Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 23rd Jan 2014 11:41am
Has anyone got any maps they could share of the different areas of Wallasey (possibly 1950s/1960s that have house numbers on similar to my Birkenhead map (I've done the colouring in)
Just phoned up Earlston library about 1950S/1960S maps and they have and they can be scanned in sections (also photocopied)
The archives haven't

Hopefully someone on here has already done this and can give me copies of Seacombe, Wallasey Village, Liscard,Poulton and New Brighton

Description: Birkenhead 1950s
Attached picture full 1950s map.jpg

Description: part Birkenhead 1950s when I open the big map
Attached picture part 1950s map.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 23rd Jan 2014 2:25pm
What you doing Derek....a Vintage Pub Crawl ? tease
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 23rd Jan 2014 3:15pm
Trying to find and put on maps all the pubs that are in the pub index and still researching (particularly Birkenhead) then on to other areas.
The Wallasey ones and other areas are just street names to me and I haven't an inkling where many of them are or were.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 23rd Jan 2014 8:11pm
Derek

I have a 26 inch to the mile O/S map of Wallasey Village. They do not come much bigger scale than that. Do we know anyone with access to a big scanner? I could do it in A4 sections or at a pinch maybe A3 (the A3 scanner is a bugger to set up). Ideally we need someone in a professional drawing office/ plan maker business.

My guess is that I have scanned at least parts of this map some time in the past - from about the Cheshire Cheese to Grove Road. I am going to look for the files

Snod

***** Found it !! Miracles. 1.2 Mb file so I will put it on Google Drive and send you the link
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 23rd Jan 2014 8:23pm
Derek (or anyone)

Try this link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5luOCc3gfEudmlHRC1MY2l6ZUU/edit?usp=sharing

I am not good at using Google Drive so I am not sure the link will work - I am sure you will tell me if it does not

Snod
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 11:09am
Thanks Snod, but not quite what I wanted.
Want one with house numbers on 1950s/1960s
What date is that map?
On your map I've circled a PH which I think is opposite The Cheshire Cheese - do you know what its name was please?
Vaguely recall somewhere on wikiwirral maybe a painting by Hopps

Attached picture WV query.jpg
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 11:39am
Was the Ring 'o Bells

My map is dated 1954 - but of course the original survey could have been earlier. In '54 I was 12 years old (shudder) and I do not remember the Ring 'o Bells pub in the Village. Yes, there WERE paintings of the place by Hopps ( I have copies).

I lived in the Village almost all my life and as a kid the stretch from Breck Road to around Grove Road and from the railway line to St Georges Rd was "home territory". We used to sledge down Church Hill next to the Cheese so I am sure I would have remembered another pub opposite.

OK, so you want to know the NUMBERS of the buildings and who lived there. There are documents that will help.
I have added another file to the Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5luOCc3gfEucnczRG9MdzZZVHc/edit?usp=sharing

I do not have a date for that list but maybe I can find it

Snod
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 12:15pm
It's not for knowing who lives there.
It's to colour in and name any pubs - mainly old and gone pubs addresses I may come across or simply marked as PH or inn on the map when there may be several in a road or street.

ps
Was there ever an Inn opposite the Black Horse
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 12:55pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
ps
Was there ever an Inn opposite the Black Horse

I think I've got it wrong next to brewery

Attached picture wv inn.jpg
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 1:21pm
Never one opposite the Black Horse that I have ever heard about. The site opposite the Blackie USED to be the original "Stonehouse", indeed, on the wall of the locksmiths on the site now there is a plaque indicating this. The plaque is in real need of renovation.

I think the indication of "INN" on your map refers to the Black Horse - map makers are never very accurate with names like this and simply use the nearest bit of open space on the map to put their words.

Currently in what I call the Village we have
The Ship
The Cheshire Cheese
The Black Horse - I refuse to use the new name
The Farmers Arms
The Lighthouse
The Nelson

We used to also have
Ring o Bells
Royal Oak
Travellers Rest - I just about remember this one

Can't think of any others. Places like the Twenty Row on Leasowe and The Boot in Liscard are "non Village" to me

Snod
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 1:25pm
My map I think is about 1913 yours looks like earlier to me although superior. Possibly a tithe map early 1800s.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 1:40pm
Mine is standard Ordnance Survey that I bought from Bookland in Liscard. 6 Shillings. Plan SJ2992. It is dated as 1954

It shows the spaces in Stonehouse Rd/ Russell Rd areas where houses were bombed so there were at least some post-war revisions

Snod
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 1:42pm
Cant seem to get the links to work

Description: ????
Attached picture Untitled.png
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 2:22pm
click on the arrow just below file and download
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 24th Jan 2014 2:49pm
Doh!
Cheers Derek
wink
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 25th Mar 2014 8:50am
I bought a 25" OS map of Cheshire at Cheshire Record Office for £20 on CD. Last time I was there, they had very few left. I have emailed them to ask if they will re-stock. I will post their answer when it arrives. This sample is from the panel of the New Brighton area which was surveyed in 1871, revised in 1909 and this is the edition of 1911. The map covers the whole of (old) Cheshire at the same quality.

Attached picture Mason Hope sample.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 25th Mar 2014 12:47pm
Thanks Mike
Just what I'm looking for
When you get a reply from CRO could you kindly put a link to ordering it
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 25th Mar 2014 2:07pm
Is this any help:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=1...FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTFFFFFFTFF

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101597911
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 25th Mar 2014 8:34pm
Does anyone want maps I had for sale here? As long as they go to a good home. You can see the pictures in the for sale section.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 29th Mar 2014 11:44pm
Found this link, is it any use ?

http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/counties.html
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Wanted WALLASEY MAPS - 30th Mar 2014 8:53am
Derek do you want my maps of Liverpool and wirral for free? I had them in the for sale section but I know they will go to a good home.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral