Forums
Posted By: Helles Old postcard - 4th Feb 2014 1:42pm
Bit of a mystery on facebook that someone here may help resolve. There was an old postcard for sale on ebay that was posted from Liscard/Birkenhead to New Brighton in 1906.

The photo is entitled Elliotts bridge collapse and shows a small damaged stone bridge with some planks across it, quite near to a stone cottage. Looks quite rural.

Does anyone know if there was an Elliotts bridge anywhere in the Wirral and if so where? Ta.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Old postcard - 4th Feb 2014 3:02pm
Here's the postcard:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Helles Re: Old postcard - 4th Feb 2014 5:00pm
Ta. Helps a lot.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Old postcard - 4th Feb 2014 7:53pm
there is an Elliot House at Bridge Road in West Kirby but i doubt it was that rural in 1906.
Coincidently if you search for Elliots Lane on google maps it pinpoints a small bridge on a country lane near Frome in somerset but its difficult to spot any similarities.
Posted By: YinYang Re: Old postcard - 4th Feb 2014 10:35pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Coincidently if you search for Elliots Lane on google maps it pinpoints a small bridge on a country lane near Frome in somerset but its difficult to spot any similarities.

The photo bears some similarities with this one (Feltham Bridge) at Elliot's Green in Frome. think

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/129330
Posted By: andym Re: Old postcard - 13th Feb 2015 11:52am
Only just seen the posts today. I am the person who was selling it on e-bay.

It was posted to an address in New Brighton and the postmark is Liscard, Birkenhead.

We are having an on-going discussion on facebook as to where it is. I just wonder if it was somewhere else in the country why didn't the writer mention something about it in his comments.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Old postcard - 13th Feb 2015 1:42pm
How interesting - there's certainly a story of some sort behind it. Must have been very inconvenient for the locals until it was rebuilt! There would probably have been something about it in the local press at the time, but it would be difficult to search without knowing when it happened.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral