Forums
Posted By: Reno37 Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 25th Dec 2013 1:19am
Does anyone please remember or indeed have any photos of what I know as Perrin Hall. This set of corrugated steel roofed building, some painted red in colour, was surrounded by a metal fence and was I beleive a community hall. It stood on the corner of Naylor Road and Tollenache Road, almost facing Lansdowne Road, and was opposite to the wall surrounding St James fever hospital, now a housing estate. My mum worked there serving teas and buns to troops during the dark days of World War Two. The old demolished hall now has sheltered senior residential properties on the site. Your help would be much appreciated. Many Thanks. Reno
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 25th Dec 2013 1:31am
Been mentioned here before, no pics.
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/265505/perrin_hall.html#Post265505
Posted By: kimpri Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 25th Dec 2013 1:42am
ctrl and + to zoom in
ctrl and - to zoom out

Attached picture EAW001779.jpg
Posted By: valli Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 25th Dec 2013 2:43am
Remember performing in a show there when I was about 8 so would have been 1966 a Neighbour from our Street made all the costumes,Our Dance school was At ST Marks hall Slatey rd .but as Perrin hall had a stage this was used for our show. sadly the photographs got lost when we moved I remember they did an article in Birkenhead news about our show .
Originally Posted by Reno37
Does anyone please remember or indeed have any photos of what I know as Perrin Hall. This set of corrugated steel roofed building, some painted red in colour, was surrounded by a metal fence and was I beleive a community hall. It stood on the corner of Naylor Road and Tollenache Road, almost facing Lansdowne Road, and was opposite to the wall surrounding St James fever hospital, now a housing estate. My mum worked there serving teas and buns to troops during the dark days of World War Two. The old demolished hall now has sheltered senior residential properties on the site. Your help would be much appreciated. Many Thanks. Reno
Posted By: bert1 Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 25th Dec 2013 8:27am
I'm not familiar with the building but going by the descriptions given of where it was, could be red area on maps, 1894 and 1938.

It could have been named after Joseph Perrin, one of the Commissioners of Birkenhead, a licenced publican and contractor. He was the Publican of the Wheat Sheaf Hotel, corporation Rd.

Attached picture 1895.JPG
Attached picture perrin.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 25th Dec 2013 10:14am
or was it here?

Attached picture naylor.JPG
Posted By: joney Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 25th Dec 2013 10:19am
I remember going to dances there in the late 40s, cant remember much about it so I dont think I got lucky.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 25th Dec 2013 11:33am
The L shaped building at the top of egan road, not sure that perrin hall was L shaped though. You're right about Joseph Perrin.
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 25th Dec 2013 12:26pm
Originally Posted by kimpri

ctrl and + to zoom in
ctrl and - to zoom out

And not forgetting

ctrl and 0 to reset back to 100%
Posted By: kimpri Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 26th Dec 2013 3:10am
Perrin Hall stood on the corner of Naylor Road and Tollenache Road, almost facing Lansdowne Road, and was opposite to the wall surrounding St James fever hospital

Attached picture Capture.PNG
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 26th Dec 2013 4:41am
i am sure it stood on the corners of egan, mercer and tolly. naylor road does not reach tollemache
Posted By: stanb Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 26th Dec 2013 7:36am
Remember going to many a jumble sale there in the 50s,really didnt have much choice as money for mum and dad was as rare as the proverbialy hens teeth.Think it was a threepenny bit to get in, then afterwards playing on the nannygoat mountains.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 26th Dec 2013 8:28am
The L shaped building, Tollemach Rd, Mercer Rd, Egan Rd,
1938 Kelly's Directory was St James Hall.

When did the name change take place?

Attached picture toll.JPG
Posted By: edbrooke Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 28th Dec 2013 11:28am
The "L" shaped building on the corner, as mentioned by others, is the one . My nan lived at 214 Lansdowne Road (first house in from Tollemache Rd) from 1937 to the mid 60's. My mum used to tell me about visiting the soup kitchen in the Perrin Hall during the war. I can clearly remember the red building in the late 50's early 60's, passed it often and my uncle's best mate lived directly opposite.
Posted By: jimmy3 Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 2nd Jan 2014 1:54pm
During WW2 employees of the VK and Auto Tickets were ferried by bus to Perrin Hall and volunteers provided a cooked meal between 12 and 1pm. Dances were also organised in the evenings which were very popular.Jimmy 3
Posted By: bigpete Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 24th Aug 2014 2:42pm
Originally Posted by stanb
Remember going to many a jumble sale there in the 50s,really didnt have much choice as money for mum and dad was as rare as the proverbialy hens teeth.Think it was a threepenny bit to get in, then afterwards playing on the nannygoat mountains.

I was going to comment - but I did exactly the same with me Nan and younger Aunties in the '70s wink
Posted By: taylorn72 Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 5th Mar 2018 8:44pm
Correct. I used to go to Perrin Hall and lived in Naylor Road
Posted By: Dominicmimische Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 15th Jun 2021 10:13am
Hi, it says, "I do not have access to download this attachment". Just wondering why that is the case? I would love to see these images if it is possible. Thank you. Very best wishes,
Patrick Crawford
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Perrin Hall Birkenhead North End ? - 15th Jun 2021 12:16pm
CLICK
© Wirral-Wikiwirral