Forums
Posted By: MissM New Brighton and Disney? - 28th Jan 2014 10:42pm
I read on a local history site that there was once plans to build a Walt Disney park in New Brighton. Anyone got any further information on this?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 28th Jan 2014 10:46pm
They could build a water theme park.. oh that happened last month :-))
More chance of me winning the Grand National on a push bike than Disney happening.
Posted By: YinYang Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 28th Jan 2014 10:47pm
It was just one of those Mickey Mouse rejuvenation schemes that were rife in the 1980's...
Posted By: MissM Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 28th Jan 2014 11:09pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
They could build a water theme park.. oh that happened last month :-))
More chance of me winning the Grand National on a push bike than Disney happening.

It wasn't recent, apparently it was back when New Brighton was still a popular resort.
Posted By: YinYang Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 28th Jan 2014 11:14pm
There were ideas for a Disney scheme; also a Water Dome once upon a time. Similar ideas were put forward periodically from the 1960's onwards.

John Anton was one of those who proposed a Disney style development (see 'Pies in the Sky' article on the link below)...

http://wirralsociety.net/pub/wm.spr.05.pdf
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 28th Jan 2014 11:21pm
Maybe in Usa.
New Brighton, Minnesota,
New Brighton, Pennsylvania,
New Brighton, California or
New Brighton, Staten Island, New York.
But not our New Brighton, it would never take enough money to make it viable.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 28th Jan 2014 11:31pm
Originally Posted by YinYang
There were ideas for a Disney scheme; also a Water Dome once upon a time. Similar ideas were put forward periodically from the 1960's onwards.

John Anton was one of those who proposed a Disney style development (see 'Pies in the Sky' article on the link below)...

http://wirralsociety.net/pub/wm.spr.05.pdf

Nice find YinYang
Posted By: Gibbo Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 29th Jan 2014 2:49pm
I wonder how much it would cost to rebuild the tower?

If I won one of those Euromillions lotteries with a stupendous amount of money I could never spend, I'd love to waste some of it doing something like this, or a pier.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 29th Jan 2014 9:39pm
Somewhere between 1967 and 1970 the then Wallasey News ran a cover and two page spread on this, utilising the ‘dips'. This was long before the guy who was buying up bits of New Brighton with a hair brained scheme for which he had no funding (he also ran the Liverpool Garden Festival site into the ground and went bust when the feasibility study on the project found he had ZERO capital). I'm sure the archives for the old Wallasey news must be available somewhere if someone had the time to look.
Posted By: YinYang Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 29th Jan 2014 11:48pm
Originally Posted by ianbx1
...long before the guy who was buying up bits of New Brighton with a hair brained scheme for which he had no funding (he also ran the Liverpool Garden Festival site into the ground and went bust when the feasibility study on the project found he had ZERO capital). I'm sure the archives for the old Wallasey news must be available somewhere if someone had the time to look.

That guy was John Anton! Like I said, full details are on the link if you read the article lower down on the newsletter. yes

The reference library at Earlston will have the old newspapers.

Posted By: ianbx1 Re: New Brighton and Disney? - 30th Jan 2014 9:06pm
Yep I agree that Anton was the Guy doing the big buy up pie in the sky scheme BUT the one with the Front page and the two page spread in the Wallasey News was before him ('Somewhere between 1967 and 1970') and on thinking about it, it could even have been as far back as 1966 - 67. I'd love to look up this in the library but I work all week and can't get there on a Saturday. Maybe one day...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral