Forums
Posted By: Reno37 Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 16th Nov 2013 11:22am
Hi! All you knowledgable people out there, I need your help once again please. I have a map 1898 relating to the above area of North End Birkenhead and have done a lot of searching concerning Stewart Street & Tyrer Street.I notice that Stewart Street was incorporated into the building of Ilchester Square when they replaced the Dock Cottages (Queens Buildings) and to complete the scheme the New Dock Hotel stood on the corner of Tyrer Street and Stanley Road, now sadly along with the community all gone. I have an old photo showing the Dock Cottages, Stewart Street and a derelict or grassed area, between it and Tyrer Street. My question is WHAT stood on the derelict or grassed land area before Ilchester Square was built? was it houses or factories etc. The map does show a hotel stood on the Stanley Road end of the grassed area directly opposite Townsend Street in 1898, but this is NOT the New Dock Hotel. Any info or links would be very much appreciated Many Thanks Reno
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 16th Nov 2013 8:47pm
Originally Posted by Reno37
The map does show a hotel stood on the Stanley Road end of the grassed area directly opposite Townsend Street in 1898, but this is NOT the New Dock Hotel. Any info or links would be very much appreciated Many Thanks Reno

I think it was the dock hotel and when it was knocked down they rebuilt the pub on the corner of stanley rd and tyrer st and renamed it the New Dock
Hence the name New
Posted By: kimpri Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 16th Nov 2013 9:17pm
look here https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...ster_Square_The_Dock_Cott.html#Post17087
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 17th Nov 2013 8:50am
A few bits which may help.

Attached picture stew.PNG
Attached picture 1902.PNG
Attached picture stewart st.PNG
Attached picture tyrer.PNG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 17th Nov 2013 8:56am

Attached picture plan.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 17th Nov 2013 11:58am
So, was it
firstly Dock Hotel - Dock Cottages pub demolished
then a new build as New Dock Hotel - Stanley Road/Stewart St
then renamed New Graving Dock Hotel Stanley Road/Stewart St
then reverting back to New Dock Hotel - Stanley Road/Stewart St

ps I think I may have been the last person to have a drink and a smoke in there.
When they were pulling it down I got one of the workmen to take a pic of me with a glass of whiskey (from a bottle I took along) in one hand and a ciggy in the other
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 17th Nov 2013 1:04pm
From some street directories
It's interesting to see the house numbers in Stewart st run consecutively and not odds one side and evens the other side [the houses on the other side from the pub must have been built after 1916]

1861 mawdsley
DOCK HOTEL, (Wm. Laurence,) 8, Stanley road

Laurence Wm. New Dock Hotel, 8, Stanley road

Stewart street,/ro7?t Dock cottages.
4 Wilkinson Joseph Bird, butcher
7 & 8 New Dock hotel, John Rimmer'

Rimmer John, New Dock hotel, 7 & 8 Stewart street

New Dock hotel, Thomas Hpm'y Hughes

1916 numbers may be wrong
New Dock Hotel, 56-57 Stewart street.

Powell, John, New Graving Dock
Hotel, 5, 6 and 7 Stewa!t street

STEWART STREET
(lIchester Road)
1 Wilkinson, WilIiam, baker
2 Wilson, Willialll, bricklayer
3 Brown, JollII Willial1l. dock gateman
3a Hou~hton, Fre<leriek, butcher
4 Cash, nob"lt, dairyman
6 new Graving Dock Hotel
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 17th Nov 2013 1:15pm
So the old one was remamed the new dock before it was pulled down then?

