:31am
Still trying to find when and by who Seafield House was built.

According to Tythe map information, 1831/51 It was built on land owned by Edward Francis Finch, plot 259, plot name, Sea Hay. Occupied by Thomas Higgins. Thomas Higgins 1841 address through to 1861(Directory) was Tanyard Lane, Birkenhead, his occupation, Tanner. Unable to find Seafield House prior to 1871, its likely it was built after 1861.

Edward Francis Finch appears to be a large land owner, owning many, many plots, Thomas Higgins was recorded as being the occupier of most of them, looks like Higgins was a land agent of some description.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 8th Aug 2014 10:53am
Interesting, Bert. I see that plot 259 is described as pasture, and since the plot was called Sea Hey I suppose it's reasonable to have called the house Seafield.
My personal interest in the house doesn't start until about 1900 but it's interesting to know the earlier stuff.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 8th Aug 2014 11:46am
1916, the property is still with James Fryer, Butcher.
1923, James Wm Warren, Firewood dealer,
1938, gone.

Attached picture seafield 1923.JPG
Attached picture 1938ncr.JPG
Attached picture 1938ncr2.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 9th Aug 2014 6:12am
Correction to the landowner, Edward Francis French, not Finch.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 9th Aug 2014 10:12am
I see that a lot of the adjoining land was owned by George Orred. He seems to have been a big landowner; he owned the land where the Tranmere Hall Estate and the Mount Estate were built.

Edit: quite a bit about the Orreds here. I think George was probably the one born in 1807.
http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-e...-gentry-of-great-britain--irel-kru.shtml
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 9th Aug 2014 8:01pm
It seems in 1855, George Orred and Edward Francis French offered a portion of the adjoining plots they owned for sale, Tithe maps, plot 258 and 259 (Seafield House Plot), eventually becoming part of Lairds.

Attached picture land.JPG
Attached picture land1.JPG
Attached picture 258259.JPG
Posted By: granny Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 11th Aug 2014 8:35am
( I have interest in this topic for a different reason)
In an attempt to trace a road named Orred Road, which I was almost certain existed, the following popped up.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...;q=Orred%20Road%20Birkenhead&f=false

By 1843, George Orred claimed half the ownership of Tranmere and the rest was divided amongst more than 100 other owners.

http://devonshirepark.wordpress.com/site-protocol/about/
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 11th Aug 2014 11:21am
That's interesting, Granny. In view of the amount of land owned by George Orred, I'm surprised that there isn't a road named for him.
I first came across his name when I was researching my childhood home; Tranmere Hall Estate. I lived there until I joined the R.A.F. at 19 and I watched the building of the Mount Estate nearby after the war, which was also Orred land.
Incidentally, much of the information on the page about Devonshire Park, including the bit about Orred owning half of Tranmere, are a direct quote from the book "Sidelights on Tranmere" by J.E. Allison.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 11th Aug 2014 12:52pm
Oh dear, Granny, you've set me a real challenge here. The first link you gave, to the Sessional Papers 1837, seem to be the discussion in parliament of the Bill to enable the construction of the Chester to Birkenhead railway (the bill was enacted in July 1837). It's an absolute treasure trove of fine detail which will keep me busy for months/years to come.
Posted By: granny Re: Seafield House, Tranmere - 11th Aug 2014 4:31pm
Very pleased to hear that Chris. :)I'm pleased it's of interest to you. So far, I have not read it all and do not know what precedes it.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral