Forums
Hi all. Im after some info. I have recently found something whilst metal detecting at my horse yard.

I think I will just start with the pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is a winners medal type thing. The writing on it is as follows,

Presented to
J Bethell
member of the
winning lifeboat crew
R.M.S
Berengaria

It is also dated 14 Sep 1931, and has hallmarks (possibly silver).

The front reads, The Cunard Steamship Company Limited.

I have tried to do abit of research, and found out it could possibly be a John Bethell. If alive now he would be 101. After this I've hit a wall.

What I want to do is find out who this belonged to, and get in contact with either him (if still alive) or a relation.

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks all.
The 'Berengaria' was orinally a German owned liner,taken as reparations after the First World War,possibly as a replacement for 'Lusitania'.

Bob.
Hi explore , very interesting find you have there . My married name is Bethell, not a very common name really , my brother in-law has been doing family tree , will ask him if there is a mention of a 'john' in a seamen role .
Originally Posted by 8HBob
The 'Berengaria' was orinally a German owned liner,taken as reparations after the First World War,possibly as a replacement for 'Lusitania'.

Bob.

Full history and photograph on this link: http://www.chriscunard.com/berengaria.php

Interestingly, the article mentions that the ship ran aground on more than one occasion in the early 1930's. Wonder if the medal had anything to do with that?

If you're on facebook, you could possibly try contacting Chris Cunard and ask if he has any information concerning the ship's crew... https://www.facebook.com/chriscunard. Failing that, there's bound to be an archive for Cunard you could investigate.
That's a very interesting find. I'm curious whether you found anything else of interest? Do you 'detect' anywhere else other than your yard? I've always fancied doing a bit of metal detecting, but I've never had the equipment or the cash to purchase any. What equipment are you using? Did it cost much?

From the local history books I've been reading of late, there are some great sites (no doubt saturated by metal detector folk!) on the Wirral.
Thanks for the info everyone.

Thanks Bob.

Missy, did you manage to ask your brother in law?

YinYang, i'm not on Facebook, so will investigate an archive for Cunard.

Clayman22, I havn't found anything else of interest yet, apart from a really big horse shoe! I'm fairly new to metal detecting, and was using a Minelab musketeer, but that's a more advanced detector, so went and bought a Garrett ace 250 and it's great! I would recommend this to any new comer to the hobby.

No, I havn't been else where apart from my horse yard. Metal detecting is not permitted on the Wirral or any of its foreshores, unless you are on private land with land owners permission, which is a real shame I think, but others would disagree.

I am using a Garrett ace 250 at the minute, I got it on Wednesday and I love it! Got it for £189.95 with free postage, and 2 years warranty off Ebay.

You should try and get one, I wouldn't mind some company whilst detecting, and someone to compare finds with. Maybe you could get one, and we could seek permission on those places you mentioned.
Sorry not yet, he has gone away for the week-end ,but i will do..
Originally Posted by x_plore
...I wouldn't mind some company whilst detecting, and someone to compare finds with. Maybe you could get one, and we could seek permission on those places you mentioned.

You could always join a local metal detecting club.

The West Kirby one holds its meetings in Wallasey...

http://westkirbymdc.co.uk/
Ok missy.

Thanks YinYang, I will look into that smile
Originally Posted by YinYang
...I wouldn't mind some company whilst detecting, and someone to compare finds with. Maybe you could get one, and we could seek permission on those places you mentioned.

You could always join a local metal detecting club.

The West Kirby one holds its meetings in Wallasey...

http://westkirbymdc.co.uk/

Looks like I have just missed out on one of their monthly meets, as it was yesterday! Oh well I will just pop along to the next one I think.
Hi
I think I might have an answer to this, it sounds like my Great Uncle Larry. He was born in Hoylake in 1899 and died in the mid 1960's. He was a merchant seaman. You might wonder how Larry relates to J. Bethell and the answer lies in his full name - John Laurence Bethell; for some reason he didn't like John so used his middle name.
Seafaring ran right through the family, his ancestor Robert Bethell set up one of the first lifeboat stations in Towyn, North Wales.
Most of the family lived in the Hoylake/Meols area and were fishermen up until Larry's generation.
Larry, you may have noticed, did not live to a ripe old age. He was quite badly injured in WW2. As I recall he was on a ship that was torpedoed. He eventually had to abandon ship and go into the water which was full of fuel spilling from the ships tanks. My grandfather said that he was never quite the same afterwards and some blame was apportioned to the toxicity of the fuel in the water.
I hope that helps
Tim Bethell
Fascinating. Any idea if he actually served on the Berengaria in the early 1930's?
I'm not sure at all to be honest. We don't have anyone left within the family from that generation.
Originally Posted by Bethell
...his ancestor Robert Bethell set up one of the first lifeboat stations in Towyn, North Wales.
Most of the family lived in the Hoylake/Meols area and were fishermen up until Larry's generation.

Bethell or Bithell? (...lots of Bithells in North Wales)

Sounds like an interesting family history all the same. happy
Can't find any evidence John Lawrence Bethell sailed on the Berengaria, he did sail aboard the Samaria 1943 and Media 1948, both Cunard ships, he was a light trimmer.
There was a John Bethell on it according to this site

http://www.ellisisland.org/shipping/FormatTripPass.asp?sship=Berengaria&BN=P00338-8

Click on his name on the list. He was 24 years old when the ship arrived in New York on 2nd November 1923. That date and age of him ties in with what Bethell says.

Great information Bethell, thank you very much smile
Found it, 1930

Attached picture jib2.JPG
Great stuff Bert1 smile
Perhaps your horse yard is near, at the time of his death in Clatterbridge Hospital 1965, he lived in Manor Rd, Hoylake.
Yes my horse yard is very near there, on Park road, Meols.
Just seen the updates, it looks like you have your man x_plore!!!
I do indeed, thank you very much Bethell, I am most grateful.
I can tell you that Larry had no children and his wife, who he met on the high seas, was American and died over 30 years ago. The nearest living relative is my father who is his nephew who knows far more about Larry than I do. If you would like to speak to him just let me know.
His wife's name was Rose Selina Bethell, don't know her maiden name, some more digging and below may be the ship he was sunk on.

Attached picture john bethell.JPG
Attached picture ship.JPG
You are right Bert, Auntie Rose used to babysit me when I was a child
Thanks Tim, think I have all the history I need now, you where a great help, thank you.

And Bert1, wow, you don't half know your history smile
If you or your dad want to see it let me know
I will ask my dad and get back to you.

Thanks

Tim Bethell
Thanks Tim, think I have all the history I need now, you where a great help, thank you.

And Bert1, wow, you don't half know your history smile

...I reckon bert should set himself up as a private detective!

Nice one, bert. sherlock
Awesome thread and great news on getting to the bottom of the mystery.

Well done everyone clap
© Wirral-Wikiwirral