Originally Posted by derekdwc
ps I think I may have been the last person to have a drink and a smoke in there.
When they were pulling it down I got one of the workmen to take a pic of me with a glass of whiskey (from a bottle I took along) in one hand and a ciggy in the other

Come on derek, show us the pic smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 17th Nov 2013 1:15pm
1916 directory

Attached picture 1916 Stewart st.jpg
Attached picture 1916 Tyrer st.jpg
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 17th Nov 2013 1:20pm
Looking at that map it shows townsend st running through stanley rd and tyrer st not as long as it is now
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 17th Nov 2013 2:19pm
Reno37 Post a copy of your map if possible please and mark off the area you're interested in.
Posted By: Reno37 Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 18th Nov 2013 9:00am
Hi! DerekDWC Thanks for your super offer of assistance. The best I would offer, as the 1898 map is a bit small, is to refere to the excellent post from Bert1 who offers a super map of the area a lot better than mine. The area I am interested in is the area shown between Stewart Street and Tyrer Steet, and what looks like a built up area of possible busines's etc. There is a bit of confusion on both maps as it shows at the corner of Stewart St, an area marked as Stanley Buildings with a building bordering Stanley Road marked as the 'New Dock Hotel' this is confusing me. Can you offer any help please. It would be most appreciated. Many Thanks Reno
Posted By: Mark Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 18th Nov 2013 9:49am
I have been told that the "New Dock Hotel / Pub" was further up the road to where it was last situated.

So the map above makes sense as it would have been the old corner of Stewart Street (Which i never know existed).

Where the New Dock was finally demolished there used to be more shops on the same side but facing Tyrer Street.

That's what ive learned been told over the years.

Over the road you had lee's Tapestry over Stanley road there are pictures about, i think if you follow kinpri's link above. I'm thinking the "Dock Cottages" may have come about due to industry over the road ?? But probably more about the popularity of the docks.

See this Topic Click Me
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 18th Nov 2013 11:37am
Derek as already pointed out the numbering of Stewart rd.
I'm not sure what year the Plan/Map I put up is.
I would guess after than 1916.
The 1911 Enumerators summary book shows Stewart St with the New Dock Hotel in that street, the Stanley Buildings its attached to are Stanley Rd.
During the 1911 census, any industrial buildings in Stewart St opposite 1 to 8 would not have been enumerated had they been unoccupied on the night of the census.
However, any buildings there, industrial or private, should show in a directory.

Note below, Graving Dock Hotel, Beaufort Rd.

Attached picture enum stew.PNG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 18th Nov 2013 12:58pm
Enlarged pic
Where NEW DOCK text is on MAP is where it was originally built .The pic is where it was rebuilt further along towards St James church
Is the area you're interested in the land with no buildings on the other side of Stewart st?

1876 TOWN MAP

Attached picture Stewart stm100095_329748_390132.jpg
Attached picture dock hotel large.jpg
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 18th Nov 2013 1:20pm
When it was rebuilt it was moved further away from st james church.
It looks like the map and the picture show the new dock in the same place.
It was not rebuilt twice was it?
Here is it's last location

Attached picture dock_hotel_large.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 18th Nov 2013 1:40pm
sorry my gaff - you are right
Just re-read Mark's post in the link
Posted By: Tatey Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 19th Nov 2013 8:02am
Is there any truth in the rumour that Derek was on the hod when they built the first Dock pub? ;-)
Posted By: Reno37 Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 25th Nov 2013 12:04pm
Thanks to all you very knowledgable people of Wirral I have now found the information I wanted and am very grateful for all your help.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 25th Nov 2013 12:15pm
Please share the info.
Don't leave us ignorant

I wonder if there was a pig slaughterhouse there as suggested by Mark where the men working there would go for a pint at dinnertime in the Dock and have to hang their aprons so any blood on them would drip into a tub that was put underneath them
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 25th Nov 2013 1:59pm
wasn't the slaughterhouse on the corner of Townsend and Challis st
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 25th Nov 2013 2:00pm
double post
Posted By: bigpete Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 24th Aug 2014 2:56pm
The Blood Tub - as you probably know was one of its nicknames - I thought it was from the blood shed by a fair few of its more robust patrons...
Posted By: bigpete Re: Ilchest Square & Dock Cottages - 24th Aug 2014 2:57pm
I don't have any recollection of the 'new' Graving Dock Hotel name - only associate that with Beaufort Road and the plain old Graving dock Hotel
© Wirral-Wikiwirral