Forums
Posted By: Hogan WW1 and WW2 - 27th May 2014 8:45pm
Hi All

I am researching a book about the Merseyside area during WW1 and WW2, I am looking for information with regards to any regimental barracks within the area, woman working during the war for the war effort, bombing raids in the area during WW2. Any stories that could be of interest, brothers serving, medal winners, letters, anything that is linked to the wars and the area. Any buildings still standing related to the wars.

Basically I'm after any information that could be considered of use.

Many Thanks

Ant
Posted By: bert1 Re: WW1 and WW2 - 27th May 2014 9:07pm
Hi and welcome,

If you look through here, https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...692/Wirral_History_Index.html#Post216692
you will see many topics related to your interests.
Posted By: Raven61 Re: WW1 and WW2 - 27th May 2014 9:37pm
My Nan worked here.
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/686231/1.html
Posted By: Hogan Re: WW1 and WW2 - 28th May 2014 8:49am
Thank You Both.
Posted By: joney Re: WW1 and WW2 - 28th May 2014 12:56pm
When I lived in Birkenhead during the war my sister was directed to work in Chester at Williams & Williams who had been been making metal window frames but were now making jerrycans and mortar bombs. She operated a capstan lathe which was a culture shock for her as she had never worked before as she assisted my mother in the house. She worked a three shift system and was taken to Chester along with other girls in special buses that picked up around the town and it all carried on despite the blitz, It was dangerous on the night shift on the journey and at work. She did however come through the war unscathed.
Posted By: bert1 Re: WW1 and WW2 - 28th May 2014 1:04pm
Originally Posted by joney
When I lived in Birkenhead during the war my sister was directed to work in Chester at Williams & Williams who had been been making metal window frames but were now making jerrycans and mortar bombs. She operated a capstan lathe which was a culture shock for her as she had never worked before as she assisted my mother in the house. She worked a three shift system and was taken to Chester along with other girls in special buses that picked up around the town and it all carried on despite the blitz, It was dangerous on the night shift on the journey and at work. She did however come through the war unscathed.

Joney,

Your sister and my mother probably knew each other, my mother also worked at Williams & Williams during the war, my mother being a welder on the jerrycans.
Posted By: joney Re: WW1 and WW2 - 29th May 2014 2:27pm
Well Bertieone it's a small world they probably got the bus together. The special buses left Laird st marked 44 or 88 down to Conway st and went up Exmouth st, which was good for my sister as we lived in the Lord Exmouth and the bus stop was almost opposite.
Posted By: bert1 Re: WW1 and WW2 - 29th May 2014 2:57pm
Joney,
I suppose my mother would have got the bus at Exmouth St also, living in Wood St off Watson St, I guess that would have been her bus stop. Do you know if the shells were packed with the explosive material at Williams & Williams or sent off elsewhere?
Posted By: davew3 Re: WW1 and WW2 - 29th May 2014 7:50pm
Don't forget Wirral had two Royal Ordinance factories, one at Hooton that I think made anti-aircraft guns and Capenhurst I believe that was where they packed the shells with explosive
Posted By: bert1 Re: WW1 and WW2 - 30th May 2014 12:19pm
Cheers Dave,

just wondering really, there doesn't appear to be much on Williams & Williams wartime activities, not that I could ever find anyway. During peacetime they employed 3500, I imagine it must have been some size place and what went on in some of these places during the war wasn't broadcast freely.
Posted By: joney Re: WW1 and WW2 - 30th May 2014 2:16pm
Hi bert1, the answers no. The mortar bombs were packed somewhere else it was purely an engineering works.
Posted By: bert1 Re: WW1 and WW2 - 31st May 2014 6:18am
Originally Posted by joney
Hi bert1, the answers no. The mortar bombs were packed somewhere else it was purely an engineering works.

Cheers Joney,
came across this painting, women welders at Williams & Williams.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/women-welders-at-williams-williams-chester-102907
Posted By: granny Re: WW1 and WW2 - 1st Jun 2014 9:21pm
Some memories on this link Hogan

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/657904/1.html
Posted By: joney Re: WW1 and WW2 - 2nd Jun 2014 3:03pm
Hi Bertieone, great painting but I don't think health & safety these days would be impressed. Short gauntlets no full face masks no face masks for fumes and they seem to be wearing their own clothes apart from an apron. I do remember my sister had a full wrap around overall coat. I was 8 yrs old when war broke out and during the war I was of an age were I could soak up all the information around me, and as I still have all my marbles I can remember a lot. It was a very exciting time for someone of my age.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral