Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Grange Street queries - 5th Jul 2014 12:06pm
1 Looking at this pic of Birkenhead Arms 1910 before new one built after bombing 1940s trying to find what the crosses were
A business?
Surely not a small graveyard?

2 what pubs are in the pic and which ones in pic are they

Birkenhead Arms 1910 before new one built after bombing 1940s

1916 Wilmers
Wirral Arms 9 Grange Street Birkenhead

1861 Mawdesley
Borough Inn, 15. Grange street closed 1881

Commercial Inn 23 Grange Street

ctrl and + keys to enlarge pics
ctrl and - keys to lessen pics

Attached picture Birkenhead Arms & crosses.jpg
Attached picture crosses query.jpg

Description: 1916 wilmers
Attached picture 1916 grange st.jpg
Attached picture Grange st map.jpg
Posted By: davew3 Re: Grange Street queries - 5th Jul 2014 12:18pm
Magnifying the pic suggests it's a monumental sculptors display, the site looks as if it's about the size of a small building plot
cracking picture though.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Grange Street queries - 5th Jul 2014 12:26pm
Pic from Ian Boumphreys pub book 2
and I did ask him if I could use some of the pics in his books when I bought the book off him at one of his tables at fairs he's at now and again
Posted By: davew3 Re: Grange Street queries - 5th Jul 2014 1:35pm
Have you looked at any of the air photos of Birkenhead, at the Britain from air web, there is loads of pictures around that area of Cammell Laird and 1934 preparation of the opening of the Mersey Tunnel, I've had a look but I just can't match the snippets of your maps to the area.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Grange Street queries - 5th Jul 2014 3:43pm
Derek,

The 1916 directory you put up is incorrect, the Birkenhead Arms address was 146 Chester St, numbers for that side of Grange St started at number 5, I think its the first property past the garage. The 1881 and 1911 census record the pubs as following, 1881, Grange St, number9, Beer house, 15, Borough Inn, 25, Commercial Hotel. 1911, Occupants, 9 Beer house Keeper, 25, Licensed Victualler.

The crosses I agree with Dave, likely to be a memorial display area and/or storage.

Attached picture 1906.JPG
Attached picture b arms.JPG
Attached picture grange st.JPG
Posted By: yoller Re: Grange Street queries - 5th Jul 2014 9:47pm
The pub on the left is definitely the Birkenhead Arms. And it is possible that both addresses are correct - 146 Chester Street and 1 Grange Street, because the pub had entrances in both these streets.

Perhaps at one time there had been separate businesses in the building, each with its own address.

In later years, the group of buildings leading down from the Birkenhead Arms to the crosses was replaced by the Queensway garage and filling station, which faced on to the tunnel entrance.

The crosses are at the top of Egerton Street and - as has been suggested - they are almost certainly some sort of monumental mason's yard.

The building in the distance on the extreme right of the picture, whose rooftop you can see, was the Commercial Hotel.

Also see this link in the pubs section ...

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...kenhead_Arms_144_Chester.html#Post675289
© Wirral-Wikiwirral